1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Post-Game Analysis: Lakers 89, Rockets 70

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, May 17, 2009.

1. BattiersBaby

BattiersBaby Member

Thank you so much, for your nice words.
    Much appreciated! :)

BattiersBaby.

2. dadesokan

dadesokan Contributing Member

Brian Cook ignores Phil Jackson

This happened after Cook greeted Kobe, Jackson was hoping he would say Hi but he total ignored him and made Jackson look like a fool..

Did anyone else see it? Jackson did not find it funny LOL

3. ringin08

ringin08 Member

Just to add on like most fans, I'm proud of this team even though they were never in this game today. They showed courage and guts to get this far with all the adversity this year.

Great season Rockets! I enjoyed the moments this year and look foward to better ones next year!

At least the refs didn't take this game, we lost it...although they did make a couple of questionable calls.

4. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

I was disgusted by the whole love-fest after the game. I guess I'm a bad sport but after I battle with a cheap crew of whiners I feel more like punching them in the face than I do shaking their hand.

Good for Cook if he snubbed Phil Jackson.

5. topfive

topfive CF OG

I have a feeling Brian Cook will also ignore the wishes of most Rockets fans when he decides to go ahead and take that player option on his contract for next season.

6. bluefox21

bluefox21 Member

23 (1st) and 53 (2nd) overall?

7. AusFan

AusFan Contributing Member

Glad to see all the appreciation been shown on here. Those game threads are too much for me with all the negative comments after every play that doesn't go well.

Rockets achieved more this season than the vast majority of the teams in this league. Great to finally get out of the 1st round. Just making the playoffs has never meant much to me as over half the league does that.

Definitely a top 8 team, and arguably in a more elite group than that considering we took the Lakers to 7 and the strength of other teams in the 2nd round (e.g. Dallas, Atlanta).

Would have been great to get past the Lakers and see how we could have done against the Nuggets and hopefully the Cavs - 2 teams we did well against during the season. Without the injured players I think it would have been tough to keep winning.

Looking forward to seeing what Morey can do with the offseason and to next year. I just hope we don't look back on this in a few years as the pinnacle of this teams success.

8. supergokuken

supergokuken Rookie

:mad: I_Luv_U_LA kick him out of the post.. anyway the winner is the NBA INC and the NBA referees NEXT YR. DO NOT USE REFEREES IN THE SAME HOME TOWN TO HOST A GAME. IT JUST NOT FAIR. ON A SIDE NOTE THE NBA JUST WANT Lebron James VS.Kobe!!!

9. BattiersBaby

BattiersBaby Member

Hey, why did ESPN News cut Shane's thoughtful comments short?? :(
    Not nice of them.

BattiersBaby.

10. HI Mana

HI Mana Member

The Rockets are a living Rocky story.

Being in Philly, I hate to give that label to any other team. But what they did this season, in this series; being short-handed, counted out, ridiculed, seen as a speed-bump and afterthought to a great upcoming series, (and this was when they were playing the Trail Blazers), and in the end, just didn't have the punches necessary to take down the defending conference champion.

But along the way, they turned an intensely hateful, dismissive media into one that was cheering for the upset. They showed both how to win the right way, with heart and guts in the face of a stomach punch that levels every other team in the league. They earned the respect of their friendly rivals (PDX) and their bitterest foes (San Antonio, Dallas, even Utah). They managed to participate in the highest rated basketball game in ESPN's history at 9:30 on a Thursday night, meaning they earned the hearts and minds of the nation.

In the end, truly, a Rocky story is one in which the final outcome doesn't matter. Instead, you see the victory in the media reaction, in the way that the Lakers finally showed some class and gave the Rockets respect, in the way that for a moment, there was cheering as Battier left through the tunnel with his hand in the air. It is in how they managed to get a true compliment out of the Zen b*stard, how we didn't hear a peep out of Kobe, or a single dirty 'bow after the first 3 games.

The Rockets played for respect this year, and they undoubtedly earned it. They have earned the right to be called contenders; shown the heart to compete for a championship. Now they need the talent to have the swagger. I saw it this year; the first time I've seen it since Barkley crumpled to the floor over a decade ago. I can only hope that 2010 will turn out for the Rockets like Rocky II did; and when Tracy "Adrian" McGrady finally comes out of his comatose state right before the big fight, he'll put the "people's champion" over the top.

Congratulations to the 2008-2009 Rockets.

You made me love the game more than I thought possible this playoffs, and perhaps fittingly, you end your season as I end my college career tomorrow. The team has improved every year I have been in college, and it has been a pleasure and an honor to call myself a fan of this team.

11. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

What a fantastic year for the team. I am as proud of these guys and this organization as any I have ever supported. They have a lot of promise moving forward. We have seen Aaron Brooks emerge is an important part of our future. I am confident that Morey and Adelman will build on this great season.

12. Kyakko

Kyakko Contributing Member

2 posts in 7 years :D

i turned off the tv after 5 minutes left. just couldn't bear the pounding. great season... if we can get a backup for yao so he doesn't play over 30 min/game and tmac gets healthy again, it'll be a great next season. i'm not convince of artest though. his d against kobe has been sub par and he's not very smart offensively. what to do with him???

13. champagneben

champagneben Member

We have many things to be thankful for and look forward to:

-Cleveland killing LA in the finals
    -A magical offseason
    -Resigning Ron Artest
    -A healthy T-mac and Yao
    -Another gem in the draft
    -The Book of Basketball
    -summer of 2010

So Proud of the Red!

14. dejamike

dejamike Member

great season.....thank you rockets

15. Artesticles

Artesticles Member

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Tim5nU3DwIE&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Tim5nU3DwIE&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

16. shortfuse3

shortfuse3 Member

GREAT SEASON

best one since the championship years

17. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Wow. That is an amazing post. I'm speechless.

18. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

Coach Adelman is a great coach when it comes to making substitutions in Garbage time. :p

19. RocketRaccoon

RocketRaccoon Contributing Member

If nobody is pissed about this game then you're telling me that LA controlled the series and we took what they gave us. (or maybe you have another, better reason than anything I can think of)

If you're pissed, like me, you know we can beat these fools. And to have the Rockets take the wind out of our sail in the first 5 minutes of the game just sucks. At that moment I turned to my wife and said I don't want to feel like this for the next 43 minutes.

Dammit. My heart hurts so bad right now. I KNOW we can beat that team.

Yes, yes, yes. I love them...always have, but daaaaaaang....it hurts to loose like this, to have to sit through a game so badly played when you KNOW we are better than this. WE KNOW we are better than this.

There is a scene in The Matrix where the white hair girl is about to die because some idiot is about to pull her plug back on the ship. She looks up and says, "Not like this. Not like this." She then slumps to her death.

That was my prayer throughout this game..."not like this, not like this".

Sorry for the negativity. I thought hard about not sharing my feelings. Who knows, maybe I shouldn't have. cest la vie.

(I still wouldn't trade anybody though, I DO love our future)

signing off...till the morrow
    looking for a dive to drown the sorrow
    Although I bled...the color red
    My song is true, and so very
    very
    blue

20. bobliu683

bobliu683 Member

Completely agree. Great post!