1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How will cancellation of season effect our '12 draft

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by E.Recasner, Oct 11, 2011.

1. Stevierebel

Stevierebel Contributing Member

Knicks pick is top 5 protected in the 2012 draft

2. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Honestly. I think it would be better inclined for the Rockets if they took a shot at it. This draft is loaded.

3. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

I wonder if the draft would be like the 2005 NHL draft, would make things interesting?

4. josephnicks

josephnicks Member

the 14 lottery teams should each have 1 ping pong ball.. pick out a balls live until you get to the last ball that ends up with the #1..

5. josephnicks

josephnicks Member

(cont) then lottery picks would have a much higher trade value..

6. redhotrox

redhotrox Contributing Member

Yeah, pretty interesting.

Imagine if the Rockets drew a top 5 pick and the Knicks' pick fell in the 6-10 range. :eek:

7. meh

meh Contributing Member

It seems that any scenario that weights past seasons should be good for us, since it could easily make the Knicks pick valuable, and won't hurt us much. I think with a season, the Rockets should be in the 10-14 range and the Knicks 15-20 range. Basically no shot at a top pick.

Not that I'm rooting for cancellation of the season. But assuming Morey doesn't have some sort of tanking scheme, it could actually work out better long term. If anything, it would instantly make us contenders if we get 2 top-10 picks(or 1 top-5 pick) and the ability to lure a top FA.

8. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

If I was the arbiter of how the 2012 NBA Draft order would be determined if there were no 2011-12 season, I think I would use a modified version of the 2005 NHL model (modified to account for the fact that getting a top NBA draft pick is more influential than getting a top NHL pick, usually):

--No team would be guaranteed at lease one ping pong ball. If you're the Lakers and have made the playoffs in each of the past three seasons, then sorry, you don't get a chance at the #1 pick, or even a lottery pick, for that matter.

--If you've received a top-3 pick (i.e., your number combination was selected during the NBA Draft Lottery process) in any of the prior three drafts, then you lose a ping pong ball. Not just for #1 overall picks. Caveat: if you won a top-3 pick with ANOTHER team's pick (like both Cleveland and Utah did this past draft), you do NOT lose a ping pong ball. That was just the benefit of a separate trade. Conversely, if you traded away your first round pick and it turned into a top-3 pick, then you lose a ping pong ball. That was the bargain you made. Sucks to be you, Clippers.

--Since not all teams will have a ping pong ball, you keep selecting ping pong balls, starting with the #1 pick and going until every team with a ping pong ball has been selected (until #18; see below). THEN, in a separate drawing, you give the remaining teams (those with no ping pong balls in the "main" drawing) each one ball, and fill out the remainder of the first round (#19-30; see below) until all teams have been selected.

--All pick protections from prior trades are effective.

--Based on these modifications, the weightings above would be changed to the following:

3 balls: Golden State, Sacramento, Toronto
    2 balls: Charlotte, Detroit, Houston, Indiana, Milwaukee, Minnesota, New York, Phoenix, Washington
    1 ball: Cleveland, Los Angeles Clippers, Memphis, New Jersey, New Orleans, Utah

--For the second round, give each team in bold above an extra ping pong ball, give all teams picking #19-30 one ping pong ball, then select picks #31-60 completely by drawing.

From the Rockets' perspective, this system is both fair AND has the benefit of greatly helping the Rockets in potentially getting two top-10 picks. Houston would have almost a 6.1% chance at the #1 pick (2/33) and a substantial likelihood of landing at least one pick in the #6-10 range.

Just a thought.

2 people like this.
  9. redhotrox

Sign me up for that lottery system in the worst case scenario that we lose the whole season, Bima.

It does look a lot more fair. Perennial contenders shouldn't have a shot at top picks. And NJ just got the #3 pick which netted them Deron...and Minny's had top 5 picks each of the last three years. Seems fair for those teams to lose a ball.

And of course I love the part about the Rockets having a good shot at two top ten picks. Instant rebuild ftw! :grin:

10. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Thanks. The only downside is that, if New York--which has an equal shot to Houston--gets a top-5 pick, you're potentially looking at a 2012-13 Knicks team that could do some damage, resulting in a 2013 first round pick to the Rockets in the #22-28 range. The Knicks may be the biggest beneficiaries of this system, in fact. They just added two star players, just made the playoffs last season AND get one of the best chances at the #1 pick.

Come to think of it, given New York's great chances, perhaps David Stern pushes this system through! ;)

Still, I think it's a fair system overall. Let's just hope this is all a moot point.

11. redhotrox

That would be horrible if NY got a top 5 pick.

Watch, they would sign CP3 too, with Billups coming off the books.

And then their ‘Big 4’ would mean a 30th pick for Houston. :mad::mad:

12. da_juice

da_juice Member

That's probably the fairest system there could be, the only teams that wouldn't deserve the 1st overall (IMO) would be Memphis and NY.

However, such a system is probably too fair. The league will probably give each team "equal odds" for #1, mysteriously the Heat will get #1, New York will get #2, Boston will get #3, the fourth team will be OKC so that way critics can't say that they're favouring big markets, and the Lakers will get a high pick on the condition they trade it for Dwight Howard and the Magic's pick.

Think of the revenue, so many possibilities. You have a Lebron-Kobe finals the first year, then maybe a Lebron-Durant Finals. We see slugfests between historic rivals like Boston and NY year after year, maybe even a Boston LA final. Every year, there's a constant battle between LA and OKC in the West and NY, Miami, Boston constantly switch between 1,2, and 3 every season. The owners receive a high BRI, and attract new owners to buy expansion teams. The NBA implements 30 new teams across the globe, the teams struggle, and all their stars leave for big American cities, but the fans don't care because they can see Lebron dunk 1/120 regular season games a year.

/prediction

13. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This post gets me excited for a lockout. That is pretty high praise... Thanks Bima!

14. senter

senter Member

15. nolimitnp

nolimitnp Contributing Member

They wouldn't do another lottery? That's seems unfair. Wouldn't help us, but damn the Clippers shouldn't get #1 overall.

I think they should let 2K12 simulate the upcoming season and draft with that outcome!

16. True Rocket

True Rocket Member

Celtics have the clippers pick next year...

Drummond
    Garnett
    Rondo
    Pierce
    Allen

Boom!

17. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

a little OT but rather than starting a new thread I'll ask it here.

Do contracts get bumped out if the season is cancelled? For example, do contracts that were set to expire in summer 2012 now expire in summer 2013?