1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ESPN: Rockets Among Teams Interested In Nash

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by nodstonothing, May 18, 2009.

1. choujie

choujie Member

and Harris is a much better defender than Brooks.

2. choujie

choujie Member

Now you should get the point that Yao + Nash won't do any worse on PnR defense than Yao + Brooks. That makes the trade even more favorable.

3. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

For those who say Nash's production is in decline...

His numbers after the All-Star Break (when Porter got canned) were phenomenal.

18.7 ppg
    2.6 rpg
    9.6 apg
    2.6 tpg (higher A/T ratio during these 28 games than any season he's ever had)

54.8% FG
    47.3% 3PT
    92.3% FT

For those who say Nash's physical health is in decline...

Since Nash became a full time starter in the league, he's averaged 77.4 games per year. Missing a whopping (do you feel the sarcasm) 8 games this past year doesn't change the fact that he's been very durable throughout his career. Does he have a tender back? Sure, but he's become an expert in resting it and playing with it. What difference does it make if he lays down on the sideline instead of sitting on the bench when he's out of the game? None at all if he produces like he has for his entire career.

There hasn't been a significant drop in his minutes either. He's still within 1 minute per game of his back to back MVP seasons.

For those who say Nash isn't worth giving up Brooks...

Ever heard that a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush? Well Nash is the bird in the hand while Brooks and Lowry are the birds in the bush.

Yes, Brooks had a good playoff run with some spectacular games sprinkled in. But he'll never be a deft passer. He'll never be the guy who instantly makes other players around him better. He can score, sure...but so can Nash. And it's not like Brooks is a great defender.

I'll tell you one more thing. . If Brooks goes for 34 points, 2 rebounds, 2 assists, people go bonkers. If Nash goes off for 30 points and 12 assists on 50% in a playoff game, it isn't creating national buzz...because that's just what he does.

So unless this team is getting blown up...unless we're not going to war with Yao, Battier, Scola, etc. in the next few years, then Nash makes more sense.

Because one in the hand...

4. bsugfg

bsugfg Member

Wrong!
    Brooks is bad on defense
    but Nash's defense is absolutely hopeless..

You dont have to be a Suns fan to find it out

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Give them Tmac for him....nothing more....and Nash is like Stockton, players who are smart can play longer and deeper into their careers because they can compensate for loss of athletic ability.

It is my primary worry with resigning Ron.

DD

6. Untraceable

Untraceable Member

honeslty, yes they can do worse....I like nash too, but seriously his age?....I can see if he was atleast 30, but the guy is 35?....In a few yrs, well will be back to point A...looking for a PG....

7. snowmike

snowmike Member

Oh! Please NO! Nash is too old!
    Keep brooks!

8. ibm

ibm Member

great post. voice of reason.

we may or may not get nash, but it's good for me to know there are still a lot of rational yet passionate rockets fans out there. :cool:

9. choujie

choujie Member

why wrong?

As long as Yao is on the court, the PnR defense is not going to matter. Yao won't be able to recover no matter who he is playing with.

You say Nash's defense is worse, fine. But the offense difference teamwise is much more greater than defense difference between Nash and Brooks.

10. garthomps

garthomps Contributing Member

I'm with DD

11. choujie

choujie Member

In a few years, Lowry might become a starting PG.

In a few years, AB will still play like a SG, and we'll look for a PG anyway unless Lowry pans out.

There are so many AB level PGs can be found around the league, but not many Nash level PGs.

12. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Nash is like the superstar version of Brent Barry: someone who's shooting ability and IQ fools people into thinking he will age well. Nash is a great player, but father time catches up to everyone. His defense is already poor, imagine what it will look like in the next two years.

13. ibm

ibm Member

the money won't work. and even with the suns in financial trouble, giving up nash plus whoever makes the moeny work just to taking on mcgrady's contract isn't likely to make the deal work. they will need able bodies to play a game at the minimum. plus, we all know they were interested in brooks, and ab seemingly will fit in their 7-seconds-or-less offense pretty well, if they don't have coach changes.

i was semi-joking when i said i truly liked the idea of getting nash and shaq together. but now thinking about, i seriously do...

no need to worry too much about re-signing ron. morey will just let him walk if the asking price is too high. or maybe we do a s&t in the nash-shaq trade? :D

14. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Someone help me.

How good is Nash in a half court set?

15. ibm

ibm Member

better than anyone we've had since kenny smith.

and under adelman it's not strictly half court, either.

16. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Nash is great in a half court set. Watch any Suns game and see how good their offense is even when they aren't running or scoring in transition. In those cases, their scoring usually revolves around Nash making a good decision and getting someone a good shot, or taking a shot himself...which he makes like half the time.

Nash would be great playing alongside Yao....

17. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Suppose we get Nash and it results in us making a deep playoff run. Suppose Yao and Nash, known to be good friends, really enjoy playing with eachother and want to stay teammates. Couldn't this be advantageous for the Rockets? Maybe both Yao and Nash, committed to a championship, would choose to resign with the Rockets after next season at a more accommodating price.

18. choujie

choujie Member

Based on Rockets vs. Suns games, Nash picked Rockets defense apart in half court. Basiclly every time we played Suns, you'd feel Nash is too good to contain, even after Rockets stopped their fastbreaks.

19. ibm

ibm Member

now you're thinking too far, my friend. :cool: but i'd love to see that happen.

20. choujie

choujie Member

Great post. And for those who think Brooks is the future:

I don't remember 19assits/22TOs for a starting PG in an entire playoff series has ever happened before. It might be acceptable for a SG. And Brooks is surely played like one. But this ream needs a PG more than a SG.