1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Debate] Romney vs. Obama - 10/3/2012

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Cohete Rojo, Oct 3, 2012.

1. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

Unfortunately, like many politicians, going back and doing a 180° on things he says, with a smile, is his specialty. Actually, he's the best (worst) I've seen in a race like this.

Doubling down on "you can't pin me down because I can't pin me down" was his best plan of attack, apparently. It should be his undoing, but last night it worked.

2. Nook

Nook Member

I am glad someone else noticed that....

3. Rocket Guy

Rocket Guy Member

4. Raz

Raz Member

Thanks for that. You have to understand, as a foreigner, not all the terms are common to me, but I still think that's way too theoretical and ideological - as it was in last night's debate.

5. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Yes, Romney clearly won this debate. In a way, Obama let him. The President had numerous chances to hammer Mitt, with openings for attack that you could drive a truck through. I'm expecting a huge ad buy in the media by the Obama campaign telling the public what the President should have been telling the public himself during the debate, and using Romney's own words to do it. Will that be effective? We'll have to wait and see.

As an aside, I had to record the debate myself, having plans I couldn't get out of last night. :)-

6. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

I still think Obama's behaviour last night was caculated. Whether it works, we'll see.

Obama Camp’s Post-Debate Plan: Expose ‘Serial Evader’ Romney

President Obama’s top aides didn’t deny on Thursday that Mitt Romney had a strong first debate. But by taunting fact checkers with a vague set of newly centrist claims, they believe the governor has left himself open for a major counteroffensive this week.

Obama senior strategist David Axelrod characterized Romney’s debate strategy as “effective in the short term, vulnerable in the long term.”

“Governor Romney came to give a performance and he gave a good performance and we give him credit for that,” he told reporters in a conference call. “The problem with it was that none of it was rooted in fact.”

He highlighted three areas in particular where the campaign planned to aggressively highlight Romney’s debate claims and press for more specifics: health care for the sick, tax breaks for the rich, and regulations on Wall Street.

7. YallMean

YallMean Member

Obama did much better when he was challenging. Now on the driver's seat and challenged by Romney as to why he did not do this and did that, Obama simply didn't counter effectively. I am really not too impressed with his line of balancing act of give and take. Mr. President, these questions raised by Romney are legitimate, and you need to justify to America why we should keep you in the office after the past misrable 4 years. We don't need to hear lame duck response about comprising in the politics. We want to hear justifications, a plan to get us back out of this downturn.
    Romney did not give out much wonky stuff many had hoped, but Obama is just too disappointing. No one deserves a job in view of such a bad economic record without outlining a vision for the next term.

1 person likes this.
  8. Major

Major Member

That sounds like pure campaign spin to me. You don't intentionally trade a loss in a nationally televised event and let a loser media narrative develop in exchange for some ad openings and the ability to call the guy a serial evader - something you already could and were doing anyway. You especially don't do that when you're ahead in the race and have no reason to want to shake the race up.

1 person likes this.
  9. RocketRaccoon

RocketRaccoon Contributing Member

Probably until the next debate. And if Romney wins that one, I don’t think there are any amounts of ad buy that will help. People know that anything they see on the tube can be fabricated to fit an agenda. But when it comes to debates, man, that is so telling. If Obama wants to stand a chance of being re-elected he’s got to be much better prepared next time. Like you suggested in a way, it’s his to lose.

10. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Silly.

Throwing a national debate like last night to setup ad buys would be like a football coach telling his team that is up by 14 to let the other team score a touchdown because it will force them to kickoff to their dangerous kick returner.

11. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

True. It makes no sense to have things turn out like they did.

However, that's not to say playing conservatively/defensively is a bad choice.

His demeanor sucked (although that is fixable), but it was his lack of counter-punching that really dropped the ball. You can play it close to the vest, but you have throw a jab once in a while. I don't expect Obama to go on the offensive in any of these debates (incumbents typically don't anyway), but he's going to have to open up the playbook a little next time.

12. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I agree conservative was the approach but but you can still win, or at least have a good showing, with a conservative gameplan.

13. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Romney makes for a strong candidate in a world that doesn't exist.

14. body slam

body slam Member

I want a new car.

15. MoonDogg

MoonDogg Member

[​IMG]

16. da_juice

da_juice Member

Doesn't matter. Democracy is all about perception.

17. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

18. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I am certain that this was a deliberate strategy on Team Obama's part to not go after Romney hard just that the execution didn't come out that well.

I am predicting the VP debate will be much more negative from both sides.

19. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

biden will most certainly take the gloves off. he may say something dumb but he will defend his boss. should be pretty good theater.

20. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Reading this thread and the other debate threads I have a suggestion for everyone. Listen to the debate again without video. I think a lot of people are reading more into this debate from the expressions.