1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Wanna be the next Miwaulkee Bucks? draft Caron Butler

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Panda, Jun 7, 2002.

1. Panda

Panda Member

What does the Rockets accomplish by drafting Caron Butler? If he turns out to be the next Glen Robinson the Rockets are doomed for mediocirty. They will be a bunch of no defense, high scoring first round exiters for years to come, and the Rockets won't fare as good as the Bucks cause they play in the West.

No one knows what kind of player Caron Butler will turn out to be. He is more unproven than Yao Ming. He may not even be as good as the Big Dog. At least Yao played in the Olympics, shooting at 67% and blocked Mourning and Carter. When is the last time Butler did that?

What is the direction the Rockets are heading to?
    Rockets With Caron Butler --------- Milwaukee Bucks
    Rockets with Yao Ming -------- LA Lakers with Magic and Jabbar

2. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

if we pick butler it will be because we have traded down picks and gotten experience in return. Caron would not be a mistake, he would be an addition to the puzzle. Perhaps an important center would come along later.

3. Yaniv

Yaniv Member

C.Butler is a great player , probably the best player in the draft , if you want to compare Butler to an Nba player compare him to P.Pierce , he is a great all around player and he is also known for his great defense . He would be a great addition to our team.

#3 Yaniv, Jun 7, 2002
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2002
  4. Darth West

Darth West Member

Butler is one of very few players that possibly could be picked at #1 ... I would guess it will be very very difficult to trade down and still be sure get him since all teams picking before you might grab him ...

5. Possum

Possum Member

Perhaps Cato will take his job seriously.
    Perhaps you will win the lottery.
    Perhaps the the world will end before the draft.
    Perhaps an important center will along later when Cat and Francis are ready to retire. :rolleyes: Yeh important centers come along all the time.:rolleyes:

6. ptw1

ptw1 Member

Picking C Butler at any position would not be a mistake. Of course, getting additional picks/players for moving down would be great.
    What the Rockets need from Butler is not the scoring,rebounding, defense that he could provide but his intensity. I watched a dozen UCONN games and Butler puts so much passion into each possession. That's what the Rockets need. Cherish every possession. Dont give away any defensive or offensive possession. This is what separates the good from the bad teams. Winning close games!

7. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

Dude, that would suck. :)

Butler does not = G. Robinson. Different games. But if we come out of the draft mainly with a stud sf and Griff doesn't become a stud pf, then the comparison to the Bucks isn't too far off.

But the Jabbar - Magic comparison is laughable. Francis and Ming are nowhere close and it is unrealistic to expect that much from either. I'd say that if we end up with Ming, we'd be more like the Kings sans Webber, which isn't bad at all given that Ming and Griff could drastically improve over the years and make any comparisons wacky.

#7 CriscoKidd, Jun 7, 2002
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2002
  8. montgo

montgo Contributing Member

How do you compare Butler to Robison? they are totally different types of players...Butler is a slashing small forward, with major quicness, hops and major Defense skills (some say the second coming of the glove) and others are also saying he has an underrrated perimeter game...some say he is Richard Jefferson with more defense and a perimeter game. Glenn Robison is playing the three, but is not a small forward in size, quickness or defense skills. I like Robison and although, they play similar positions, you cannot compare their games because they are dissimilar.

9. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

arg double post

10. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Panda, I agree with your Milwaukee Bucks analysis, it will be first round and you're out for many years. I do think that Butler is a fairly proven college player. However, there is no great indication that Caron Butler is any better than Kenny Thomas when it comes to defending the tall small forwards of the league. Some reports put him at 6'51/2 inches. He may have to end up playing two guard.

Butler would be a nice pick for the Rockets with a typical non number one pick. In a weak draft without a whole lot of big men he could be a 3- 5 pick.

Let's say Butler's upside is another Paul Pierce than to be fair Yao Ming's upside is another Jabbar. Who would you rather have?

11. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Actually, Panda, for some ancient history. This is really like the Bucks. In around 1975? the Bucks traded Abdul Jabbar for a several near all star players to the Lakers..

The Lakers of course went on to win titles and were always championship contenders. The Bucks had a nice team and went to the playoffs about 10 years in a row with some good , non-championship contending teams, that always lacked a big man.

12. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Panda, the Bucks comparison is valid. But you're forgetting two very important pieces of the puzzle: Eddie Griffin and Mo Taylor. Much of our franchise is invested in these 2 guys, and they're expected to produce much more than Tim Thomas and Scottie Williams.

13. New Jack

New Jack Member

If all the Rockets get this off-season are Butler or Odom, without anyone in the middle, then I do think we would be heading down the same path as teams such as the Bucks, Suns, and Sonics. They would be become one of these small ball, run and gun, type of teams that are fun to watch, but will have no half court game, and will never truly be serious championship contenders.

14. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

Butler, has gone the way of Mike Bibby and Ben Wallace, where he has gone from underrated (before the tourney) to overrated in a matter of months.

Everyone is j!zzing over this guy, like he's the next MJ or something.

He will be a solid pro, but nothing more than 15 ppg or so.

Also, he lacks the ideal lateral quickness to be as good of a defender as he was in college.

Last, he doesn't really fit with the Rockets. The last thing we need is another player who needs the ball, and will have ISOs ran for him. We need a guy who can function away from the ball, ie Dunleavy.

15. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

WHOOP . . there it is

Rocket River

16. Justin

Justin Member

Are joking when you said Caron Butler is more unproven then Yao Ding. Butler has proved him self in colege by carying his sorry ass team to the elite 8 and coming so close to winning that game. Yao has been playing against sticks in China their is no Shaq, Mutombo, Elton Brand in china. Wait til he gets in the NBA he will be horrible I would rather have Michael Doliac then Yao Ding since Doliac cost about a few million less. No team will ever be as good as the Lakers with Magic and Jabar for a while unless shaq and Kobe get another superstar on their team.:mad:

17. jwun

jwun Member

I don't think Butler will be anything close to a MJ but he is top 3 in this years draft. From the tourney, I personally thought only Dixon played harder than he did. Maybe we shouldn't put so much weight on a few weeks of basketball, but it is the biggest stage in College hoops and he shined at the right time and proved his worth. As for Dunleavy, I would say his team was overatted.
    Bibby and Wallace are on the way up and there is no way to predict the future, so we'll have to wait an see how good they will be. They are still rather young, so I can't compare them to the older or past players.
    I'm all for having Big Yao on the Rockets but if it doesn't workout Butler would be a very good plan B.

18. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

To much bamboo - C. Butler would make a great #1 - proven, no gov/ team baggage, tough attitude (the Rockets need a thug- with heart):) cheaper than Ming and he is here year round. We'll see what happens...;)

19. Live

Live Member

First of all, let me say:

'glynch' with the jam!'

Fantastic point about the Bucks trading Kareem, and I've been preaching 'overall talent level, depth' since I've been here, I would usually defend a '#1 for a player and multiple picks' trade.

But not this time.

As for Butler, I have to defend him.

The next MJ? Hell no, MJ was\is a once in a lifetime player.

Potentially good to great pro? Absolutely. Butler's my early favorite for ROY, depending on which team he goes to of course.

20. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

What's funny is I have been saying the same thing about MD based on about 5 minutes where he was completely ignored on the floor (Duke vs. Arizona, 2001--where one draft cites uses this to make a Larry Bird comparison). I personally think Butler will make a much better pro player than MD2--he has more ways to beat you offensively (more consistent long range, mid range, and Ft shooting, better off the dribble), is quicker, is far stronger, and is a much better man on man defender. MD has him in HT, is more comfortable in a supporting role (although no reason to think Butler couldn't adapt), and a better understanding of the game (although whether this translates into split second court decisions is a different matter)--but that is far outweighed in my book by Butler's advantages.