1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Daryl Morey on 610 (2011-12)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HMMMHMM, Dec 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trackwell

Trackwell Member

:cool:I hope we go 6-60 for the season....................and I hope the Amare and Melo both tear their ACL's in the next week or so! Thats what I root for nightly with the NBA league pass:rolleyes:

2. Doctor Robert

Doctor Robert Contributing Member

He said he wants to make the playoffs, so I wouldn't consider it lowered expectations. I would call it reasonable expectations. If our goal is not to tank, the last thing we want to happen in this compressed season is for the guys to decide they are losers based on the first 10 games, which as Morey stated is a very tough schedule. Besides, we have a new coaching staff and we're coming off a wacky offseason.

That goes for the fans as well. If it looks like a rough start, we don't want the fans to abandon ship.

3. roslolian

roslolian Member

This. DM's basically saying the first 10 games should dictate where we'd be going this season (push for playoffs or tank and get 2 picks in a loaded draft). If we went 0-10 you'll probably be seeing Scola and KM in a lot of trade rumors.

4. Spooner

Spooner Member

You should be ashamed to call yourself a fan. You should be even more ashamed to call yourself a human being.

5. Trackwell

Trackwell Member

You should be ashamed by your screen name, I am assuming you are spooning with your boyfriend watching Golden Girls. I am a decent human being, I just love the Rockets! I want the Knicks pick to be worth something great, just not top 5;)

6. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

So far this year I've been getting a huge kick out of watching Knicks games and rooting for them to lose. Maybe not so much get hurt for the year, but you won't see me shed a tear when any Knick sprains an ankle. It's like last year but even better this time since we're definitely getting a pick.

7. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Post Gasol (sic) those two are in the every rumor category already.

It would take 22-redux for that to end.

8. Trackwell

Trackwell Member

I agree, I watch every game hoping a star goes down for the season. I know that sounds horrible, but I love my Rockets and I would be so pumped if the Knicks missed the playoffs!

9. TriCkz

TriCkz Member

Lol.!!!!! YEAH HAHAHA

10. Trackwell

Trackwell Member

I am hoping that Amare and Melo get into a gambling dispute of an Air Plane, and then they try and settle at Madison Square Garden, and Amare pulls a gun on Melo and then Melo pulls a gun on Amare and then BOOM......both suspended for the season. I will take that senario as well:grin:

11. charlieaustin

charlieaustin Contributing Member

WTF? Maybe all the players in the league other than the Rockets will die and the Rockets will win the title by default. :rolleyes:

12. Trackwell

Trackwell Member

I don't want the whole league to hurt......I just want to scoop up a top 10 pick from the Knicks:cool:

13. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

Sounds like DM is talking about Patterson as a backup C. I know Hill is a better 4 than a 5 but I'd rather see Hill backup Sammy and Patterson backup Scola.

14. acsorelle4

acsorelle4 Member

I'll leave the asterisk championship to LilBJ and his entourage of nuthuggers. Let's just fastforward to next year.

15. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Well he was saying Scola goes well with a defensive-minded center which is true. The problem is, only Patterson and Dalembert among our bigs is a plus at defense (Jordan Hill despite his looks still lacks on that end, much more than he does offensively). So really you're looking at a combo of Scola-Dalembert with backups of Patterson-Hill, or vice versa Scola-Patterson with Hill-Dalembert.

If any of you watched the season last year, Patterson-Hill might have been the worst two person combo we ever played. For whatever reason they had no chemistry. It was more like utter pandemonium with each guy getting in each other's way on offense and then having no spacing at all on defense. Not that they don't like each other. It's just that they don't seem to be able to play next to one another.

16. J.R.

J.R. Member

http://houston.cbslocal.com/2011/12/29/morey-excited-for-good-young-nucleus/

http://houston.cbslocal.com/?podcas...=true&config_file=config.xml&dcid=CBS.HOUSTON

Josh and Greg, what's up man.

Josh, Greg, how are you doing?

Good. Obviously you're hyped up. Got the home opener tonight in front of a juiced, packed house huh?

Yeah, Tad Brown and Gretchen and crew have done a good job. Houston fans are really coming out to support us tonight and we're excited.

You look at the team you are putting out on the floor. You knew you wanted to get a big man, you added a big man in Samuel Dalembert. What is he going to do over the stretch of the season to make this team better?

Obviously he is getting integrated quickly here. I think folks saw what he could do in the first game. He is a guy who can really rebound, really intimidate drivers, and the big we were hoping to bring in and shore up one of the biggest defensive weakness, which is having a guy that can really intimidate the opponent.

I know people around the water cooler still talking about the trade that was then wasnt. I thought it was a good trade that made everyone better. What were your feelings?

We really moved on. It was one that we thought could help the Rockets or you dont do the trade. Its gone, we got to move on. No excuses. Put the best team out there and get back to working towards being a championship contender.

Moving on, who are the guys who really need to step up this year in order for the Rockets to have a successful season?

Great question. We really need...like Kyle Lowry did last year. We're gonna need one or two of those surprises. Kyle could take another step forward and build on what he did last year. Pretty much every player on the roster is a solid player or improving and has some ability. Kevin Martin is going to be more focused defensively. He could take a step forward. Chase or Courtney are both young players who could both improve. Terrence Williams, who might have the most high end ability of anybody on the team, maybe he can put things together this year. Patrick Patterson can build on his first year, which was very successful. Jordan Hill, with his athletic tools, he was very good in the preaseason, training camp and game one as well, he can take a step forward. Up and down the roster, we have guys with the ability to take a step forward. It easy to say it but they gotta do it for us to be a strong playoff team, we're gonna need one or two of those guys to take a big leap forward.

Before the season, you said the goal is to get into the postseason. Seeing the team right now, have expectations been elevated with the signing of Dalembert?

Sam helps a lot with our playoff chances obviously. I think the West as well, there are a lot of good teams, but if we have a couple guys step forward, we could get into that mix. I think there are probably 9 or 10 at most teams fighting for 8 spots. We have the ability to get into that 6, 7, 8 seed and because we're doing it in a way with young players, improving players, solid guys on good contracts, I think that is a formula for success going forward. To me, its not just getting to the playoffs is not the goal of the Rockets at large, but doing it in the way we are doing it with young players improving, and a bunch of solid guys we can build around, thats why we'd be very happy to make the playoffs and maybe make some noise like Memphis did last year. Beat a....surprise a team in the first round and make a run.

You went out and got a new coach to lead this team. What has impressed you the most about Kevin McHale?

His strongest skill is his overall basketball experience and intelligence. He has had every prominent role in the league. Been a head coach, been a GM, been obviously a top 50 player ever, and you put that in a package with a very smart man who works hard and surrounds himself with a very good staff, and listens to them and works hard, we're positive in what he can bring. He brings strong communication skills with what is a pretty young team and think that is an asset as well.

As a GM, you see the way players are in the league and how guys want to player with another star or two and form superteams. As a GM, how has the game changed over the last few years now that more guys are wanting to play together like this?

I think thats been a dynamic...I actually think thats a good dynamic for us. Its gonna help us. It actually hasnt helped us yet but will at some point. Houston is a big time city that players want to play for. If we can get one, or next year we'd have the cap room to convince two, two stars to come here, I think that trend is good for us. I think it is a little overblown but its good for us. Other thing is the league is getting smarter. Other teams are getting more and more sophisticated. Thats a bad trend obviously. We want every other team being dumb and stupid but reality is, especially even in our division, you got well-run teams in San Antonio and Dallas, and Grizzlies are really good right now and New Orleans has been good. Thats a negative trend--is that how smart teams are getting. A positive trend is the desire for the players to team up in good cities because we are a very good city.

How frustrating does it become, you see that marquee FA only wants to play in NY or LA or in this certain market. How frustrating does that become for you when a marquee guy only says hes interested in LA, NY or Chicago.

To me again, I see that trend, I think thats more of good trend than bad trend. Because of the way the CBA works, a lot of the players are limited in their salary at different levels. Houston is a city that guys really want to play for at every level. At the high level we have it, but even at the Sam Dalembert level. He turned down more money, a better contract to come play for Houston. Thats gonna benefit us more than it hurts us. People are seeing it as a negative. I see it as a positive. Especially where we are situated in Houston. People really like to play in Houston.

Out of the moves made in the league, any you can point to that will be game changers?

Obviously Chris Paul going to the Clippers is the biggest. Clippers will likely be a playoff team. Prior to that, I think our playoff odds were better, frankly. We were clearly better than the Clippers. Now we'll be battling them for a playoff spot. Thats the biggest offseason move for sure.

That's Daryl Morey. Appreciate it. See you tonight.

Absolutely. Thanks for having me on. We got some great season ticket packages and New Years Eve game on Saturday is always a fun game to bring the family to. 6 pm start so sets up well for the festivities after, after we get a victory over the Hawks that night.

Appreciate Daryl.

Thanks very much.

1 person likes this.
  17. DallasThomas

DallasThomas Contributing Member

These are two telling quotes, IMO.

I think it shows that Morey has 2012 free agency high on his list of options for upgrading, and he thinks he has a legit chance of pulling 2 superstars in it.

I'd be on the lookout for Morey trading Scola and/or Martin for essentially nothing.

As always, thanks for the writeup, hsf!

18. Trackwell

Trackwell Member

Dude whats stars is he talking about???? Howards not coming here? Williams is not coming here? What star or stars are coming here??

Im tired of all the fluff

19. desi tmac91

desi tmac91 Member

Chris Paul picked up his option so Morey going to try a hailmary for both Dwight and Deron Williams?

Love the bolded part on Dally too.

Interesting stuff hs09, repped.

20. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Thanks hsf09. Seems Daryl is pulling double radio duty.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.