1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

[Texans] Schaub or Rosenfels

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by ima_drummer2k, Sep 22, 2008.

?

Schaub or Rosenfels

1. Start Schaub, let him pass his way out of his funk

7.0%
  2. Start Rosenfels, it's time for a change

53.8%
  3. Start Schaub, but yank him if he keeps stinking up the joint

39.2%
  1. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Well, you know someone had to do it. :)

I think if Schaub gets off to another bad start against J-ville, it's time to give Sage a chance.

To hell with who makes what money, who we gave up draft picks for, etc. Winning should trump all. Jeff Fisher is smart enough to know that. He has said that as long as the t*** keep winning, Collins is the starter.

2. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I'm not sold on a permanent move, but Schaub needs to sit at least this week and watch Rosenfels work from the pocket.

3. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Should have made this a poll.

I'm a Titans fan, but I'll say that Sage needs to get a chance to be the starter in Houston. Schaub is injury prone and hasn't really shown greatness. Albert Haynesworth said he wants Schaub to play against the Titans, because the defense struggles against Sage. Schaub has really shown to be dependent on Andre Johnson, where Sage seems to spread it around better.

4. XBLRocketman111

XBLRocketman111 Contributing Member

I say Start schaub and if there is no production by the end of the first....sage to the rescue

5. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

Schaub is looking like David Carr quicker than David Carr ended up looking like David Carr.

Start the Sage.

6. msn

msn Member

Donny, I'm entirely disappointed you didn't vote for Kevin Kolb! :D

7. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Aye. The Sages have it.

Schaub is just NOT a move-and-pass QB, and he knows it. He'd rather sit and throw a bomb and pray for our Andres to catch them. :rolleyes:

Sage will chip away at gains, then beat you with an accurate pass past the free safeties. Sage passing the ball than will look smoother than a baby's butt. And I've seen plenty of babies' butts, as pedophile as that may sound.

START THE SAGE NOW!!!! I've been saying it since BEFORE last season. :mad:

8. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

D*mn Donny . . . i'm speechless
    I mean . .. it is accurate but never heard it put that way

SAGE SAGE SAGE

The issue with David Carr and Schuab is more than the money
    it is what you miss by dealing with them

With Carr you could have had Julius Peppers
    hell traded the pick and shored up the line
    water under the bridge

Schuab
    I still look and say man . . .40 million and 2 picks
    Those Picks could have been a GOOD LT and KEVIN KOLB!!!!!!
    and 40 Million in Free Agency
    The Texans NEEDED SCHAUB TO WORK OUT
    and they doing any and everything to get it done

Rocket River

9. swilkins

swilkins Contributing Member

I agree.

10. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

I give Schaub up and through the Miami game before yanking him. I definitely don't yank him during a game unless we are down by 20+ points in the second half.

He's doing awful right now, but he's going to need some time to reestablish himself after missing the second half of last year. Also, he's had to face two of the toughest defenses in the league, on the road, to start things off.

QBs have to go out with full confidence and support. You can't yank them in and out of a starting role like it was a video game. When they're benched, you can almost forget about them succeeding for you down the line.

I'm wondering myself if Sage isn't better prepared to lead the team right now. He's more game-ready, though he brings slightly less to the table with his arm.

Evan

11. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

let me ask you a question: if sage had started yesterday's game and had the same results - would you be screaming for schaub?

schaub will never, ever justify his cost. ever. there are maybe 2, possibly 3 QBs in the entire league worth what the texans paid for schaub. so i'm not coming at this as a big scahub supporter nor am i defending his performance yesterday/this year.

but that's an entirely different game if a) johnson catches the touchdown that schaub bounced off his chest; and/or b) kubiak challenges the non-catch; and/or c) kubiak calls a better game inside the tennessee 5-yard line (3 pass plays from the 4??!?!!!???)

i've thought all along they were still 6+ players away (plus a getting dunta back healthy), so i'm not jumping off anyone's bandwagon yet; there was a good chance they were going to start 1-4 regardless, and that was before a hurricane roared through town. (keep in mind: new orleans went from 8-8 to 3-13 the year of katrina - that cannot be dismissed.)

12. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I think this is just one of those statements people throw out. Frankly, if Schaub can't be benched and come out of it at least as good (or as bad, hard to be worse, right?) as he currently is, then that answers your questions about him right there.

He hasn't been yanked in and out of a starting role. He was handed a starting role, and a very nice contract, played mediocre, got hurt, his backup played great (especially relative to how he played), but then he was handed the starting role again.

it's frankly very hard to believe that Schaub will ever amount to anything more than an average quarterback - which is probably what sage is. so i really don't care about his psyche. it would definitely be nice to find a long-term solution at the position, but a game-manager type that gives you a chance to win every week would be fine for an organization that truly needs at least that.

13. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

I think you give Schaub another shot and if he happens to suck it up again, put in Sage.

14. Pistol Pete

Pistol Pete Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Schaub's mechanics are screwed up. His throws look ugly as hell. I'm wondering if he has an injury of some sort.

15. Landlord Landry

I think you guys are going to be disappointed when Sage gets hurried, rushed and knocked down just as much as Schaub has, and then starts throwing his usual amount of INTs as well. Or maybe it will be the recievers fault when they drop the ball that SAGE threw em. Sage will even wave his magical throwing arm and gracefully lift Wall St. back to glory.

16. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

It's not about Sage as much as it is about Matt. I don't think Schaub has "it" right now, whatever that is. He just doesn't look accurate to me, and that would be true even if Andre had caught that ball. I wasn't impressed by his decision making in the red zone, either. Just not a good day. The Matt Schaub that I saw yesterday and in week 1 just isn't going to win us anything. I don't know that Sage would, either, but I'd be willing to give him a shot. They were about equal last season in passer rating, so he's not likely to do any worse. And he was 4-1 in his starts, wasn't he?

17. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

Well, according to the presser at 3:30pm, Kubiak is keeping Schaub as starting QB. Here's more from the Texans BB:

http://68.252.159.115/showthread.php?t=8512

- After evaluating film, nothing has changed at quarterback. The team is sticking with Matt Schaub. Kubiak said that the blame doesn't go to one player, it goes to the entire team. Schaub made mistakes, but he also made plays that put the team in position to score a lot of points (ie, potential touchdowns that were dropped).

- Kubiak lamented that the Texans, by his estimation, "left 28 points out there" in the first half. He was pleased they got to the red zone six times, but very disappointed in the team's inability to finish plays. Missed opportunities were the result of mistakes made not just by Schaub but by the entire team - busted plays, missed assignments, etc.

- Steve Slaton has cemented his role as the Texans' starting running back. Slaton earned the starting role with his big-play capability, but the main thing that Kubiak harped on was Slaton's effort - on the 50-yard run when he made the play by himself by breaking a tackle at the line of scrimmage and then by not shying away from contact at the end of the run, and even at the end of the game when he didn't quit in his pursuit of Cortland Finnegan on the INT return.

- Kubiak expects Ahman Green to at practice this week, but Green's status is uncertain. Safety Brandon Harrison has a shoulder injury that Kubiak said is his biggest injury concern at the moment.

- Kubiak also said that the team's struggles with snapping the ball on field goals all day played into his decision to go for it on fourth-and-four in the third quarter instead of settling for three points. He reiterated that he wants to be aggressive and would probably make the same decision if the situation occured again.

18. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

It was a bad day after 2 weeks off. Definitely.

But I think Schaub deserves a chance against a few other teams. He didn't have a full year last year.. let's give him some time!

19. droxford

droxford Member

After yesterday, I've fallen off of the Schaub and Kubiak bandwagons.

I'm sick of waiting.

The NFL is not for the patient.
    It's not for those who "need some time to ramp up".
    That's the equivalent of saying, "it's okay to lose games until they improve."

No.

It's not okay to lose games in the NFL.
    This is the top league.
    There is no higher league.
    If you're in this league, you're here to win. NOW.

And if you can't win now, step down and let someone else drive.

So.. yeah. Bench Schaub. If we could bench Kubiak, I'd say to bench him, too. Bench anybody and everybody that doesn't deliver.

Welcome to the National Football League.

20. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

The Texans should do like the Browns just did with Derek Anderson and Brady Quinn: Put the starter on notice that the backup will take over next time he stinks. I really don't think benching Schaub after these first two games is the right thing to do. Give him ONE more chance next week and then yank him.