1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cats - should they be let outside?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by DaDakota, Sep 1, 2009.

1. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Let's lighten the mood shall we...
    [​IMG]

2. Roxfan73

Roxfan73 Rookie

Blasting the Blaupunkt in your driveway while you weedeat > than any of the allegations brought forth in this thread.

Seriously, I would relocate immediately if I witnessed such a spectacle.

3. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

I had a cat in NYC. I let her out and she got feline leukemia and died. I've had indoor only cats ever since. My cats don't even want to go outside, which is good because I'd never let them. Our dog doesn't ever try to leave without us either.

4. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Cats on my property make me as angry as running up the score in a kids soccer game.

5. Fatty FatBastard

That's my thing. If you let your cat roam freely, I don't consider it your cat. My grandmother did this with a few cats and was always curious when they just stopped showing up one day.

If I let my dog roam around in the inner city, I'd be shocked to see it come home every day.

Rural areas are an entirely different matter, and I hope people see and realize the difference.

6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Hah, nice try....

DD

7. droxford

droxford Member

I leave my grill, with the lid closed, under a roof overhang. A cat had sprayed on the lid. When I went to cook on the grill, I rolled it out to an open area on my patio and started the burners with the lid closed. When the lid heated up, the smell of baked cat pee permeated the area. Later, after the grill cooled, I had to wash the baked cat spray off of the lid of my grill.

I don't kill cats. Never have. Never will. When I trap them, they get a nice tasty can of tuna from it (no poison).

When the SPCA takes the cat it is not necessarily killed. If there is a collar with ID, they will try to contact the owner. The owner may claim the cat after paying a fine, If the cat is not claimed, another family may adopt the cat for their own pet. If the cat is not claimed, the SPCA will have it humanely killed. Honestly, I don't care what they do with the cat, as long as it stays off my property. If you don't like what they do with the cats, take it up with them.

It is YOUR responsibility to take care of your cat, and no one else's. Do what's best for your cat. Do what's best for your neighbors.

Keep your cat off my property.

8. T-man

T-man Member

Roxfan, that is a pretty vivid imagination. The fact you got blasting a blaupunkt over my weedeating is pretty impressive considering I don't have a blaupunkt and was referring to mechanic/carpentry/stuff around the yard/house man work.
    I figured with your great detective work you would have figured out that I don't live in a door to door neighborhood. It takes more than a good loogie to hit my neighbors house from mine. I can actually drive my truck around my property. I do not have to blast it from my driveway. I doubt you could hear my music from my neighbors house.
    If you are that type, that thinks a mans only work is weedeating or mowing then I would happily want you to relocate as I am sure you would bring my property value down by neglecting your own duties as a man on your property while your place slowly fell apart/got trashy and your cat was over messing with my property. Sounds like that would be a perfect scenario if you were my neighbor. I would be thrilled if you relocated.

9. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

******* we have some whiners here. If someone's cat in your yard is your worst problem or even in your top 25 worst problems then you have a great, stress free life.

In my neighborhood (and probably most) people walk their dogs who inevitably drop a big #2 in the front lawns of neighbors as they walk. At any give time, there is a pile or two of this stuff in my front lawn. When I'm going to check the mail I make sure to watch where I walk and I'm good. I don't give it two seconds of thought or get upset or look up local city ordinances to find out how I can get revenge on people for such a insignificant issue.

When you live in the suburbs part of things you just assume will be part of that experience are things like bird droppings on your ride, leaves collecting in your gutters, insects that may sting or bite from time to time, neighbors who let their kids play in the street and.....drum roll please....a cat walking in your yard and maybe taking a potty break in your flower bed from time to time.

10. droxford

droxford Member

At no point in time did I ever say that a cat in my yard was my worst problem.

And, you're entitled to your opinion. As I'm sure you may realize, not everyone shares your opinion.

11. DallasThomas

DallasThomas Contributing Member

I have a vested interest in this topic, being a cat owner; but I'll try to keep it as unbiased as I can.

As meggo said way back on the first page, we keep our cat indoors.

I made the decision to keep it inside before I even got her - the city's just not a healthy environment for cats. There's FIV, cars, and crazed cat-trappers out there.

But, towards the argument - this "trespassing on my property" stuff is just as bogus as the "kidnapping my cat" statements.

Most everyone here apparently lives in a city (Austin & Houston were cited) where cats aren't required to be kept on a leash...or indoors for that matter. At the same time, droxford will tell you there are no laws against trapping animals that come into your yard.

What does that tell you? That there are no laws to keep cats out of your yard and no laws to keep people from taking your cat to Animal Control. Nobody's (legally) wrong.

And what does that tell you?

Exercise human decency.

It's (legally) a two-way street. How about asking your neighbors to keep their cat out of your yard; or making an attempt at finding its owner after you trapped it, but before you turn it over and start the deathclock? How about trying to keep your cat on your own property by keeping it indoors (best option, IMO) or getting it fixed and training it with food, affection, etc?

And how about learning to spell? If you don't, I'll sick my girlfriend on you...

1 person likes this.
  12. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

Riiiight...because I come home so frequently thinking "those damned outside cats are a menace!!!!!!!!!!"

Lighten up.

13. Fatty FatBastard

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/eZ7HEQrKQ5Q&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/eZ7HEQrKQ5Q&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

14. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

We keep our cats indoors, but every so often one of them gets out for a few hours and then comes home.

If I ever found out that you trapped one of my cats and sent it off to the pound, you'd have a problem much larger than a house cat on your porch.

15. Fatty FatBastard

Always ends poorly when you don't spell a word properly in this very sentence...

It is "sic."

16. Fatty FatBastard

Much like my dog getting out, I'd immediately call the pounds after a day. Is this hard to rationalize? I'd be happy as hell if I called and my dog had been there. He got out a few years ago and was never seen again. Due to his being a bulldog, I assume he was stolen.

17. Fatty FatBastard

I'm guessing the moral to cat people is this:

If you can't realize one of "your" cats is missing for over a week, expect that there might be a good chance that it is in the pound.

If you can't realize one of "your" cats is missing after more than a week, you have way too many cats.

18. Fatty FatBastard

I'll preface this by saying I owned a cat once. Little kitten showed up on my doorstep freshman year. Thing kept being there when I got home, so I decided to adopt it. Damn thing put a dozen leaks in my waterbed and decided it wanted to whine at 3:00 in the morning. Luckily, I had a bedroom with a balcony...

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/eC7HaU6l4qg&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/eC7HaU6l4qg&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

19. Honey Bear

Honey Bear Contributing Member

We get it Lizzie McGuire, you don't like cats. There's a dark side to you that your myspace can't express. Your sense of humor is second to none. But please, don't be a thread clutterer when DD already has that on lock.

20. Buck Turgidson

I know that 99% of this board lives in urban areas, but please let me give another perspective.

It is quite unpleasant to have to shoot a dog/cat (possibly someone's pet?). It is more unpleasant, however, to see your "pets" (chickens/goats/sheep/calves/squirrels/fawns/quail/rabbits/songbirds/etc) decimated by invasive, non-native predators, strictly due to the fault of their owner.

Out here in the Hill Country, especially in the more developed areas, we follow the three S's: shoot, shovel, shutup. Please spay/neuter your pets. Please, please, please, do not set your pets "free" in the country.

You sophisticated urbanites can now continue discussing the propriety of shooting one another over the trapping of a housecat.