1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Simple Poll Rafer or Scola or Both or Neither

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by pgabriel, Nov 2, 2007.

?

Who should start

1. Start scola over hayes

84 vote(s)
    27.7%
  2. start james over alston

35 vote(s)
    11.6%
  3. start neither

129 vote(s)
    42.6%
  4. start both

55 vote(s)
    18.2%
  1. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

That's a misleading stat that shows how weak the Rockets bench was last year. I don't like the Lenovo stat over some other stats becuase it's not adjusted for anything.

That said, I am coming around to the view of letting James come in as a backup to save the Rockets arses when the get in trouble - however I disagree with Adelman's strategy of putting Rafer back in late in games. Asking for trouble if you ask me.

Also I am surprised at how well teh Scola-Hayes combo worked last night against teams that play two PF's and no real center and would like to see it more. I'm more confused than ever now, btw, as to why we resigned Mutumbo other than that he is a good person and a good locker room sage to have around.

#21 SamFisher, Nov 2, 2007
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2007
  2. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

I leave it the way it is right now. You don't need the scoring threats of James and Scola to start the game if Tracy and Yao are doing their jobs and carrying the load. I think it's better to have them as threats off the bench.

Also, notice that through the first 2 games Rafer has played 51 minutes and James has played 50 minutes.

People like to b**** about Rafer's offense (with good right). But through the first 2 games, he only shooting HALF as much as he did last year. And most of those have been good shots that just haven't fallen.

If you start James, you're likely to lose something. Either he will take shots away from TMAC and Yao or his offensive threat is going to be limited because he's deferring to our two stars.

I think it's better for him to come off the bench when either Yao or TMAC (or both) are resting. That way, he has the opportunity to one of the primary options on the court, just the way he likes it.

3. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

James makes a good 6th man. If I wanted to pull Alston, I'd make Francis the starter and keep James in his current role.

As for Scola and Hayes, I agree with Feigen on this one. You don't want Mutombo and Hayes on the court at the same time or you'd having no scoring from the bigs. So, bring Scola in when Yao has to sit.

4. SamFisher

He's also playing a little more than half as much.

The argument that Rafer is not a liability when his shot isn't falling because of the new offense doesn't look to hold much weight - it looks like he is still going to be shooting 4-5 threes a night, which need to be made (a la the ones he hit las night at the right time)

5. Junetastic

Junetastic Member

I love it the way it is right now. The second unit is awesome and play extremely well together.

6. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

The Lenovo stat (which is just total plus-minus) doesn't care how good or bad the bench is. In fact, since it is totalized, it's even more certain that they were the best starting five in the NBA, since Yao missed so many games. I think you are confusing plus-minus with plus-minus differential, which is greatly affected by bench performance.

7. rofflesaurus

rofflesaurus Member

this is one terrible poll. where is the option to keep it as it is?

8. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

Start Neither.

9. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

the third one, you're a terrible reader

edit: I guess the title should be james or scola, but you can still given the other poll options you can tell what that "start neither" is

#29 pgabriel, Nov 2, 2007
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2007
  10. SamFisher

Not so much Hayes, but with respect to Rafer in particulart the lack of a backup makes a huge amount of difference since he is going to show up in almost every Rockets Lenovo lineup given the huge amount of time he spent on the court.

Also the fact that the Rockets bench overall was terrible means hat their Lenovo stats are going to be lower, and not as high as the starting 5 lineup - that much is certain. Just like this year's lenovo stat (admittedly early) has James and Scola as the top two palyers in the NBA.

11. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

Whoever has the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" mindset needs to observe that the Rockets started 10 points down to both the Lakers and the Jazz. Start that way against the Spurs, Mavs or Suns and there's a high probability the game is over before the rotation takes off their warm up wear.

Scola needs to start over Hayes and James needs to play way more minutes than Alston regardless of who starts.

The simultaneous Hayes-Mutombo on the court situation is overblown. There are plenty of alternatives including running Battier at PF with McGrady and Wells.

12. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

totally agree.

13. Barkley

Barkley Member

I'd say we should start neither. Why?

You see what our bench has done in that two games. James and Scola and Bonzi have been duperb, they have carrierd us 2nd straight game. So just let them do it if they're doin' it well.

Let Rafer pass the ball to McGrady and Yao, that's all

14. WNBA

WNBA Member

ane then lose by 10 points in 6 minutes? :confused:

There are flaws in the starting unit. why not fix it before the game starts?

15. Barkley

Barkley Member

So what you put Mike James in the startin' lineup and they we will get eaten when Rafer checks in the game.

Mike James can make plays, he can carry the team. He should carry us when the starts are on the bench

16. Untraceable

Untraceable Member

As pure as my hate is for Rafer, I still think James should come off the bench only until Steve Francis starts playing, because if Rafer came off the bench...ooooo....ohhh naw......he wouldn't contribute shyt but turnovers....

I can't believe how many people were on the Rafer bandwagon this pre-season...its makes my stomach hurt just thinking about it....but when Mike James comes into the game, he should be able to shoot it from half court if he wants to just as long as Tmac/Yao is not in the game

17. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

too early to tell, this starting 5 got out to fast starts last year and are still adjusting to a new offense.

i don't really care who starts as it's obvious both james and scola are going to get significant minutes and most likely more then the 2 people ahead of them. if the starters get back in the groove it makes us that much more dangerous to be able to go to our bench and actually get better.

18. DCWCMT07

DCWCMT07 Member

I chose start neither for several reasons:

1. Scola, who may start eventually as the season progresses, is not ready yet. I think it is the perfect system right now for him to come off the bench in that second group and match up against less-talented post players so that he can get himself more accustomed to the pace of the game. He's still learning the ropes and it only helps that he is already the perfect fit for this offense and makes that second group really mesh and that added energy and passion doesn't hurt either.

2. Yes, Rafer hasn't looked his finest these past two games but let's not be too quick to judge. Anyone who watches the games can realize that when he is in, we are better. Let's not forget either that last year we had the league's most efficient starting lineup and Rafer was a major contributor to that. He knows where all the players want the ball and he gets it to them with ease. James is way more of a shoot first PG that I don't see as working well at the beginning of games when we are trying to establish the offense. Yes I realize that both two games have shown slow starts but you can't blame that entirely on Rafer. We're still learning the offense and fluidity will come with time. I simply love James coming off the bench because of that instant spark he provides and it really helped get us back in both of the games. Now imagine when our starting lineup starts to gel and comes out on top after the first quarter. Instead of getting us back into the game, James will be coming in for blood, to put a gap between us and the other team. A massive gap.

Scola with time could go either way depending on Adelman's call. James, in my opinion, should continue to come off the bench.

19. SamFisher

LOL, what? You did see when he and Yao started the third period last night and, between the two of them, fumbled away a 10 point lead down to a two point lead right? You do realize that when Rafer went out and James started hitting threes we got back into the Laker game right? That's a blanket statement that doesn't hold much water. Yes in certain situations he might be better, but "whenvver rafer is in we are better, based on last year!' is an EXTREMELY distorted statment to make.

20. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

I voted to start neither as I like the chemistry our team has. Obviously, both James and Scola are more talented and useful than their counterparts that start, but like others have said, if you start them, then you weaken the bench.

Honestly, I don't care who starts and who doesn't - as long as James and Scola are out there to end games, that's all that matters to me.