1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Marc Stein] Possible multiple team deal bringing Tyson Chandler to Houston

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mollamar, Jul 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eman

eman Contributing Member

So, assuming we get Chandler, what would we then have to do to get CP3?

2. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Come on man, I was busting your chops. You may be crazy, but your head doesn't produce gravity!

I think a lot of us are still upset that this team doesn't appear to have much room to drastically improve now, and no one is "celebrating" Chandler. We see it for what it is. A nice little move. This doesn't make the Rockets any more or less of a title threat than they were without the move and I think we all realize it.

But, just because you can't hit a homerun doesn't mean you don't swing the bat. A single is never as good as a homerun but it's always better than a strikeout.

3. DaneB

DaneB Member

This is Chandler's list of missed games throughout his career...

You Can Find It Here

4. justtxyank

Chandler or Yao? Who's injury peen is bigger?

5. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

I dropped LP that year because I did not like that deal. I have always disliked Artest - I dislike everything about him. Over the course of time I sort of drifted away from watching bball on the tube. I was planning to get it again this year to see how Yao's foot held up.

6. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Jonathan Feigen tweets:

[rquoter]
    Can confirm @STEIN_LINE_HQ report. 4_tm. Trade in was. Rox, Heat in. Raptors wavering. Could be posturing. Chandler to Hou. #hounews

[/rquoter]

and

[rquoter]
    Uh make that trade in works. Teams not confident will pull it off. #hounews

[/rquoter]

7. rocketsmetalspd

Exactly. This is will help not only getting Yao back on his game in small steps but addresses the need of getting back to playing tough D inside. If it does happen the D with a 7'1'' and 7'6" will greatly improve. I also hope this deal does go through.

8. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I'm ok with this.

Would you rather have a backup Center who MIGHT get injured

or a 3 string PF/SF taking up room on the bench?

Chandler does expire this year as well. Teams could look to trade for him at the deadline.

9. Southern Select

We need at least one guy who does.

10. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

This is probably what the deal would be, from the Rockets' perspective.

Yep. It would likely be Andersen ($2.5M this season, only $185k guaranteed in 2011-12) plus Johnson or Harris (both non-guaranteed). I would think that either Les or Micky Arison would cover the cash part to Toronto, which should be more than enough to cover Andersen's salary. Plus, Toronto nets about a $14M trade exception, much larger than one from a two-way sign-and-trad deal for Beasley.

I honestly have no idea why Toronto wouldn't do that deal, other than to "stick it" to Bosh.

Without Toronto, Houston has no place to stick that extra $3.1M in salary (likely Andersen plus either Johnson/Harris).

Also, props to rocketteen on the best post so far in this thread.

As far as the financial outlay from the Rockets:

(1) This would not adversely affect 2011 cap room. Actually, it would INCREASE the Rockets' cap room slightly (by about $185k).

(2) Other than any cash Les has to throw Toronto's way, this trade would likely only cost the Rockets between $3.2M (in salary) and $6.4M (including luxury tax).

For 2-3 guys outside the rotation, to get a legit backup center with size (7-1), what's not to like?

11. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

that would makeperfect sense save one bit you're missing. Another forward who is at the end of the bench does nothing for the rockets. A 7 foot C/PF who is a solid rebound DOES, potentially do something....dood :rolleyes:

12. mollamar

mollamar Contributing Member

I think we agree here. Denver would need something to make it worth trading expirings for expirings (since the best player would be coming to us), but another team could be interested in just the expirings to get out from under a contract they regret.

13. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

All joking aside, you are right but in reality, this is nothing more than exchanging bodies at the end of the bench. I think it's a fallacy to expect him to make an impact just because he's 7 foot tall. But hope springs eternal.

14. Mav-Hater

Mav-Hater Contributing Member

Without having read the whole thread, there is a 3 million dollar gap in outgoing salary for us. Would we be using the trade exception we currently possess or are we sending a 3 million dollar player to Toronto as the article suggests? as we say on the radio,"Thanks! I'll hang up and listen" :grin:

15. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I see some people are not familiar with Hillboy. His mission in life is crap on everything the Rockets do to try to get better.

1 person likes this.
  16. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

I'll bet Morey is holding out for Toronto's first rounder to take on added salary and Toronto is refusing because they want their first rounder back.

17. justtxyank

Without reading your post, I have to wonder why typed in French. Do you not speak English?

18. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

For those complaining about Chandler's injury problems, won't you at least agree that having him play for 50-60 games out of the season is more valuable than having Jeffries rot on the bench? I don't see the downside here.

19. justtxyank

If Morey gets a first rounder for an expiring Jeffries for an expiring Chandler I will call him the smartest man alive.

20. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

ah.. i see. hillboy + Rockets = Reeko + Texans. which leads to me laughing and ignoring their statments.

thanks kind sir. :grin:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.