1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

what happens when too many players foul out?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by SunsRocketsfan, Dec 10, 2008.

1. SunsRocketsfan

has anyone wondered what happens if players foul out and only 4 players remain? what happens to that team? do they play 4 on 5? or do they forfeit? i was going to try this in NBA2k9 and see what happens...
    its possible for the suns to do that today since they only have 8 players dressed...

2. orbb

orbb Contributing Member

I think the coach suits up. And gets fired before the next game.

3. 523744

523744 Member

they have to forfeit the game

4. SunsRocketsfan

really? is that written in the rule book somewhere? it'd be interesting if one team was up by like 20 and the last player fouled out.. and then they would have to forfeit? it'd be cool if they allowed them to play 4 on 5 like in hockey

5. SunsRocketsfan

actually i just found this on a site.. so it looks like they let you play. .except every foul commited by that player becomes a technical foul at that point..

6. bullardfan

bullardfan なんでやねん

yeah, i dont understand why it's illegal to play 4 on 5 or 3 on 5 or 2 or 1 on 5.
    the team should have an option to forfeit.

for example, what if everyone on the lakers were injured or fouled out and it was just kobe on 5? i think he would still be able to put up points and it would be entertaining.

it's obvious why 6 or more on 5 is illegal but having too few players??? that's just dumb.

7. SunsRocketsfan

agreed..
    well according to the rule i listed above it looks like they allow disqualified players that fouled out to come back but it would be assesed a technical foul... but i think with how the rule is stated teams can find a loop hole around that rule.. lets say Yao fouls out in the 1st quarter.. can't the rockets just foul out 4 other players so they have no one to dress and then they can get yao back at the cost of a technical? not sure if thats how it works. heh anyways i am going to try it in NBA 2k9 or NBA live and see what the programmers did..

8. SunsRocketsfan

agreed..
    well according to the rule i listed above it looks like they allow disqualified players that fouled out to come back but it would be assesed a technical foul... but i think with how the rule is stated teams can find a loop hole around that rule.. lets say Yao fouls out in the 1st quarter.. can't the rockets just foul out 4 other players so they have no one to dress and then they can get yao back at the cost of a technical? not sure if thats how it works. heh anyways i am going to try it in NBA 2k9 or NBA live and see what the programmers did..

9. wreck

wreck Contributing Member

the rule is that the they get to keep 5 players on the court the opposing team just gets like 4 free throws. i read it in sports illustrated when i was a kid.

10. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

quit making up ****.

11. BruceHR

BruceHR Member

First selection may quit the game.

Second selection let players on the floor again, but if he fouls again, he is likely get fined.

But the second selection is used when both teams have no enough players. In my member seems one game happened this case.. They took the 2nd selection..

12. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

From the official rulebook:

http://www.nba.com/media/rule_book_2005-06.pdf

a. Each team shall consist of five players.
    No team may be reduced to less than
    five players. If a player in the game
    receives his sixth personal foul and all
    substitutes have already been
    disqualified, said player shall remain in
    the game and shall be charged with a
    personal and team foul. A technical foul
    also shall be assessed against his team.
    All subsequent personal fouls, including
    offensive fouls, shall be treated similarly.
    All players who have six or more
    personal fouls and remain in the game
    shall be treated similarly.

b. In the event that there are only five
    eligible players remaining and one of
    these players is injured and must leave
    the game or is ejected, he must be
    replaced by the last player who was
    disqualified by reason of receiving six
    personal fouls. Each subsequent
    requirement to replace an injured or
    ejected player will be treated in this
    inverse order.Any such re-entry into a
    game by a disqualified player shall be
    penalized by a technical foul.

13. Booster2point0

So who's gonna take the ball out at that point?

14. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Thanks SamFisher.

15. orbb

orbb Contributing Member

Technically, he could throw the ball in the air, step on the court and catch it. I think the opposing team wouldnt try to steal the ball while its in the air, in the interest of fair play... unless of course it teh low down Celtics. I can see Garnett jawing already...

16. Jimes

Jimes Member

So if your best player fouls out, just get all the substitutes on your team "injured/ejected/violently ill", give the other team a technical foul shot and hope the player doesn't commit anymore fouls. :D

17. mazyar

mazyar Member

How about this for an exhibition game:

Chris Paul, Kobe Bryant, Lebron James, and Dwight Howard

vs.

A linup of 5 All-Stars.

Now I would love to watch that.

18. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Interesting rule by the NBA...although I can't see it ever coming into play.

I played in a YMCA league one year and we had this issue crop up. We only had 4 healthy players show up for our last game. Our best player did show up to make 5, but he had broked his leg the week before and had a big cast and was on crutches. However, in this league, you only had to START the game with 5 players in order to avoid a forfeit. So the dude on crutches hobbled out on the court for tip off, then hobbled back off as soon as the game started. We played the entire game 4 on 5...and beat the **** out of the other guys (who were also much larger than us). Probably the highlight of my sports life, which is somewhat pathetic...but it was really cool at the time.

19. RocketRaccoon

RocketRaccoon Contributing Member

Thanks Sam...you do have your moments ;)

20. RiceDaddy7

RiceDaddy7 Member

I've got a hypothetical scenario...

Let's say a team comes to play with only 8 healthy players suited up ( assuming 2 are injured and the other 2 are gone by a trade that day. This happened to the Knicks recently ). And let's say during that game, 2 of them gets injured so now there's 6 players left.

Suddenly, a fight breaks out and two of those players gets ejected. It's a real serious fight and there's no possible way the refs would allow those players back in.

Then what?!