1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros Trade Deadline Rumblings Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by cardpire, Jul 29, 2010.

1. Mailman

Mailman Member

Actually, what's silly and tired is the "fans" like you you take their talking points from muckraking nimrods in the local and national press who repeat baseless inanities about Ed Wade and Drayton McLane. When the Astros were making moves with their minor-leaguers to get guys like Wolf, Hawkins, and Keppinger, the critics were all apoplectic and emptied their ammo on Ed Wade and Drayton McLane. When the players the Astros got proved Wade right, the critics were never held accountable for their stupid criticisms. Very few of them have bothered to give the organization credit for its ability to turn average prospects into ML talent.

I am an unabashed Astros diehard. I admit I am subjective about the team, but my subjectivity does not make me irrational. I can look at the known facts and make the case that the sheeple who bash Wade are, in fact, braying morans.

Ed Wade is a smart man with good baseball knowledge. His critics are, in most instances, sheep who get their information from uninformed columnists trying to get eyeballs on their webpages.

2. Mailman

Mailman Member

What it "feels like" to you is irrelevant. You are an internet armchair GM. Your opinion is meaningless.

3. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

I've made the same argument as you did in the 1st paragraph countless times when a few people have acted like our last few drafts have changed everything as far as our farm system.

Having said that, you have to keep doing it. It should be status quo. It will take several years before we have any chance of having a relatively good farm system again. To have any chance, you have to be committed to the process which they weren't for awhile. The fact they are signing so many picks is a good thing even if most other teams are doing the same. Some of the problems started because we weren't doing what most other teams are doing.

They've only made 2 trades. Given Berkman's down year and his demand that the receiving team not pick up his option, you couldn't really expect much more than a salary dump.

I am not convinced that we did as good as possible with the Roy deal. Whether we did or not, it was not going to make or break our future, which is the argument I've been trying to get at. How we scout, draft, sign and develop players as well as handle trades over the long-term is more important than one deal. If we prove to make poor trades over time, then I'll be right with you in my complaints.

4. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

As a Jays fan let me just say that this rebuilding effort has been long overdue. Kudos to Astros management for finally biting the bullet. These trades will help in the long run. Exciting time to be an Astros fan.

5. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Disappointing to go read that Berkman is likely gone to the Yankees along with cash and nothing coming back to us.

6. cardpire

cardpire Member

lol, yep, makes sense to apply all that to any and everybody who makes the slightest criticism about any move they make. not gonna rehash my stance, but as recent as last thread, i posted my view on wade.

one can have an opinion. i can assure you that all other 29 owners in the league would not have handled this trade deadline in the exact same way that drayton did. let that sink into your head.

7. BrooksBall

Having said that, I am not as sold on Wade as Mailman. I don't see enough evidence to be extremely pro or anti Wade. I am trying to remain neutral and have actually shifted just slightly to the pro Wade side given the direction this team is heading in slowly but surely over the past few years.

I won't judge Wade on what he did or didn't do in Philly. When I see how he performs as the Atros GM over time, then I'll form an opinion. It's too hard to separate fact from fiction when I didn't follow him while he was their GM, which is why I created that thread a while back. Even after reading through al those posts, I still couldn't decipher the facts from fiction.

8. cardpire

cardpire Member

lol...u realize that yours is too, right? they may as well shut this damn internet down.

u sound like a lil insane, btw. not sure you really understand how these forums work.

9. Mailman

Mailman Member

Care to give us a link for this?

You'd think that after yesterday's turn of events with Gose and Wallace that people would not rush to judge a trade when they don't know the particulars, but that would be giving the average person too much credit.

MUST. JUDGE. NOW.

10. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Why the **** are we giving away Berkman to the Yabkees and not receiving anything in return???

11. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

IRONY! Oswalt's Phillies getting shut out in his first start

12. Mailman

Mailman Member

Oh dear.

This coming from a poster with the handle of "TheRealist?"

Critical thinking is no more.

13. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

At first I wasn't sure if all other 29 owners would handle it the same way, but after your informative and enlightening assurance I now understand. Talk about talking out of your ass.

I agree with mailman, sans the opinions don't matter -- we're all arm-chair GMs, not being able to give our opinions would take out the whole point of posting on this subject.

But it is funny to me how many people complain that Drayton has been trying to sell a washed up team to his fans -- and when he finally admits it and EATS MONEY TO GET DEALS DONE, they complain about the re-building effort. It's ridiculous. Drayton is not the perfect owner, but he's still a good one.

People like to complain, complain, complain about an organization not taking x stance. But when they adopt that stance, suddenly they complain that it should have been done sooner. Give credit where credit is due -- Drayton has ponied up the cash in the Oswalt deal and perhaps the Berkman deal to try to replenish our farm. There's no such thing as being a day late in this scenario -- he's doing it now and that's all that matters. I look forward to the future and wish the past Astros the best of luck.

14. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

For all those who don't like the move, check this out...

nickcafardo Berkman deal to Yanks probably gets done, but at this hour still getting resistance from Astros and not just on 10-5 formality

15. rockets934life

On the other hand....

Joelsherman1 Have heard #Astros are paying $4 million of the $7.5 million Berkman is owed between 2010 salary and buyout

16. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

why don't you take a step down from your holier than thou soapbox. This forum is about back and forth conversation, whether it be opinion or fact. You trying to crush everyone with an opinion is not helping. People are allowed to not be ok with the trade(s), just like you're allowed to say what you want. How about being a little more constructive.

17. BrooksBall

Interesting, if that ends up being case, I'd expect us to get at least one solid prospect.

18. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

so what are we getting for berkman? hoping for the 50th best prospect in the yanks franchise!

ok so that means the yanks are paying his salary? nope!

GREAT TRADE!!!

19. cardpire

cardpire Member

you are adding sarcasm to sarcasm...i was making the point that just because uncle drayton did it that way doesn't make it universally right. he seems to not understand that.

20. rockets934life

Well between the prior tweet about having issues closing the deal and this one about the money, I'd agree. I'd take Adams(Broken foot and all) or Mccallister and call it a day.