1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Good News on Trade Front

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by xiki, Jan 2, 2010.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Yeah, I don't think Morey would take on too many years in a deal, but one or possibly two years for the right type of player.

I do think he would do that.

DD

2. RedRowdy111

RedRowdy111 Contributing Member

I'm pretty sure if u added all three of those guys salary up, it would probably be about half of Dalemberts contract....before the trade kicker.

Apples and oranges.

3. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

DD, there are bad contracts, and then there are BAD CONTRACTS.

To date, the "worst" contract that Les and Morey have been willing to take on was Brian Cook's, and that was just for $3.5M for one extra season. And, if you recall, the Rockets DESPERATELY tried to get Memphis to take on Cook's deal in the Rafer/Lowry trade, but Memphis refused. None of Butler's, Reed's or (hopefully) Cook's contracts have prevented the Rockets from being able to maneuver back under the luxury tax threshold. Taking on a small "bad" contract is not a huge deal for Les, so long as he could get back under the tax threshold.

Are you seriously going to compare Jackie Butler's $2.6M deal to Samuel Dalembert's contract, which (when adding in the trade kicker) will have a cap figure of about $14.2M next season (or more, if a trade goes down before the deadline)???

If so, then I think you, sir, are the sad one. :p

If (and that's a big "if") the Rockets were able to convince the Kings to take on Dalembert's contract for only Kenny Thomas's expiring contract and change, then it would be via a 3-team deal. No way the Rockets are the team that receives Dalembert in any trade, since that would make the Rockets responsible for his (~$2.6M) trade kicker, all of which must be paid BY THE ROCKETS at the time of the trade; and it would increase Dalembert's cap figure for any subsequent trade purposes.

As I said before, Morey may be able to get a good deal for McGrady's contract. But Samuel Dalembert will at no point be property of the Houston Rockets. Not unless they're getting Iguodala plus a boatload of additional young talent, to a degree that Philly would never agree to such a trade.

DD, go read up on trade kickers before you tell me how willing Morey would be to take on bad contracts.

1 person likes this.
  4. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

DD, as far as i know none of those players made 10 million plus. The point is everyone here and their mother is assuming the bad contracts morey has to take back are those small ones. That's NOT what the rumors imply. The bad contract would be worth a lot anywhere from 10 to 23 mill. That's a huge difference and a risk Les may not be willing to take. We're not immune to a bad economy.

5. Rocketman2000

Rocketman2000 Contributing Member

True, but I don't think any of the three players mentioned above are overall as good as Dalembert.

6. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Well unless Carroll Dawson is back in the league, I find this expectation that there's another fool out there who's willing to get royally "Rogered" just to get MeMac's $23 million expiring contract to be highly unrealistic in the extreme. Let me pose this question to you: WHY would anyone make a deal for him now when all they have to do is to simply wait for the Rockets to cut him loose at the end of the season when he'll be in Allen Iverson land. Any so-called deal for his "expiring contract" will undoubtably require the Rockets taking back a ton of garbage contracts in return and that makes them better how?

7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I agree he won't take on too much dead money, but I think he might take on some for a year or so for the right player.

Anyway, we are all just speculating anyway, I do trust Morey to do whatever is best for the team.

And is anyone else as happy as I am that DM is the one running the show at this crucial time in Rockets history?

DD

8. jaiaguilar

jaiaguilar Member

On the scale of bad contracts (1-10) 10 being the highest

i'd give

Jackie Butler 2
    Justin Reed 1
    Brian Cook 3

Dalembert's 10

I think it would be more correct to say Morey has a history of taking mildly bad contracts to get talent. Dalembert's contract is way beyond mild... Brand's contract is suicide. and as talented as AI is, getting those contracts could do more harm to the franchise's long term future then good.

9. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Count me in the camp that says the Rockets won't get good offers for McGrady and will end up buying him out. All this fluff floating around is just fluff. Don't get your hopes up. I don't want Caron Butler anyway.

10. Rocketman2000

BECAUSE, they are not trading for T-MAC the player, its huge cap space he will create with his EC mostly! :)

11. WinorLoseMate

WinorLoseMate Member

I still think the best move for Morey to make would be no move at all.

We have nothing to lose anyway seeing as Tracy only gets minimal to no playing time which really has no impact on the team. IF we trade him, there would definitely be risk involved as:

1.) A player doesn't exactly fit the mold of the Rockets as expected and loses even MORE trade value in the process.
    2.) I'm sure other teams want to unload a garbage long term contract on us in exchange for the money relief which in turn would mean little to no improvement in the team dynamics. In other words, trading trash for trash.
    3.)Hindering the development of our young core which will only improve as the games progress, which may entice the 2010 summer free agency which won't be available if a trade is made.

12. Noob Cake

Noob Cake Member

Does Curry get a 20/10, Arenas 30/10?

13. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

and that means something this year and not much next year when Yao's going to take up 30+ mins, DA about 5-7, and so on. Then dalembert becomes severely overpaid.

14. Rocketman2000

If I were the Rockets, no way would I buy T-MAC out. Why do him the favor?

15. coldsweat

coldsweat Member

Jackie Butler, Justin Reed, and Brian Cook had bad contracts, but they are still not on the scale of Eddy Curry's and Samuel Dalembert's. The first three players had contracts worth less than 3.5 million dollars, whereas these players have contracts worth more than 11 million dollars. That's a significant difference; I would argue that it's not right to assume that Morey would take on large-scale bad contracts just because he's taken on small-scale bad contracts.

16. blink

blink Contributing Member

who said a 23mil expiring contract isn't going to be anything but a great trading chip? I'd like to see that person post

17. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

The point is IMHO that a few days ago the 'word' was 'buy-out' and that McGrady would sign with LAL or Nixies. Instead the 'word' is that there are deals to be made; operative word - deals.

If Iggy + Speights (or similar) + Dalembaert? And Sammy D getting flipped is impossible? Not when the 'word' from Sactown is they want height, don't want KT or Nocioni (add Cook and Voila, $s match) and 'word' is that C's want Nocioni for expirings. Would DM the GM be open to creativity? That's lots of 'words' but never-say-never.

There is talk. And writers writing. This paves the way for the team who wins the TMac Lotto.

18. rockets_fanatic

There is no way Yao after all these injuries averages 30+ a game, especially with Dalembert who can give us a productive 15 minutes a game.

19. Rocketman2000

You're implying that Yao is going to stay healthy for an entire season. A feat he has not be able to do for how many years now? :rolleyes:

20. Nook

Nook Member

You seem to understand the CBA rules and cap rules well, but often times you fail to see the bigger picture and lack creativity. Different teams have different motivations, and do not always make smart decisions. Also, finances play a huge part in a the equation.

Les Alexander is not afraid to take on larger contracts. Also, Morey has shown a willingness to take a reasonable albatross contract if necessary (Brian Cook) if he gets what he wants. Therefore, Dalembert is certainly a possibility in the right deal. This also does not preclude the Rockets jettisoning him somewhere else.

At WORST the Rockets let T-Mac expire. However, it is looking more and more likely that a deal that brings back another good player is possible. Iggy, Dalembert and a young player for T-Mac and another player makes sense for both teams. Philly saves a great deal of money and Houston gets a shooting guard that is reasonably priced, and a center they can trade next year.

I believe the real issue is whether Morey believes it is enough of an upgrade to compete with the elite over the next 2-3 years.