1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[BleacherReport]Why Luis Scola is the Forgotten One

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by AggieRocketsFan, Jul 15, 2010.

1. AggieRocketsFan

Just saw this article over on Bleacher Report.

2. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I don't think we're supposed to post articles or columns from that source, due to lack of credibility.

3. Noob Cake

Noob Cake Member

Pray for 8m a year for 4 years, 4th year team option.

4. Juxtaposed Jolt

Doesn't Scola continuously get better as he ages? Granted, everyone falls off at some point, but to not sign Scola at his peak would be stupid.

With that said, hope Morey can bring Scola back into the fold.

5. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

6. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

In this instance I'd say the article is spot on. Scola is damn near as good as bosh because of what he brings to the table in terms of consistency and effort but he'll end up getting 2/3 as much because of perception. I'm damn glad we have him and hope he sticks around a long time.

You never heard him complain one time when morey was blowing les' wad over Bosh. He even said he'd welcome him if it helped the team win... And he's one of the hardest working guys on the team. That's the type of team player I want to sign longterm.

1 person likes this.
  7. Cowboii

Cowboii Member

:grin: Under-rated Beast!

8. ccjj

ccjj Contributing Member

Just wonder, if no other teams give Scola an offer, how much Houston will have to give to sign him?

9. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

That's why you're seeing the press clippings about the European teams... he has to manufacture some options.

10. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

He will get the offer sheet that was extended to him that made him a restricted free agent. It is a 1 year contract after which if we do not extend him he is an unrestricted free agent.

11. MambaJoe

MambaJoe Member

That shows you what most NBA teams value nowadays. Most teams worry more about whether their PF can get on ESPN nightly. Im glad Morey isn't like most NBA gms and overpaying players just for their flashes.

Scola is indeed overlooked. He is the hardest working player in this free agency, he brings consistency, he's a 16/9 guy and he doesn't rely on athleticism. So even if he's 30, it really don't effect him much because of his style of play.

But hopefully he gets the money he deserves because I would want the Rockets to get him for cheap but Scola really deserves a good reasonable contract. I can't believe that in the end, Darko and many other PF that isn't even half of what Scola is, gets paid more for basically doing nothing.

I cannot wait til Morey resign Scola because Im proud that Scola is a Houston Rockets. He represent this team well. Hard Nose player, Hard Working, high IQ, competitor, very underrated but incredibly talented and a great team player.

GO SCOLA!!!!!!

12. Yao4REAL

Yao4REAL Member

I don't believe Scola will slow down...even a bit. Remember how old Divac is?? And he's still keep going and playing good ball. When you're a smart basketball player, your NBA life span is much longer than the average player. Just look at John Stockton as another example. Dude is old and still make his presence known.

13. ccjj

ccjj Contributing Member

Thanks. Poor Scola if he doesn't receive an offer! He will get paid less than Lowry! Or can the Rocket offer him a new multiple year contract?

14. AstroRocket

AstroRocket Member

Imagine if most media/teams took note of Scola's post-Landry averages of about 20 ppg and 9.5 rpg and realized he's a 20/10 guy with real PT? We'd be in serious trouble.

15. albuster

albuster Member

Great post!! I agree with this 110%. Scola is the epitome of a professional athlete in any sport.

16. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

I think in this case the Rockets shouldn't look for a deal but rather just be straight with Luis and say, "Okay Luis you know we are going to keep you so why don't we just circumvent all the drama. How much. And if comes back with a reasonable offer than sign him. Anywhere from 7-9 is fine in my book. I would give him a 4 year deal with the 4th year being a team option. If he wants more than that than say, very nicely, go out and see if you can get it.

17. Iamshawnstay

Iamshawnstay Member

No days off 2.0!!!!

18. Seth

Seth Member

The bad news for the Rox or for Morey, is that he is not bidding against NBA teams only, Caja Laboral (ex TAU Ceramica) has recently lost his best big man in Splitter after he called off a 4 million euros a year contract (like a 10 million NBA contract).
    I would not doubt that they will offer Scola something like this if the Rox lowbail him, as i dont doubt that Scola will easily say "goodbye" if we lowbail him.
    Remember that he refused a 3 million euro a year contract to play here, payed his own buyout (3 million euros -rox payed 500.000 U$s) and signed here for less money.
    Basically he played one year for free.

19. forchette49

forchette49 Contributing Member

I'm expecting $8 - $9 million per season (5 year/$45 million).

20. Rocketfanatic2

Scola is a warrior, 82 games played for the past three seasons proves it. PLUS, he is a warrior that belongs on this team. We are a team who earns respect through hustle, grit, and determination, and there aren't three words that better describe Scola's type of play than those. I think Scola most definitely deserves the $7-$9 million dollar deal that I expect us to offer him. I hope to see him in Rockets' red when preseason arrives.