1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Krugman How 30 years of Anti-Government Ideology Have Ruined Us

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by glynch, Aug 10, 2010.

1. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

the recession started in 12-2007, therefore tax revenue dropped.

2. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/rep-barney-frank/why-we-must-reduce-milita_b_636051.html

Why We Must Reduce Military Spending

Rep. Barney Frank and Rep. Ron Paul
    Posted: July 6, 2010 09:02 AM

As members of opposing political parties, we disagree on a number of important issues. But we must not allow honest disagreement over some issues to interfere with our ability to work together when we do agree.

By far the single most important of these is our current initiative to include substantial reductions in the projected level of American military spending as part of future deficit reduction efforts. For decades, the subject of military expenditures has been glaringly absent from public debate. Yet the Pentagon budget for 2010 is $693 billion -- more than all other discretionary spending programs combined. Even subtracting the cost of the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, military spending still amounts to over 42% of total spending.

It is irrefutably clear to us that if we do not make substantial cuts in the projected levels of Pentagon spending, we will do substantial damage to our economy and dramatically reduce our quality of life.

We are not talking about cutting the money needed to supply American troops in the field. Once we send our men and women into battle, even in cases where we may have opposed going to war, we have an obligation to make sure that our servicemembers have everything they need. And we are not talking about cutting essential funds for combating terrorism; we must do everything possible to prevent any recurrence of the mass murder of Americans that took place on September 11, 2001.

Immediately after World War II, with much of the world devastated and the Soviet Union becoming increasingly aggressive, America took on the responsibility of protecting virtually every country that asked for it. Sixty-five years later, we continue to play that role long after there is any justification for it, and currently American military spending makes up approximately 44% of all such expenditures worldwide. The nations of Western Europe now collectively have greater resources at their command than we do, yet they continue to depend overwhelmingly on American taxpayers to provide for their defense. According to a recent article in the New York Times, "Europeans have boasted about their social model, with its generous vacations and early retirements, its national health care systems and extensive welfare benefits, contrasting it with the comparative harshness of American capitalism. Europeans have benefited from low military spending, protected by NATO and the American nuclear umbrella."

When our democratic allies are menaced by larger, hostile powers, there is a strong argument to be made for supporting them. But the notion that American taxpayers get some benefit from extending our military might worldwide is deeply flawed. And the idea that as a superpower it is our duty to maintain stability by intervening in civil disorders virtually anywhere in the world often generates anger directed at us and may in the end do more harm than good.

We believe that the time has come for a much quicker withdrawal from Iraq than the President has proposed. We both voted against that war, but even for those who voted for it, there can be no justification for spending over $700 billion dollars of American taxpayers' money on direct military spending in Iraq since the war began, not including the massive, estimated long-term costs of the war. We have essentially taken on a referee role in a civil war, even mediating electoral disputes.

In order to create a systematic approach to reducing military spending, we have convened a Sustainable Defense Task Force consisting of experts on military expenditures that span the ideological spectrum. The task force has produced a detailed report with specific recommendations for cutting Pentagon spending by approximately $1 trillion over a ten year period. It calls for eliminating certain Cold War weapons and scaling back our commitments overseas. Even with these changes, the United States would still be immeasurably stronger than any nation with which we might be engaged, and the plan will in fact enhance our security rather than diminish it.

We are currently working to enlist the support of other members of Congress for our initiative. Along with our colleagues Senator Ron Wyden and Congressman Walter Jones, we have addressed a letter to the President's National Committee on Fiscal Responsibility and Reform, which he has convened to develop concrete recommendations for reducing the budget deficit. We will make it clear to leaders of both parties that substantial reductions in military spending must be included in any future deficit reduction package. We pledge to oppose any proposal that fails to do so.

In the short term, rebuilding our economy and creating jobs will remain our nation's top priority. But it is essential that we begin to address the issue of excessive military spending in order to ensure prosperity in the future. We may not agree on what to do with the estimated $1 trillion in savings, but we do agree that nothing either of us cares deeply about will be possible if we do not begin to face this issue now.

3. jo mama

most of this interview is not relevant to the thread, but its an interesting read and gives a little insight into where paul in coming from. again, he points out the need to reduce the military budget and reign in our foreign policy if we want to control spending. obama increased DOD spending - paul would have rather seen than money spent at home helping americans.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/kathleen-wells/congressman-ron-paul-talk_b_212520.html

Congressman Ron Paul Talks Foreign Policy: New Face, Same Policy
    June 8, 2009 10:18 AM

Kathleen Wells: As a member of the U. S. House of Representatives' Foreign Affairs Committee, what is your take on this issue of torture?

Congressman Ron Paul: Well, it's against the law - both our law and international law. So, we shouldn't do it. And I'm against it for personal, moral reasons. I think it's horrible. And for practical reasons, I think it's absolutely worthless. And if we are serious about getting information, if we use other techniques, we actually get more information.

Kathleen Wells: So, you do believe that we were committing torture in our interrogations in Guantanamo?

Congressman Ron Paul: I don't think the pictures I've seen were fictitious - the ones that were released a year or two ago. And, obviously, there are some more pictures of torture that they draw more attention to because they refuse to release them, which means that it must be a true indictment of what they were doing.

Kathleen Wells: What are your thoughts on President Obama's decision to release the torture memos?

Congressman Ron Paul: I think he is purely political. I think he has backed down on what he said. He was elected for change and it is the same old stuff and he is as much of a neo-con now as Bush was with this issue and other issues. The war has been expanded. He continues with not closing down Guantanamo. There is probably, for as most [sic] as we can tell, there is still secret rendition going on. We just moved some of this process overseas. We are not going to be aware of it in detail.

Kathleen Wells: You feel President Obama is a neo-con like Bush? You don't see a distinction between the two administrations?

Congressman Ron Paul: The tone is different, but the policies don't change. We are spreading the war. The war is expanding. We are not prosecuting those that committed torture. Guantanamo is not going to be closed down. So, no, I don't see [a distinction between Bush and Obama].

He [Obama] increased the DOD [Department of Defense] budget. We surely could spend some of that money at home where people are really hurting. But we increased the DOD budget, I think, by 10-percent. I can't see any significant change in foreign policy. The pretense in leaving Iraq was a mild pretense and I'm predicting that's not going to happen. There are going to be troops in Iraq throughout this administration, I'm convinced.

Kathleen Wells: Why are you convinced?

Congressman Ron Paul: Because I don't think anyone wants to face the difficulties that might ensue. The problems came from us being there and when we leave, the problems will probably accelerate a bit. And then they will blame leaving for [causing] the problems and, yet, the real problem was going in. So, I think the international pressure that we get from various allies will be so great that we won't leave. And just don't expect the policies to change.

It just goes along with what I have said for years. Foreign policy does not change with Republicans or Democrats. Overall, there is very little policy that changes. There is a lot of debate and a lot of rhetoric, but things continue as they do.

When Clinton was in, the Republicans condemned his Somalia problem. Bush said he wasn't going to be a nation builder and a policeman of the world and he gets in and he is worse. Obama says Bush is terrible and gets in and all of a sudden, guess who is cheering Obama on right now? People like [Senator] Lindsay Graham. The real hawks of the Republican Party are sorta enjoying this right now. They figure they are winning these fights.

Kathleen Wells: Can you give me your thoughts on former Vice President Dick Cheney's recent speech on interrogation techniques and national security?

Congressman Ron Paul: I [didn't] expect anything brand new. He ... just [tried] to defend what he had been doing and his involvement over the years. He'll keep saying that he saved many lives by torturing - which I don't believe for a minute.

I'm more likely to believe Matthew Alexander and his position on torture. Matthew Alexander was an official that was involved. He was in the Air Force, but he was over there and he carried out over 300 interrogations over there and was very, very successful. But [he] refused orders to ever participate in anything violent or anything that hinted of torture. That is the evidence - you can get more information, rather than less [without using torture].

I think the evidence is now coming out of people saying that the torture wasn't intended to get information. They got a lot of information from these individuals - these few, these three that are well known now. They got a lot of information from them before they were tortured. They were trying to get them to say that there was a connection between Al Qaeda and Saddam Hussein in order to justify this illegal war.

Kathleen Wells: Elaborate on why you believe there is no difference between the Obama Administration and the Bush Administration?

Congressmen Ron Paul: In style, they are different. The tone is different and I think there is a benefit to that. But his policies don't change. Ultimately, policies win out. The strong statements against Iran are still there. And, right now, going through our committee (the Congressional International Relations Committee/the Foreign Affairs Committee), stronger sanctions will be put on Iran - just looking for another fight. And we have taken the position we will not allow them to proceed on any nuclear testing, even if it is within the law and even if it is done peacefully. We are not going to permit that. So no, that position hasn't changed.

Like I said before, the war is not winding down in Iraq. The violence is increasing. And war is expanding into Afghanistan, sending more troops there. And now we are taking on Pakistan. And, actually, the whole Pakistan thing is just a reflection of a very, very flawed foreign policy of ours. Because we chase the Taliban around and some go into Pakistan and we urge the public government there to do this and that, we are just working very hard to have another war in Pakistan.

Kathleen Wells: What would you be doing differently if you were President? I know you were a Presidential primary candidate.

Congressman Ron Paul: I would bring the troops home. I'd just bring them all home. I'd bring them home from Korea. I'd bring them home from Germany. Save hundreds of billions of dollars and that would be a real boost. In order to stimulate the economy, I would immediately suspend the income tax for everybody.

The money we get into the hands of the people - that would cost less money than these hundreds of billions of dollars of bailouts that go into the pockets of the privileged who then get to take their retirement benefits and all their bonuses. I would do it a lot differently.

Foreign policy, though, would be the big thing. Just move away from that. Take off the sanctions and start trading with Cuba. Not just talk about it, but go ahead and do it.

Kathleen Wells: And Iran?

Congressman Ron Paul: I would treat them like we treated the Soviets. We talked to them. The Soviets had 30,000 nuclear weapons. Iran is not going to bomb anybody. They deserve a little bit of protection for themselves. They have nuclear weapons to the north, to the south, to the east, and to the west and all they do is get beat up. There are a bunch of bad people over there, but there are a bunch of bad people all over the world.

Khrushchev wasn't exactly the nicest guy in the world and he claimed he was going to bury us, too. Even guys like Ronald Reagan talked to him and we worked things out. Their economic system collapsed.

What we ought to do is pay more attention to the goals of Osama Bin Laden. He said, "We will bring you to your knees through your bankruptcy because we are going to drag you over here and we will drain you and we will eventually bring on an economic crisis in your country." Right now he is winning. Right now the Iraqis are closely aligned with the Iranians. The Shiites are winning. The Sunnis are on the run. We've weaponized the whole area. More guns sent over there by the American taxpayer. The Sunnis are all armed. It's just a very, very ridiculous foreign policy.

4. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

5. adoo

adoo Member

accelerated rate of job lost caused the fall in tax revenue

6. Rocketman1981

Rocketman1981 Member

I agree with Mr. Paul.

7. Major

Major Member

There are TWO major dips in revenues in the chart. One is related to this economic downtown - that has nothing to do with rates because rates haven't changed. The other is directly related to rate changes in the early 2000's. As a result of that drop - where revenues in 2005 were less than 2000, despite many years of economic expansion - resulted in major budget deficits during healthy times. That exacerbates the problem during the inevitable bad times; it's just that much worse when you have a massive recession as opposed to a minor one.

8. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

No you are wrong or at minimum fail to make your case. We live in a big modern country and expenses are high. Is $3.69 trillion too high? It might be too low. It depends on what we spend it on. I have seem estimates that it would cost a trillion or two to build enough solar collectors in Arizona/Nevada and a new grid to power the whole country on solar power. It is a shame we don't spend that.

Now a short fall of $1.54 trillion is a problem if it is done when we are not in a severe recession. If we are,it could be a very good thing.

#48 glynch, Aug 11, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2010
  9. glynch

Glad to hear that. Check out Ron Paul more. If you like conservative GOP economics he is your guy, provided you can tolerate his stands on privacy issues and foreign military adventures.

10. glynch

Well let me look. Perhaps he is not a libertarian after all. He certainly has been their candidate for president. I'll do a bit of research to see how he stands on social spending, tax cuts for the rich etc. I do realize that libertarians have their theories of essentially extreme trickle down economics which they theorize would help others beside the rich, but that is hard to take seriously in the real world.

#50 glynch, Aug 11, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2010
  11. glynch

Does this post apply to me? Are you saying I support Ron Paul?

12. glynch

Kudos to ron Paul and Barney for bringing this issue up.

13. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Agree 100%. Hopefully this let's cut the military idea gains a lot of traction.

14. jo mama

what are you talking about? "GOP economics"? he has been extremely critical of "GOP economics", especially during the bush years - he would call himself a conservative, but he has routinely criticized the GOP for their economic policies - i dont think you have any clue about the guy.

and my favorite things about him are his stands on privacy issues (civil liberties) and foreign military adventures.

are you saying that you are against his stances on civil liberties and foreign policy/militarism? if so, i dont know how you could support him in anyway as these are such core issues for him and things he harps on constantly.

ok, classic is right - you are talking out of your ass. :p

15. glynch

Look I get it. It is embarassing for many to be for the GOP and I can readily get how embarssassing it it to be identified as a conservative. This thread is about economics and for practical purposes Ron Paul supports conservative GOP style trickle down economics. This is why ideological conservative money men support Ron Paul and the GOP, too. They don't care much about drugs, sex and rock and roll as long as their class can keep their money and even transfer more from the middle class.

Let's look at Ron Paul's stands on economic isues and see how it is in line with conservative trickle down theories that have done so much to destroy the middle class in the last 30 years.

http://www.ontheissues.org/ron_paul.htm#Social_Security

here is some material from this which hurts middle and working class people and helps the corporate rich.

Repeal 16th Amendment and get rid of the income tax
    It shouldn’t be that difficult to figure out what we should be doing, because we have a lot of problems: we have fiscal and monetary policy problems, foreign policy problems, and deficit problems. Where do they come from? It’s because we don’t follow the rule of law; we don’t follow the Constitution. If we knew and understood and read Article 1, Section 8, believe me this government would be much smaller, we would have a lot less taxes, and we could repeal the 16th amendment and get rid of the income tax

Tax Reform: Reduce the tax burden and eliminate taxes that punish investment and savings, including job-killing corporate taxes. Eliminate taxes on dividends and savings. Repeal the death tax. Cut taxes for working seniors. Eliminate taxes on social security benefits. Accelerate depreciation on investment. Eliminate taxes on capital gains. Eliminate taxes on tips.

Voted NO on modifying bankruptcy rules to avoid mortgage foreclosures.
    Congressional Summary:Amends federal bankruptcy law to exclude debts secured by the debtor's principal residence that was either sold in foreclosure or surrendered to the creditor.
    Proponent's argument to vote Yes:Rep. PETER WELCH (D, VT-0): Citigroup supports this bill. Why? They're a huge lender. They understand that we have to stabilize home values in order to begin the recovery, and they need a tool to accomplish it. Mortgages that have been sliced and diced into 50 different sections make it impossible even for a mortgage company and a borrower to come together to resolve the problem that they share together.
    Sen. DICK DURBIN (D, IL): 8.1 million homes face foreclosure in America today. Last year, I offered this amendment to change the bankruptcy law, and the banking community said: Totally unnecessary. In fact, the estimates were of only 2 million homes in foreclosure last year. America is facing a crisis.
    Voted NO on letting shareholders vote on executive compensation.
    Congressional Summary:
    Corporate and Financial Institution Compensation Fairness Act: Amends the Securities Exchange Act to require that any proxy for an annual shareholders meeting provide for a separate shareholder vote to approve executive compensation for named executive officers. The shareholder vote shall not be:
    binding on the corporation
    construed as overruling a board decision, or as creating or implying any additional fiduciary duty by the board; or
    construed as restricting or limiting shareholder ability to place executive

Replace Medicaid with volunteer pro-bono medical care
    In the days before Medicare and Medicaid, the poor and elderly were admitted to hospitals at the same rate they are now, and received good care. Before those programs came into existence, every physician understood that he or she had a responsibility towards the less fortunate and free medical care was the norm. Hardly anyone is aware of this today, since it doesn’t fit into the typical, by the script story of government rescuing us from a predatory private sector.
    Source: The Revolution: A Manifesto, by Ron Paul, p. 84 Apr 1, 2008

Voted NO on increasing minimum wage to $7.25.
    Increase the federal minimum wage to:
    $5.85 an hour, beginning on the 60th day after enactment;
    $6.55 an hour, beginning 12 months after that 60th day; and
    $7.25 an hour, beginning 24 months after that 60th day.

Voted NO on extending unemployment benefits from 39 weeks to 59 weeks.
    Congressional Summary:Revises the formula for Tier-1 amounts a state credits to an applicant's emergency unemployment compensation account. Increases the figures in the formula from 50% to 80% of the total amount of regular compensation ; and from 13 to 20 times the individual's average weekly benefit amount.

Voted NO on strengthening the Social Security Lockbox.
    Amending the Social Security Lockbox bill to require that any budget surplus cannot be spent until the solvency of Social Security and Medicare is guaranteed.

16. Classic

Classic Member

Look, at face value you might say based on his voting record he might line up with Neo Cons and other bribed politicians but he simply doesn't. At this point I'm challenging you to read his book, End the Fed. He is for the equality of all through eliminating the size and power of the federal government and transferring that power to the local governments-as it should be. He's is absolutely critical of the 'GOP' stance on deficit spending, illegal wiretapping, he wants to audit the federal reserve, torturing, fear mongering us in to wars over seas, the unseen tax of depreciating our tax dollars by printing more money, and the corporate & banker stranglehold on Washington and it's politicians. Will you agree with all his ideas such as gold backed currency? Probably not but I challenge you to read the book to understand why he votes the way he does. The guy is absolutely a breath of fresh air from any other politician today.

17. jo mama

no you dont.

again, you are totally talking out of your ass.
    "ideological conservative moneymen support ron paul" - are you kidding me? :confused:

18. glynch

Again, Classic, I am talking about economics only. Ron Paul is for extreme trickle down economics. I can understand that cutting the defense budget would help the average person, but eliminating student loans, public housing, health care etc. will hurt many people, too. Would the result be a wash? Maybe, but let's make progress for the economic well being of the midddle class destroyed by Reagonomics, which Paul pretty much voted for.

19. glynch

Oh, I guess I will have to find the sites showing how right wing crank billionaires started the Cato Institute the libertarian think tank as well as supported more mainsteam conservative institutions. The alternative approach is effective in fooling a certain type of working person, who might not just go for traditional GOP country club values-- to wit, you and Classic and Weslinder etc.

20. glynch

I'll let you do some research to see other mainstream GOP and conservative groups the Koch's support .
    Koch Family Foundations
    From SourceWatch
    Jump to: navigation, search
    Koch Family Foundations[1] consist of the David H. Koch Foundation, the Charles G. Koch Charitable Foundation, and the Claude R. Lambe Charitable Foundation.

Funding for the foundations comes from the conglomerate Koch Industries, the "nation's largest privately held energy company, with annual revenues of more than $25 billion. ... Koch Industries is now the second largest family-owned business in the U.S., with annual sales of over $20 billion."

"The company is owned by two of the richest men in America," David H. Koch and Charles G. Koch (described as 'reclusive billionaires'), who have a combined personal fortune estimated at more than $3 billion and who have emerged as major Republican contributors in recent years. ... Both David and Charles Koch are ranked among the 50 richest people in the country by 'Forbes'."

The Koch brothers control the three family foundations that have "lavished tens of millions of dollars in the past decade on 'free market' advocacy institutions in and around Washington."[2] --'The Nation', "What Wouldn't Bob Dole Do for Koch Oil?"

The foundations are financed via the oil and gas fortunes of Fred G. Koch, a founding member of the John Birch Society. David is a libertarian who "provides a significant amount of funding for the Cato Institute's $4 million annual budget."

Curtis Moore's Rethinking the Think Tanks (subtitled How industry-funded 'experts' twist the environmental debate) appeared in the September/October 2002 issue of Sierra magazine. Moore states that, "The views will seem to be coming from an independent think tank -- the Cato Institute or Citizens for a Sound Economy (CSE), for example ... behind these groups stands the [Koch] brother's vast fortune."

In fact, Charles Koch is a co-founder of Cato in 1977 and David helped to launch CSE in 1986. This, says Moore, is the brothers simply following in "dad's footsteps: Fred Koch was a charter member of the ultraconservative John Birch Society in 1958."

http://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php?title=Koch_Family_Foundations