1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

Is there something about Walt I don't know about?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Ace, Aug 25, 2000.

1. Ace

Ace Contributing Member

We always seem to refer to Walt as "trade bait" or sometimes even as a "scrub."

However, I have noticed how players on the Rockets team seem to refer to Walt Williams as a key member of the team.
    Steve Francis is often heard praising the Wizard, and he seems to get along with the guys very well.

Just today, as I was listening to the press conference, Mo Taylor said something like:

"This is a great situation for me, especially with guys like Steve Francis, Cuttino Mobley, and Walt Williams.

Now, my question is:

Is Walt worth more than we think he is?
    Is the chemistry he has with the players developed to the extent that it would be a shame to give him up?

------------------
    Nederland 2002 Qualifying Campaign (Damn those penalties!!!)

Houston Rockets Space Center- Not just another ClutchCity.NET clone. We're that and more! :)

2. vince

vince Member

Yes he is.

Here is why. Francis is a great scorer playing point guard very well. This is when you need walt. You need a Wizard to get the ball into Francis's hands.

Without Walt who is going to get the Ball to Francis when he cuts throught he lane. Mobley, hahahahaha, nope; when mobley gets the ball the only place it is going is either the basket or bouncing of the backboard.

Though Mobley can still pass but having two speedies running left and righ will only confuse the defense. Williams is crucial because of his ball handling abilities and good passing; not to mention his big body and ability to bang it with the big boys in the paint.

Wizard is not a star and can go into shooting slumps but his positives go well with a 39% shooting. As long as Wizard does not live on the 3-pt shot, then he can undoubltably make 39%+ on field goals. And that is all that is being asked of him.

------------------
    The guns are cocked and the soldier are in place, it's time to march and let the battles decide the war.

3. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

Ace,

it's hard telling which is the real Walt Williams. The guy who struggled for 60 or so games and averaged less than 10 ppg or the guy who averaged close to 18 ppg for the last 20 and was almost unstopable.

The latter will have to show up early this season as the Rocks have a tough first couple of months. I guess we won't have too long to wait for an answer.

------------------
    GATER

4. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I noticed the same thing you mentioned, that the young players really seem to like him. Before I read your post, I was just wondering if it would piss off Francis and Cat if the Rockets traded Walt. Well, I hope that their good chemistry translates into good combined efforts and performances on the court and not into being lazy and doing somewhat ridiculous things like the headband stuff they did. Towards the end of last season, Walt seemed to play much better. If that is a result of the good chemistry with the young guys and he can maintain that level, that would be great. However, he has been quite inconsistent throughout his career, so I would say, watch the first half of the season and see if he can deliver consistently and if he doesn't, trade him if you can.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Det The Threat (edited August 25, 2000).]

5. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

From my perspective, Walt's problem is not so much what he has done, as what he hasn't done. As a player who came into the league with such extreme promise, he has steadly declined physicaly through what appears to be is own appathy.

From a fan perspective this is the ultimate sin, and the ultimate slap in the face. If Walt had from the beginning spent his summers with personal trainers and in weight rooms, he could have been a perennial all-star. Instead, he has devolved into little more than Tracy Murray. Other athletes who seem to suffer from the same malady have suffered from similar derision. The two who come to mind off the bat are Derrek Bell, the former parriah of the Astros, and Derrek Coleman, the greatest bust from a team of great failures at Syracuse.

[This message has been edited by Ottomaton (edited August 25, 2000).]

6. SwiftRocket

SwiftRocket Member

I think steve and cuttino would not care if walt was traded b/c walt is replacable. There are more players in the nba doin exactly wat he is doin and ask for less money than walt is askin. We even have one of those players on our team and his name is dan langhi. I can t wait to see francis and mobley playin w/ dan. Then they will see that walt wasnt all that. Ofcourse every1 is goin to say that walt is bigger and stronger at the sf. But if walt and dan are asked to play one on one. I d definetly put ma money on dan. Bottom line when dan starts playin w/ francis and mobley, they will easily forget about walt. Jus u wait n watch.

------------------

7. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

Hey, the headbands were cool.

If Damn Lanky developes into a true scoring threat, I wouldn't mind seeing Walt dumped for a more defensive minded SF like George Lynch, as someone else on the board suggested.

------------------
    I am so exasperated that I could expectorate.

8. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

I don't think we should start trading away the roster just because Mo' was signed. He is going to be a good addition, but we still need to keep the core together and Walt is a part of that core as things stand.

Trading Walt only hurts the team because of what he can bring with the long range bomb and the mid range jumper. Unfortunately, Walt is always going to be a player that needs a minimum of 8-12 shots a game. If he is hitting, feed him the ball more. He is a guy that can put points on the board in bunches. If his shot is off that night, then it's time to take the ball out of his hands. I think it was that strategy that made him a more effective player over the last 20-25 games of last season.

------------------
    Don't you have anything better to do?