1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dedicated Thread on Yao Ming's Rehabilitation

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by pryuen, Dec 25, 2006.

Tags:
  1. heech

heech Contributing Member

Take a look at the testimonial videos on that site.

I remember the ones of Eddie Jordan and the Wizards trainer talks about that. If the pressure is turned high enough, you can just about float. Eddie Jordan talks about how it helps him maintain posture, how he can't lose balance. I think the amputee talks about that too.

This is spin-off from NASA technology (for astronauts training in low-g environments), so these guys definitely know what they're doing.

2. heech

Uh, okay. Maybe Yao should just sit at home eating tubs of ice cream until he's ready to play.

Of course he's not going to step off a treadmill in "game shape", but he'll certainly be closer to it than many others who're starting from point zero.

3. SonKhan

SonKhan Member

The videos and pics show him running on the ground (football field and basketball court), not a blow up treadmill. I thiink that by the footage they have released, he is way beyond running on that thing.

4. SonKhan

SonKhan Member

Do you work for the guys who make that machine or something? Sounds like an advertising pitch.

5. SuperYanthrax

SuperYanthrax Member

Maybe so, but what do you have against this treadmill thing anyway? At that point in his rehab (this was like 2 weeks ago or so) that's what Yao could do.

There is no rehab or practice that will get anybody in game shape, and this machine doesn't claim to do so.

6. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

Just heard on roxs radio that "hopefully Yao will return in one week"

does anyone know where the robotic leg phoochop pic of Yao is?

7. rn_xw

rn_xw Member

and I just heard that the brace is 1.5lbs

8. heech

No, I don't work for these guys. I just browse onto their site after the treadmill was named in a Philly paper, and looked at the videos. And those videos are pretty damn impressive. The rest of the conclusions are pretty easy to draw.

The Philly paper said the Rockets paid $75k for the thing, just for Yao. From the point of view of the Rockets' budget, that's probably not too much of an expense... but it's still a serious investment in something real.

In terms of "beyond running in this", I'm guessing you know next to nothing about how athletes train. Every step that Yao takes represents better cardio training and muscle tone, but every step represents immense strain on his knee. Think about what's brought Shaq and Yao down the last few years; it's rarely major structural damage, it's just constant wear and tear.

Talk to any professional athlete or runner. Keeping weight off their knee/leg while allowing realistic cross-training + cardio work is a huge win.

I for one am hoping the Rockets willingness to experiment with the newest technology with Yao will pay off. What's your angle on this?

#528 heech, Feb 25, 2007
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2007
  9. SonKhan

SonKhan Member

No angle.

10. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

This expense is a no-fricken-brainer. If this treadmill helps Yao get back better, and helps the team succeed then it's well worth it. Providing the Rox with even one additional playoff game, means they'll make back the investment over 10-fold.

11. Ducky

Ducky Member

two weeks babies, two weeks, and we'll see Yao on the ground again!

12. pryuen

pryuen Contributing Member

Part 1 of an exclusive interview of Yao Ming by Wang Meng of Titan Sports before Yao Ming left Atlanta.

Part 2 will be available soon. Stay tune. :p

13. Champ06

Champ06 Member

Tracy McGrady: I will defers if I have to, in order to win.

Yao Ming: The result is all-important. I am fine (with any kind of changes in tactics) as long as this team wins.

Gosh, I like the stars' attitude. As for McGrady, don't be too passive when Yao returns. Yao do need your offensive support. Both of you are co-first option.

14. pryuen

pryuen Contributing Member

Here is Part 2 of the Titan Sports interview of Yao Ming.

I just love that kind of self confidence he has about knowing who he is and what he is, and he does not want to intentionally pick on a lesser/weaker opponents for his reurn.

15. Ehsan

Ehsan Member

Yao needs to come back soon. The team is beginning to run out of steam. They have put in so much effort since he got injured to bring us to this excellent record, but it's wearing on them and it's quite obvious from the games. Yao will rejuvenate the team again to make a nice run. March 7th sounds great.

16. Rockets007

Rockets007 Contributing Member

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl//4581152.html

Yao seems bothered by brace

By JONATHAN FEIGEN
    Copyright 2007 Houston Chronicle

If the Rockets seem to be looking forward to Yao Ming's return at the cost of some attention to games at hand, coach Jeff Van Gundy said Yao's practices and shootarounds have not made his return seem close enough to distract.

"What we've seen in the brief things he's able to do with us, you get the sense he's a lot further away from playing NBA basketball than maybe the timetables would suggest," Van Gundy said at Sunday's game at Orlando. "He does not look comfortable at all with the brace. He does not look agile. Last year, he looked on the cusp of (returning). To me, he looks like we have problems to solve there to get him back.

"He has to wear this cumbersome brace. He feels that's a huge issue to his mobility, to his jumping, to his natural running gait. He's worrying about hurting something else because of the change to his natural running gait. There are a lot of issues I think right now. He doesn't look like he did last year when he came back."

The Rockets have set mid- to late March for Yao's return. He has been trying different fits with the brace because of the muscles of his leg changing as he overcomes the atrophy during his time out.

"Remember two years ago when I wore the arm brace?" Yao said. "I had a lot of trouble with that and that was on my arm."

17. dookiester

dookiester Member

screw the brace

18. Blue Beluga

Blue Beluga Member

Looks like we are only going to get a one legged Yao back this season :D

JVG is pretty straight and accurate, so his quote about Yao really concern me.

19. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

That is my thinking too....I am not sure how the brace is going to help an injury that was caused by blunt trauma.

Maybe I am just missing something....

DD

20. Blue Beluga

Blue Beluga Member

You're missing your medical degree ;)