1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bad news for Mike Miller fans (plus Lopez, Rush)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ClutchCityReturns, Jun 19, 2008.

1. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

*I felt this was relevant enough to go in the GARM, but if not I apologize.

http://www.draftexpress.com/blog/Jonathan-Givony/

Personally, I bet Mayo is gone at #3 or #4, but there's a good chance he could last until #5 and essentially end any of the hopes on this board of picking up Mike Miller anytime soon.

I'm quite surprised by this, but the breakdown stated above does make quite a bit of sense. Stranger things have happened on draft night, we all know that.

Unfortunately, I think this is spot on. Brandon Rush has quickly become my favorite target outside the lottery, and now it looks like he's going to be way out of our range for sure. Damn.

2. ToyCen428

ToyCen428 Member

Besides, according to Morey, our biggest concern is bringing this team back into next season to see how we have gel'ed. Could be up until February before any changes are made. So Im not surprised by this.

3. itony

itony Member

it sounds good bc of the talent for the miami memphis swap but when you think about it how would the lineup be? d wade is a 2 as is miller. and if oj the combo guard cant direct a team that would make it almost like 3 shooting guards

4. DcProWLer277

DcProWLer277 Rookie

Wade can play either guard position and has pretty good playmaking skills, Mayo will be a 2 guard, and Miller is 6'8" so he can play either wing position or be the 6th man off the bench. Sounds good to me on paper for Miami.

5. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

That's a tough call: Miller/Mayo vs. Beasley.

I guess from Miami's perspective they get two quality players for one but Beasley has definitely reached "can't miss" status, in my mind. Mayo has been impressive but if Miami rolls with a Mayo/Wade backcourt that's two shaky ball handlers/playmakers in one backcourt. Kind of a gamble, IMO.

PG Mayo, SG Wade, SF Miller, PF Marion, C ______. Bench: Cook, Haslem, whoever. That's not a bad team, I suppose.

As for Lopez and Rush, i'm disappointed but not surprised to hear Rush is garnering so much interest. There aren't many players with his type of versatility, athleticism and NBA readiness all in one package.

Lopez? You can have him.

6. hooroo

hooroo Member

both lopez's being taken before the rockets pick is a good thing.

7. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Maybe Morey can make a deal for Portland's 13th pick and snag Rush.

8. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

They'd need Miller for the same reason we would: bench depth. He'd be a perfect sixth man next to Wade. After losing Posey and Kapono they need shooters more than anything. I don't think they plan on bringing Ricky Davis back next year.

EDIT: I don't get all the interest in Rush. He's John Salmons without the ball skills.

#8 MrButtocks, Jun 19, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2008
  9. Egghead

Egghead Member

no way there is better talent than Brandon Rush at #13.

10. rterry

rterry Contributing Member

We never had a chance at Mike Miller anyway. There are way too many teams interested that have more to offer.

11. hooroo

hooroo Member

Herer's more on draft/trade rumors

12. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

13. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

In 41 games as a starter, Salmons put up 17.5 points, 5.4 rebounds, 3.5 assists, 1.6 steals on 49.8% FG, 38.5% 3pt, and 81.1% FT's.

If Rush is merely Salmons without the ball skills, he'll still be a steal outside the lottery.

14. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

All this fun and intrigue and we sit quietly on the sidelines :(

But our GM is the silent assassin. It wouldn't surprise me if comes up with one of those Portland second rounders that I would love to risk on JR Giddens.

15. hooroo

hooroo Member

16. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

17. Jerry36

Jerry36 Member

I'm not that high on Miller. He's another streaking shooter that chokes in the playoff. The rockets need to sign players that are clutch and have been out of the first round.

18. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

19. ReD_1

ReD_1 Rookie

I think that if Rockets are going after SG or PG again there is no need for keeping guys like Luther Head, Steve Novak or Aaron Brooks.