1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

morey on the cutting edge

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by denniscd, Jul 22, 2008.

Tags:
  1. ming bada bing

:( oh how i love regression analysis, and sas, and spss. it so much fun!

2. agentkirb87

agentkirb87 Member

Ok, but with the 24th pick in the draft there isn't much you can do. He hasn't had a draft pick completely scrub out on him yet. He's only been here 1 year but he's drafted 2 guys already and both aren't busts.

Are these guys second round picks or something? You can't expect the guy to pull a rotation player from the 2nd round every time.

3. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Wasn't Brooks an Adelman pick? I thought the chron did some pieces on how Adelman was really impressed with his speed at Oregon and watched him quite a bit because he was in the area. We might have ended up with Kaponen or something had Rick not liked him so much.

I like Brooks, anyway.

4. hooroo

hooroo Member

Fixed the podcast URL.

5. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

Hey LandryLandord,

Don't mind these English 101 losers, they have a tendency to pick on people because it makes them feel somewhat superior knowing that their argument is baseless so why not give a 10 paragraph critical analysis on "how to post proper English on the BBS".

6. Landlord Landry

was it? thats cool either way. i'm not throwing morey under the bus for any decision he has made thus far, minus SF3. i never saw the high reward part of that deal, that alot of others here did. and it's not like i'm grilling morey over it, personally i wouldn't have made the move, but hey......i'm here posting on the net and morey is at toyota center signing ink so........

i really wanted CDR in this draft, i am more than willing to eat crow if that guy falls on his face. i do understand why morey passed on him, and i thought he did a great job of explaining why on 1560 day after the draft. but it was just another deal i would/wouldn't have made. we are allowed to disagree with our GM aren't we? lol. thats all i'm saying, some people here want to throw out the 'genius' label, personally i don't. not yet.

7. Landlord Landry

thanks buddy. i assure you i don't lose sleep over it. as i stated earlier, if i cared enough about my grammar and such, i'd put in the time. i'm more interested in the content, which i find most interesting. some really good posts have been made in this thread.

8. agentkirb87

agentkirb87 Member

I wouldn't call him genious yet. But he's doing a really good job. I think he bought himself some credibility in nabbing Landry and Scola last year. We wouldn't have made the playoffs if it wasn't for those guys.

9. Tornadoofsoul6

A Battier for Outlaw + Filler deal would be quite interesting. IMO, Outlaw is an all-around version of Thaddeus Young, with the high upside. He is worse defensively, but has the potential to be decent defender. Athletic-freak, supposedly has a vertical of 51 inches and can touch the top of the backboard, decent long range shooter, pretty clutch, and has a contract that expires in 2010. Also, assuming that the numbers from a moneyball calculation is in the ballpark of the ones that Morey uses, Outlaw is a bigger steal with his contract than Battier. The downside is that Portland with Battier would be a championship contender with a lineup of Bayless-Roy-Battier-Aldridge-Oden, pretty scary.

10. dkoune

dkoune Rookie

11. michecon

michecon Contributing Member

tick, tick

can we see some results now? Now that Rockets marketing is onto the geniusness of GM.

12. agentkirb87

agentkirb87 Member

Well, a good GM alone isn't going to win you a title. There is only so much he can do. I think with a good GM tho you will not have 5-10 year periods where you aren't making the playoffs.

13. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

He certainly miscalculated on Rudy Gay! Bigtime.

As I said before, Scola was luck borne by Ferry, and the others have yet to prove themselves. Landry was passed over 30 times because of his knees, and he still remains a knee-bump away from being out of the NBA.

Showing a little risk and derring-do on the Greene trade gives me some hope. However, we will hate it if Batum turns out to be a superstar.

14. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Yeah, he's so great and we talk about discounts, yet Mo Evans signed for 2m per. Mo Evans could have been signed for the T.E. and instantly improves your wing position with his defense, toughness, and ability to finish at the cup.

15. hooroo

hooroo Member

Transcript from 36mins in of the above podcast:

16. agentkirb87

agentkirb87 Member

Yea, we chose wrong there. It happens. To give the Rockets a little credit, the rest of the NBA community didn't bash the Rockets for the trade so it wasn't a complete bust. At the time Gay was a guy with potential, and Battier was a guy who could contribute now.

The Scola trade was a little luck, but you have to admit... we basically got a solid starting PF for nothing.

On Landry... again, he's no Kobe. But he was the 31st pick in the draft. What do you want from the 31st pick in the draft?

And I think one trade people underestimate is the trade that eventually rid us of Juwan Howards contract (Howard for James then James for Jackson). The only overpaid guy on our team is McGrady, and considering we don't plan on moving him, this isn't really a bad thing anyway. Having overpaid players on your roster for 2+ years really kills your ability to do anything because no one wants an overpaid guy with a long contract. The Mavs are about to find that out.

17. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Just for the sake of being fair, what was so great about getting rid of howard for james? Howard has 1 yr at 7.3m. Then its traded for james and his 2 yrs at 6m. Then that is traded for jackson and his 1 yr @ 6m. So I'm asking, why didn't they just keep howard and his 7.3m that comes off this year?

18. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I see your point. Gay should have been better in his 1st year but there is no denying that moving up from 10.8 points a game in his rookie year to 20.1 points,6.2 rebounds,and 2 assists is a jump in the right direction despite the fact that he is on a team where it is easier to put nice numbers. I don't think he will be an all star, not many players do. However, he still has room to grow and can get better. The Rockets should have gotten more out of the 8th pick. The Grizzlies wanted him quite badly,and CD/DM didn't take advantage of the situation IMO.

19. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

You can't use the TE to sign players. It's a trade exception not a FA exception.

20. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm