1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Expansion Team Challenge

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by da_juice, Oct 4, 2011.

1. da_juice

da_juice Member

Yep, just be reasonable with your roster. 'd hate to see this devolve to a bunch of people arguing whether or not their Lebron, Amar'e & Rose team can beat Wade, Howard & Dirk. ;)

2. da_juice

da_juice Member

Are the people who posted teams still involved?

3. HI Mana

HI Mana Member

Here's my team, perhaps it will inspire others to contribute.

For most of the reasons that GovAggie stated, Mexico City seems like an ideal place to land a new expansion team. No where else can match the combination of arena, population and money that Mexico City has. As for a team name, I'd go with Aztecas. I don't know Mexican culture, however, so if this is a horrible, offensive name, my apologies in advance.

In terms of the roster:

BOBCATS:
    (Protected)
    White
    Augustin
    Henderson
    Thomas
    Cunningham
    Maggette
    Diaw

Aztecas select: Eduardo Najera; Nice little bit of trivia for the franchise, as the second Mexican-born player in the NBA becomes the first player in Mexican franchise history.

As for the Bobcats, dropping Najera's salary would give them some additional salary relief on a player who was injured for most of the year.

BULLS:
    (Protected)
    Rose
    Noah
    Deng
    Boozer
    Gibson
    Asik
    Korver
    Brewer

Aztecas select: Keith Bogans. Definitely a flippable asset here; a defensive-minded starter might be able to get a late first from a team like Boston or Miami later on. For ~1.7M in non-guaranteed salary, this is a no-brainer.

MAVERICKS:
    (Protected)
    Nowitzki
    Kidd
    Terry
    Marion
    Beaubois
    Fernandez
    Jones
    Mahinmi (Tough choice, but I really doubt they fail to sign Chandler, which makes Haywood expendable)

Aztecas select: Corey Brewer. Young, cheap player that had the Celtics, Spurs and Mavericks beating down his door when he got dumped by the Knicks. I actually like Haywood as a player, but he's probably untradeable, and the 3rd year on his contract will affect the first full-capped year in franchise history.

PISTONS:
    (Protected)
    Monroe
    Daye
    Bynum
    Wallace
    Maxiell
    Stuckey
    Gordon
    Villanueva

Aztecas select: Richard Hamilton, after the Pistons send a lottery protected first rounder, $3M and the Rockets 2012+ second rounder. Rip will be immediately waived and not count against the salary cap.

On the other hand, the Pistons badly need to get rid of Rip at this point, and would save almost $19M in this deal, also allowing them to amnesty Villanueva. As for the expansion team; there's no way I want a disgruntled player being forced outside the country, and since our cap is shot the first two years anyway, we should easily be able to absorb the money left on his contract without it affecting the future.

ROCKETS:
    (Protected)
    Martin
    Scola
    Lowry
    Patterson
    Lee
    Budinger
    Dragic
    Williams

Aztecas select: Jordan Hill. Can't pass up the opportunity to get a high upside big man, even if I've personally soured on him.

PACERS:
    (Protected)
    Granger
    George
    Hansbrough
    Hibbert
    Collison
    Hill
    Jones
    Stephenson

Aztecas select: Brandon Rush. Amazed at how deep the Pacers are. Would love to give Stephenson a chance, but I think they'll give him one more shot.

LA CLIPPERS:
    (Protected)
    Griffin
    Kaman
    Jordan
    Gordon
    Bledsoe
    Aminu
    Foye
    Williams

Aztecas select: Willie Warren. I need someone to put the ball in the basket, and if there is one thing this guy can do, even inefficiently, it is score. Von Wafer potential here, especially on a team with no need to win, and the ability to get him a bunch of shots off the bench.

GRIZZLIES:
    (Protected)
    Gay
    Gasol
    Randolph
    Mayo
    Conley
    Allen
    Arthur
    Henry

Aztecas select: Greivis Vasquez. Tough, gritty, playoff experience. Thought he would be a massive bust, but had a surprising rookie year. Good backup PG.

HEAT:
    (Protected)
    Wade
    James
    Bosh
    Haslem
    Miller
    Anthony
    Chalmers
    Jones

Aztecas select: Dexter Pittman. Probably a bust, but you can't teach size.

T'WOLVES:
    (Protected)
    Love
    Beasley
    Randolph
    Johnson
    Rubio
    Ridnour
    Webster
    Milicic

Aztecas select: Anthony Tolliver. Young big man with 3 point range? Sign me up. I do like Pekovic here as well.

ZOMBIE SONICS:
    (Protected)
    Durant
    Westbrook
    Harden
    Ibaka
    Perkins
    Sefolosha
    Collison
    Maynor

Aztecas select: Cole Aldrich. Lottery pick shot blocking center? Absolutely worth the gamble. Crazy that they can afford to leave him unprotected, but look at that core 8!

76ers:
    (Protected)
    Iguodala
    Holliday
    Brand
    Williams
    Turner
    Young
    Meeks
    Speights

Aztecas select: Craig Brackins. Young, long scorer who is probably a bust, but why not? Don't think I can get Hawes to stay as an UFA, unfortunately.

BLAZERS:
    (Protected)
    Camby
    Aldridge
    Wallace
    Felton
    Oden
    Matthews
    Batum
    Williams

Aztecas select: Luke Babbitt. Tough to say which 2010 draftee the Blazers will let go, Babbitt or Williams, but they seem to be overstocked at the 3/4 and lack a PG. Plus, they've spent so much effort on rehabbing Williams, I would think they'd give him a shot first.

KINGS:
    (Protected)
    Evans
    Cousins
    Hickson
    Thompson
    Salmons
    Thornton
    Greene
    Taylor

Aztecas select: Fransisco Garcia. Overpaid, but at least he can play. Plus, comes off the cap in 2 years, so does not affect the franchise's first real Free Agency.

RAPTORS:
    Bargnani
    Derozan
    Bayless
    Weems
    Davis
    A. Johnson
    Barbosa
    Alabi

Aztecas select: Jose Calderon. Toronto sends a lottery protected first rounder and $3M cash. I need a point guard, and once upon a time, Calderon was the model of efficiency. Maybe he can get it back; if not, his salary is off the books by the time the team hits full cap status, and I picked up a potentially valuable pick down the line. I could cut him, and have roughly $10M in cap space as well.

So the final roster would be:

PG: Calderon/Vasquez
    SG: Garcia/Bogans/Warren
    SF: Brewer/Rush/Babbitt
    PF: Hill/Tolliver/Brackins/Najera
    C: Aldrich/Pittman

Total salary: ~$39M, with $0 committed after 2013. Ideally, with a few high draft picks and a breakout by either Hill or Aldrich, the team could be competitive in as little as 4 years.

Pretty awful, but when you look at what the Bobcats ended up with, outside of Gerald Wallace, this team is quite a bit better, with a surprising amount of upside in the front court, and strong defense all the way around.

2 people like this.
  4. da_juice

da_juice Member

Interesting team, I can't really comment since you're the first team, but in terms of expansion rosters, that's not too shabby.

5. RocketsRed14

RocketsRed14 Member

Almost forgot about this lol.

Question:

Do we assume that each team will keep 8 players instead of say 5 because of bad contracts?

6. da_juice

da_juice Member

Good thing for HI_Mana, I was starting to worry we wouldn't have it.

As you your question, you don't have to have every team protecting 8 players(although you can if you like) just make sure that whatever scenario of protected players you do have fulfill the league rules (as posted on page 1 by myself and BimaThug)

7. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

You know what would be better than an expansion draft?

A contraction draft. Next week, we should start one.

We can figure out which two to four teams we want to eliminate.

8. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Damn, Hi Mana! That was a very well-thought-out expansion draft roster.

You properly accounted for cap flexibility two years out, when the expansion team would first be entitled to spend the full maximum team salary. You added mostly young players with potential. You took on a couple of bad contracts in exchange for future first rounders, while still keeping those trades reasonably realistic.

All in all, for what it's worth, excellent job!

9. da_juice

da_juice Member

Bobcats, Hornets, Kings, Clippers.

Move Toronto to the Western Conference.