1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Epic Movie] The Hobbit: Part 1 (coming December 2012)

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by dmc89, Apr 1, 2011.

1. dmc89

dmc89 Member

Gandalf is a Maiar, meaning a spirit made by Tolkien's God before the universe of LOTR is made.

But, his incarnate form as Gandalf the Grey lived for ~2,000 years before he was killed by a super-demon in the Two Towers.

Finally, Gandalf the White resumes the old man look, but he is younger than 21 years in both the book and movie before he leaves Middle Earth and sails across the sea to the Undying Lands.

2. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

Thought Freeman was great in Sherlock, really looking forward to this.

The thread title made me think that there was gonna be an Epic Movie parody sequel based solely on the Hobbit (the part 1 being a reference to Mel Brooks).

3. dmc89

dmc89 Member

Also, there will be a 2nd part to the movie whose story begins at the end of the book, the Hobbit, and ends at the beginning of the LOTR.

It's a 60-year time-span where enough doesn't happen to justify making a movie. It's the only part I'm concerned about, since Tolkien never wrote a book about it, just paragraphs as getsmartnow mentioned. The writers making the screenplay will be making up their own story.

Rather than making a movie that might fall considerably short of the high bars set by LOTR, part 2 should've been filmed as a 30 min. additional story in the extended edition of the Hobbit.

4. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I've been salivating over The Hobbit being filmed with the same imagination and care as The Lord of the Rings was by Peter Jackson. Yes, I had some problems with Jackson's LOTR (a company of Elves coming to Helm's Deep? I don't think so!), and I think he got a tad too melodramatic at times, but was astonished, all the same. I expect to see departures from The Hobbit in the new film, hopefully few in number, and more melodrama, but I also expect to love it. Can't wait!

5. Jontro

Jontro Member

Ahh OK. Thanks, although Gandalf the White didn't look anything close to 21 in the movie. Maybe they just left that fact out so no CGI was necessary for Ian's aged face.

Also I assume Frodo being in this movie is just going to be for one of those flashbacks effect.

6. dmc89

dmc89 Member

Haha that would be terrible.

I thought the [movie] tag that people place to label threads on forums was insufficient for the probable greatness of a Tolkien movie made by PJ.

Maybe the subject should've read, [Movie] Peter Jackson's The Hobbit?

7. dmc89

dmc89 Member

No, no. For whatever reason, the demi-gods in Arda (the world where everything happens in Tolkien's books) always make the human form of the Wizards as old men. They could easily make them young men, but they don't, maybe image purposes to look authoritaive? Anyway, Gandalf the White looking like so aged is faithful to what Tolkien wrote.

8. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

Actually the fact that Bilbo didn't seem to age was a plot point and evidence leading Gandalf to believe that the ring he had found was in fact the Master ring. They even covered this in the movie version of Fellowship when Gandalf said, "You haven't aged a day." That is why Bilbo looks SO much different at the end of Return of the King, the ring was no longer keeping him young. If you are going to point out on screen that the character looks the same after 50 years or so, it makes more sense to go with the same actor.

9. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/uE-1RPDqJAY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

10. Lynus302

Lynus302 Contributing Member

From what I remember of the books, it wasn't that Bilbo hadn't aged at all, but that he had aged very well, retaining his youthful vigor because of the ring.

I don't know if I said that very well, but it makes sense to go with a man a bit younger than how Bilbo appeared at the beginning of Fellowship.

11. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

I don't have my copy with me, but here are the links to wikipedia and a LOTR wiki that both either say or imply the ring prevents natural aging.

12. Lynus302

Lynus302 Contributing Member

Hrm...Guess you're right. It's been some time since I've read those books. I thought ring just really slowed down the aging process, as opposed to halting it outright.

13. DBrunk01

DBrunk01 Member

FYI:

Don't have links at the moment...

But from what I've read, Frodo's involvement in the Hobbit movies is that he will be shown reading from the book, telling the story to a group of Hobbit children perhaps. This is how they'll tie these two Hobbit movies to the LOTR trilogy, with Frodo reading the story and serving essentially as a narrator, not unlike how various characters' voices served as narrators in the LOTR trilogy.

Legolas' father was certainly heavily involved in the goings on of The Hobbit, just as Gimli's father was among the group that went with Bilbo. I imagine Legolas' presence could simply be explained in this way, being around his family and people, and also allow for showing why he begins LOTR as being already bitter toward dwarves as a people.

14. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

That's how I interpreted it also. Quoting from FOTR:

"Time wore on, but it seemed to have little effect on Mr. Baggins. At ninety he was much the same as fifty. At ninety-nine they began to call him well-preserved; but un-changed would have been nearer the mark."

So was he literally unchanged, or figuratively unchanged? In the movie, I think they did do a flashback when Bilbo first encounters Gollum, and he looked younger. Of course, in that flashback that used Ian Holm. But to do an entire movie with Ian Holm playing a much younger man (or, I guess, Hobbit) would be tough both physically for him and also tough for the audience to believe it.

15. dmc89

dmc89 Member

16. ashiin

ashiin Member

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

17. Chuck 4

Chuck 4 Member

Read in the new EW that Leonard Nimoy is rumored to be voicing Smaug the Dragon. This would be EPIC.

18. getsmartnow

getsmartnow Contributing Member

Peter Jackson's first video diary of The Hobbit is here. No embedded/YouTube link yet, but shouldn't be long. Also available on Peter Jackson's Facebook page.

Looks good so far!

1 person likes this.
  19. Chuck 4

Chuck 4 Member

Thanks for that! Looks terrific.

Here is the embedded video now:

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/FfesknLk5uI?hd=1" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

20. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

I didn't read the books but there are a lot of hardcore fans that are upset over the Itaril/Ronan character in this movie. Evidently they don't know who Itaril is, and this character has a leading role?

Either way it's kind of funny that I saw Hanna over the weekend and the first thing I thought of when I saw Saoirse Ronan was she looked like a Lord of the Rings character.