1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron] Morey hope to atleast get a starting center by trade deadline

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Ramathorn006, Feb 10, 2011.

1. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

Cross off Asik, Fesenko, and Randolph cuz he's not a center. I'm cool with everyone else, though...

2. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

I think morey could get better value for luis than javale mcgee...

3. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Randolph is a center just the way Amare is a center. He can play the 5 and create mismatches. And against big low post 5s, Randolph can front them the exact same way that teams used to front Yao. Because of Randolph's athleticism he could get by playing the 5 just like Amare does.

4. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

A'mare doe not play the 5, he merely squats there. His O ability is off the charts and that's all the Knixies are asking for.

Sure, Randolph can man the 5. But for an aspiring contender? No, but against a 2nd unit 5? Sure, maybe. Trading for AR is underwhelming as a 5 solution.

4s as 5s have worked, Issel and Cowens have shown that. They were special and they ain't walking thru the door anytime soon.

5. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Respectfully, I think you're nuts if you really think Anthony Randolph belongs playing the five in this league.

NBA centers do not weigh 220 lbs. That might work in one of these small ball systems but we aren't a small ball team. Our 6'5" center starts out of necessity, not by choice. Furthermore, Randolph isn't doing himself any favors at selling himself as a stretch five given that: 1) He has no outside shot -and- 2) He can't sniff the court for a team that has zero depth.

I'd take a free pass on Randolph just to see if something sticks, but I have a feeling his Houston Rockets career would be defined by the number of DNP-CD's he racks up rather than anything he does on the court.

6. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Randolph's natural position is the 4, and he still needs some time to fill out so he can stand his ground. He's athletic enough to slide over and play some 3 in certain situations, but no way is he a 5.

As we've seen with the Chuck Hayes experiment, playing center has just as much to do with stength and how one uses their body to gain position, as it does with height. Randolph may be tall, but he's not strong enough to play center.

#126 Aruba77, Feb 11, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2011
  7. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

He's a major reason why Dallas has been able to turn things around this season. By finally getting a legit center after years of pretending that guys like Bradley, LaFrenz and Dampier were the answer, getting Chandler has allowed Dirk to play more in the high post which is his greatest strength. He should be deadly come playoff time. I had wanted the Rockets to go after him for some time but I can understand their concerns about his feet given what's gone down with Yao and his feet.

The Rockets just got out worked on this one because it was the Mavs trainer who worked with the US National team last summer who came back and convinced Mark Cuban that Chandler was truly healthy and hence they made that deal. He was supposed to be a backup but has played so well that he's made Haywood a backup. And I don't see them letting Haywood go because the two of them give Dallas a great one-two punch come playoff time. But this is the type of deal I'd like to see the Rockets make whenever.

8. Seth

Seth Member

I think the only reasonable option that can be traded to Houston at a cheap price is Brendan Haywood from Dallas.
    He lost his starting job at the hands of Tyson Chandler at the begining of the season and Dallas also has a cheaper (and worse but not a lot) version of him in Ian Mahinmi to sub Chandler.
    Haywood recently signed a 6 year MLE contract. So unless Cuban is out of his mind about Haywood he should be smart and let him go for Jared Jefries Expiring contract.

9. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I'm pretty sure it's for more than the MLE. It's a six-year, $55 million contract.

10. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Call Cubes and get a 'Heck, yea, in a NYMinute.' It would be the (im)moral equivalent of a 'get out if jail free' card.

You want BH? What about for Al Harrington's unwanted contract? You might still say 'No'. For Jeffries? Not a blasted chance!

11. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I would much rather have Jeffries than Haywood. Jeffries plays better defense. Haywood isn't getting pt with Dallas now. Neither one are scorers.

12. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Dallas's Left overs? Damn we're in baaaad shape!

13. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

Haywood is a TOXIC contract...stay away at all cost.

14. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

Haywood isnt coming so I dont have to worry about it. Assuming Morey is after Asik he is probably putting all of his eggs in a few baskets he really wants and Haywood is off his radar. He doesnt sound like a Morey acquisition.

15. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Haywood, a middling 5, with a contract that pays him like a 9? No, not DM the GM's usual target.

16. J.R.

J.R. Member

You dont really want Haywood, do you?

10/11 $6,900,000
    11/12 $7,624,500
    12/13 $8,349,000
    13/14 $9,073,500
    14/15 $9,798,000
    15/16 $10,522,500*Final season completely unguaranteed if waived on or before August 1, 2015
    Total: $52,267,500

17. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

somebody's got to get paid. going rate for big men is always high. the fact that the last year is unguaranteed makes it much more tolerable.

18. anchel

anchel Member

Didn't know this:

Reading this article by Larry Coon, I assume that AB would be considered a free agent during the draft days, so he could not be traded if not signing a new contract previously, right? Something very unlikely given he is a restricted FA.

This one sets pretty high the chances of a Brooks trade happening before the deadline.

19. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

What a horrible contract, I'm with you, who'd want that? What was Dallas even thinking?

Man I wish Morey could have landed Chandler. The Rockets would have been much better IMO.

20. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

All joking aside, you are right but in reality, this is nothing more than exchanging bodies at the end of the bench. I think it's a fallacy to expect him to make an impact just because he's 7 foot tall. But hope springs eternal.

Anyway, I find it simply hilarious that yesterday everyone was crushed because Chris Bosh showed his hinney to Houston and now they are celebrating the possible acquisition of Tyson Chandler as being a game changer for the Rox.

So you are happy to trade Jared Jeffries for another version of Jared Jeffries and that's OK?

No, I haven't blown up but now I may just go and get NBA League Pass so I can sit back and LOL at Chandler trying play center. He can take the place currently occupied by Eric Dampier.

Excuse me if I don't buy into the premise that getting a so-called player (and I loosely use the term player with regards to Tyson Chandler) for nothing really means that you wind up with something. If replacing Jeffries (who is nothing) with Chandler (also nothing) translates into something that excites the folks here then party on dude. But like I said, if they were looking for another big stiff, Dampier is available AND I'll bet Donnie Nelson would take back Andersen because he just luvs foreign players.

Have you even seen him attempt to play center? He is worse than awful. In fact, he makes Dampier look like positively Hakeemlike and Damp also has a $13M expiring contract. I'd take Brad Miller over him any day and I think Miller is a joke as well. You might as well resurrect Shawn Bradley - that way you can laugh along with everyone else. And wasn't it Morey "The Genius" who went and got Andersen and then pretended last season that he, too, was a legit option at center?

Seriously? TYSON CHANDLER? He completely changes the makeup of this team alright, it will suck even more. But hey, if it's big stiff players that floats your boat, then why not go after Eric Dampier? That's $13M of can't play center in an expiring contract just sitting out there.

2 people like this.