1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

BREAKING: Rick Adelman is out as Houston Rockets coach

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by karthik.08, Apr 18, 2011.

1. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Also YES we have a mediocre roster.

That is exactly it. I've said it before, this team is mediocre. Nothing more nothing less. Guess what...they finished with a mediocre record too.

Now people are trying to make it seem like Rick did something amazing. He led a mediocre team to a mediocre record.

2. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

While the front office is sending people out the door, they should let the international scout go and appoint OHMSS to the same position.

3. Hball

Hball Member

Thank god...tired of all the soft players he brings in to fit his system which will never equate to championship.

4. drankupinmycup

Ultimately I'm worried that losing Adelman affects the actual, as well as, market value of our players. Yes we have talent, but let's not forget it was Adelman manipulating that talent to a point where we all considered this to be an overachieving season. Especially after your PG, the toughest position to play in the L, makes such a huge leap, you off the coach responsible?

I am not discounting our players effort, nor their skills. But you have got to be kidding me if you think Adelman didn't get more out of them than 95% of coaches out there. So now we won't only regress, but our "assets" suddenly won't be so attractive to potential suitors.

5. Ramathorn006

Ramathorn006 Contributing Member

A mediocre roster built by a mediocre GM. Yes I said it. Morey hasn't dont anything spectacular either so he should be at fault. Treating players like assets, telling fans this will be a special year, low balling our own free agents. Morey is over hyped.

1 person likes this.
  6. inishi

inishi Member

The nuggets also don't have a hole the size of Kirstie Alley down in the paint, they are in a weaker division, had Melo half a year. Teams in the east don't count because its the east. Look at the records of some of the teams that made it in, and who they play all season. Rockets have a deep bench. Cool. They start at least two players that would not start for most teams, and one of them happens to be your 6'6 center. Not a recipe for winning.

7. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

You are dead wrong. We don't have a mediocre team playing mediocrely, we have a sh!tty team playing mediocrely. If we sent these pieces elsewhere they wouldn't fare nearly as well as they did. With that said. WE STILL DIDN'T MAKE THE EFFING PLAYOFFS. We still don't have a ring. We are playing out of level and its still mediocre. If this is not a litmus test for change, I don't know what is.

8. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Funny, this is the third straight well-respected coach fired by Les Alexander after a winning season.

9. rock4ever

rock4ever Member

Again your logic offbase.

Your talking about a proven HOF coach who got to finals before and was robbed of a series in Sacramento. If you wanna talk championship, you gotta have CHAMPION caliber talent and that doesn't fall on the coach. It falls on the GM. Plus, if the Rockets were looking for a proven champion, why would they be looking for a "younger" coach with less credentials? That "formula" is backwards:rolleyes:

PS. Stop ducking my question

10. inishi

inishi Member

Makes so much more sense to work on the roster instead of getting rid of a hof coach. Morons. People that blame the rockets lack of success on the coach are ignorant.

11. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I've already made this argument against the East. Fact is Rockets don't have the best record against some of those teams so you can't really say that if you put them in the East they'd be in the playoffs.

That's fair. But I don't know why Adelman is suddenly the one exempt from all of this. I guess people have forgot the start of the season :confused:

Most of CF wanted him gone...

You are what your record says you are. To say the team is crap and is playing mediocre is to give no credit to the players at all.

How many times did Lowry bail out the team? How many times did the Rockets prevail even though Rick had drawn up a bad play. What about the games where Brad Miller did nothing yet stayed in the game? All these games count for the coach too, where he made mistakes and cost the team games. Like how he was hellbent on giving Brooks all the minutes in the world.

It goes both ways as how many times did players miss wide open shots? I can't count how many times Martin disappeared in the 4th qtr or Scola turned the ball late in the clutch because he tried to do too much.

Point is, not one person unless it is a Lebron James type has THAT large of an effect on a team. If the team is that crappy then you and others are saying Rick was good for 20+ wins.

12. danoman

danoman Contributing Member

I think this is the right move for both partiesTime to trade Martin i have no problem with lee starting we have to address the center position. BTW why are some of you guys crying for? I like how utha just gave away deron williams( a healthy franchise star player) and they are moving along just fine we should learn from them.

13. Raven

Raven Member

Morey was hired to do two things, surround Yao and Tracy with a strong supporting cast and accomplish that without overpaying. In both task, he excelled, but it was too late, because we lost our star shot blocker and our star play maker to injuries.

And what's happening now should have happened two years ago, but that's on Les not Morey.

Aside from yapping to the media too much, I think Daryl has been an excellent GM, but he definitely needs to lower his profile.

14. pugsly8422

pugsly8422 Contributing Member

I guess this means extensions are coming for Brad Mills and Gary Kubiak......

Pugs

15. YaoMac09

YaoMac09 Member

Maybe now we can rebuild instead of playing Miller's corpse.

16. Ramathorn006

Yeah and I was part of the 20% that knew that the season wasn't over the the first 2 weeks of November unlike everyone else. Yeah I agree Adelman has been stubborn at times but the way he looked at it was that the Rockets brought him there to win, not rebuild. He put players on the floor that would give him the best chance to win. Name any coach in the league that can win 43 games in the NBA with a 6'6" starting center? No one. It falls on the GM's inability to upgrade the roster in a position of need which was the center position.

17. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Also there is no point to do this. Teams behind the Rockets are behind for a reason and teams ahead are ahead for a reason.

I mean we can all guess and assume that Rick is a HOF coach so he'd take any bottom feeder team to the post-season. Just like Nelson was a HOF coach and struggled with his Warriors?

Or how Sloan started to lose control of his teams? The point is the head coach does not have this super large effect in NBA to the point where you can take a trashy team to the promise lands. That's some NFL stuff.

What about all the bad coaches who have success with good teams? Was Byron Scott really that good of a coach? He seems to always get a job and be held highly in regard Or was he just fortunate to coach a couple of good teams?

Most of the teams behind the Rockets are less talented and most of the ones in the playoffs are more talented. They have a W-L record for a reason.

1 person likes this.
  18. Ramathorn006

Fair argument. True Daryl didnt know that Yao wasn't going to break down like he did, but I feel he held his cards too long and eventually he loss. He didnt take a gamble or seemed to scared to take one.

19. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

I'm not answering your question because as I stated before your question can't be answered. I don't know what direction this team is headed. Is this going to become a defensive team, offensive team, is it going to be a 3 guard lineup, what direction are we headed? To assert who is better or worse as the Rockets coach next season is blindly speculative at best. The direction this team is headed is obviously a new one, but only Morey and Les know where this is going. So yes, there, as I said before I answered your question.

I'm not saying the Rockets are looking for a proven winner, I'm saying the rockets are headed in a new direction. They have tried the Rick Adelman route, it didn't work with this team (not Sacramanto and not Portland, both very strong teams he coached but still not analogous). The Rockets are trying something different here. They are switching out parts of the equation. The coach is the easiest thing to pop out and insert something in his place. The GM, owner, and players are the hardest thing to switch out. It's blind experimentalism. That's all it is. I won't sugar coat it or glorify it, we are just going in a new direction. Adelman does not facilitate this change and was subsequently let go.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the talent isn't suspect too. This team is clearing house. Players will get traded and released. We will see an entirely new team. Sometimes the best solution to a problem is just starting over at the beginning, rather than to try and retrace your steps and figure out what went wrong.

20. inishi

inishi Member

stars do make that much of a difference. Look what the rockets did with Yao and Ron. Who knows how far they would have gone if Yao had stayed healthy. There isn't a center that can guard him when he's on, and that makes a HUGE difference. That is why thy are stars, that's why everyone wants one.