1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Congresswoman Shot

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by rimrocker, Jan 8, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

This pretty much sums it up.

2. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Why are you turning a thread about this tragedy into your own personal "Libs suck" blog? If you have something of substance to say, say it, but quit spamming.

3. da Whopper

da Whopper Member

4. da Whopper

da Whopper Member

POLICE: BUSH BASHER SMASHES DISABLED TEEN

By PHILIP MESSING

Last Updated: 11:31 PM, April 23, 2008

Posted: 11:30 PM, April 23, 2008
    Comments: 0
    More Print

A man heckling First Lady Laura Bush and daughter Jenna outside the 92nd Street Y was arrested after he punched a wheelchair-bound girl whose parents has told him to shut up, authorities said yesterday. German Talis, 22, was shouting obscenities at the Bushes, who were leaving the building Tuesday, when he crossed paths with Wendy and John Lovetro and their daughter Maureen, 18, who has cerebral palsy.

They had been in the audience to hear the Bushes talk about their children's book, "Read All About It."

"He began yelling about Iraq and Iran at Jenna Bush. She was waving at the crowd. I told the guy, 'What are you doing? Shut up. This is about a child and books,' " said John Lovetro. "He was unperturbed. I said, 'Get out of here! You're being a moron!' "

The next thing he knew, Talis was allegedly punching Maureen - a fan of the first lady since meeting her in 2004.

"I heard my daughter hysterical yelling, 'He's hitting me!' " said Wendy Lovetro.

"He punched her on the shoulder blades, but that wasn't enough," she said.

"My husband pushed the wheelchair away from him and he reached beyond my husband and began pounding my daughter in the thigh."

The two men fought as the president's family drove off. Cops broke them up and busted Talis on charges of assault and resisting arrest.

Maureen was not seriously injured.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/news/regional/item_e4GDFfEFW8Xdv5CeOGREoJ#ixzz1AehMvquf

5. da Whopper

da Whopper Member

6. da Whopper

da Whopper Member

7. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

It's pretty apparent this has a touched a very raw nerve for him and he feels compelled to overcompensate.

Probably sublimated guilt expressing itself inappropriately, the way children lash out when their developmental state does not have the adequate maturity to deal with emotional situations.

1 person likes this.
  8. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I hate to break this to you, as you're a perceptive soul, but I am suspecting he may not be operating on the same BBS plane as you.

9. da Whopper

da Whopper Member

Sign at the March 20, 2004 "Global Day of Action" anti-war rally.
    [​IMG]

10. da Whopper

da Whopper Member

A Molotov cocktail explodes in front of the San Francisco Chronicle offices during the "World Can't Wait" rally on November 2, 2005.
    [​IMG]

11. ChievousFTFace

ChievousFTFace Contributing Member

Take your meds whopper...

12. da Whopper

da Whopper Member

A mother helps her young daughter play "Pin the Molotov on the Cop Car" at the Anarchist Bookfair, March 18, 2006.
    [​IMG]

13. da Whopper

da Whopper Member

Patriotic message in the parade following the March 20, 2004 rally.
    [​IMG]

14. da Whopper

da Whopper Member

Call for global "armed resistance" at the "Insurgence Solidarity March" on April 10, 2004.
    [​IMG]

15. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

so its sad that people have turned this political in your eyes, so in retaliation you go full out spazz mode in a thread about a woman clinging on to life with a bullet in her head.

how classy of you

16. rockergordon

rockergordon Member

RE: WHOPPER:

http://gothamist.com/2008/04/24/bush_league_fig.php

Update: Based on comments questioning the accuracy of the Post's article (one commenter writes, "In the girl's deposition to the police there is no mention of the protester punching the girl"), we've contacted the NYPD for more information about the incident. We'll update once we have an answer from the NYPD.

Update, April 30: We spoke to the NYPD, who said that police officers from the 19th Precinct were called to the 92nd Street Y about two disruptive people who refused to leave. According to the NYPD, Talis assaulted another person, causing a laceration, and was charged with assault 3. The NYPD said the Post's account of a wheelchair-bound teen being assaulted was untrue.

17. SunsRocketsfan

This thread sure got derailed. The title and original post was about a congresswoman that was shot. It has some how morphed into a democrat vs republican war again and how the other side is so much more hateful and evil than the other.
    What the hell? Why does everything have to involve politics? A woman was shot and several others were killed. It's a huge tragedy. If anything good comes out of this I hope Gifford can recover and continue to serve her term.

1 person likes this.
  18. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

if anything good comes out, I hope the political rhetoric is toned down (not blaming this on political rhetoric but it puts things in perspective)

I hope america takes a look serious look at mental illness. an interesting post in this thread talks about how this is the age (the shooter) things start to really get worse for the mentally unstable. when you think about the shootings on college campuses and such that seems to be true.

19. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I apologize for not including you in those that for some reason find it unwilling to criticize politicians who say things like "If ballots don't do it, bullets will"

The conclusion that anyone asking to tone down the rhetoric is saying the violence is based on that rhetoric is idiotic. The guy made a faulty conclusion, and based his article on it.

To try and turn a tragedy into something positive isn't laying blame.

The fact is that whether or not the shooter heard Angle's and KAufman's words the shooter carried out exactly what both Angle and Kaufman were talking about. To hope people have the decency in the future to tone it down is hardly a thing to be criticized.

Why are you so against a call for civil discourse?

20. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That is unavoidable given who was shot and given that she herself said she had been threatened due to political views along with her office vandalized.

I think everyone here feels very bad for what happened to Giffords and the other victims and hope she makes a full recovery. This is the Debate and Discussion and what if any role political rhetoric might've played is an important issue. That said we could make our points with a little more decorum and reflection but perhaps that is too much to ask for.