1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

Condoleeza Rice on National Security, pre september 11

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by SamFisher, Sep 26, 2006.

1. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

This has been mentioned before, but anyway since it's come up again, let's see what Condoleeza Rice and the Bush Administration thought was important with respect to national security and foreign policy in 2000

http://www.foreignaffairs.org/20000...ign-2000-promoting-the-national-interest.html

You can read all 9 pages or just skim them - but here's the long and short of it.

Condoleeza, being a johnny come lately cold warrior who cut her teeth as a Soviet expert right as the USSR disappeared, doubtless crossing foreign policy paths with the same cold war era neocons (Perle/Rummy/Wolfy) who brought you such things as arming islamic extremists to fight the soviets, still thinks like one now. Accordingly she doesn't seem to see the non-linear threats like terrorism and seems to be rigidly stuck in cold war paradigm.

Here's her 3 National Security priorities in brief:

1. No more nation building
    2. Commies (Russia & China)
    3. Rogue States

In detail:

Condi starts off with some distaste and disgust for, of all things the US intervention in Kosovo. I mean - protecting a bunch of muslims from ongoing genocide? When can that ever jsutify anythign?

Check - interventions for human rights reasons are off the menu (ha...)

LOL, sound familiar, I am literally speechless as to that one, I thought it couldn't get more ironic, until.......

....seriously, you can NOT make this stuff up. Anyway, that's just a sideshow.

Condi's next priority? Why, dealing with the red menace of course, like good old fashioned cold warrior.

I won't bore you with the particulars of thsi because they're largely irrelevant - however it goes on for several pages and it's obvious she considers it a primary goal (shockingly, she blames Clinton for...whatever)

Priority three: Rogue Regimes (priortiy one, Iraq, NK, Iran). Again, not a shocker. Here Condi gets to the answer for beating these regimes: Missile Defense........right....I'm sure if we had a working missile defense shield, Amedinajabad would crumble tomorrow, right?

Al Qaeda? Osama? Hezbollah? Afghanistan? Taliban? Terrorists? Terrorism?

Not on the menu. Terrorism is mentioned precisely 3 times, once in a passing reference to Chechnya when she talks about Russia, and twice generically and tangentially when she talks about the threat rogue states like Iraq, a sworn enemy of Al Qaeda.

It's all there in black and white, and not hard to see why she was asleep at the switch. These guys had one thing in mind when they took office, and refused to listen to anybody who said otherwise...because THEY were in office, they had power, therefore they were right. Even after Sept 11, this mindset of only listening to what you want to hear did not change and in fact worsened...and the results have been costly.

2. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Wow... just wow. I've heard some of this before, but as you say, the irony is just off the charts.

Keep D&D Civil.

3. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

4. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Has anyone seen the movie, "The Siege". It came out in 1998 and it is about terrorism in NY and in it they blow up a building. Denzell Washington plays a police detective and bruce willis plays a general and going back watching its shocking in the parallels to 9-11 are shocking

but the point I wanted to get at is that it seems like hollywood was ahead of the curve on the threat of terrorism in front of our government. Terrorism wasn't a debate at all in 2000. how could everyone have been so out of touch. who cares about china anymore. it makes it seem like the cold war was one of the biggest wastes of resources in the history of the world, and the irony is that these terrorists and insurgents in iraq get their weapons from old cold war regimes.

5. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

"Condi" just annoys me.

She's the worst Rice since Glen.

6. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

arlington road with tim robbins is another that comes to mind. the twist at the end of that movie was kind of freaky. it came out about the same time too (98-99). havent seen the siege, but ill check it out.

7. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Add that to her comments about thinking it was best to not respond at all to the Cole bombing, and it is plain to see why Condi didn't provide any details or information about how the Bush administration worked as hard at preventing terrorism.

She's a joke without a shred of credibility left.

8. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

I wonder if Basso will comment in this thread. He has expressed his fondness for her, and his desire that she run for the office of president.

Yet he also favors a hardline stance against terrorism, especially after 9/11.

Yet it was post 9/11 that Condi was still claiming that she believed that the U.S. shouldn't have retaliated against the Cole bombing.

Her dishonesty has been shown time and time again.

I would be interested to know how Basso can reconcile his professed concern for striking at terrorism, and favorable opinion of Rice as Pres. candidate with her weak stances on terrorism.

9. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

First, a little history...

And now, we learn the press release went through Rice's office...

Since 9-11 I've met, trained with, and worked with several FDNY folks. I've heard tales. This is personal and given all the outrages that this administration has committed, this is the one for which I have the most visceral, emotional reaction. They lied to the people crawling through the wreckage. Bush stood with a bullhorn and made those people a prop while his administration lied to them about the dangers they were working in. And they lied for political purposes. I do hope God has mercy because I know I have none where these people are concerned. If I was the Almighty, every one of them from Bush on down would burn for eternity in a mix of concrete, glass, furniture, carpets, insulation, computers, paper, metals, sulfuric acid, and "organic matter."

10. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

Thanks for the article from the Post.

She is a really horrible person who has done so many awful things it is hard to imagine how she has a job in the whitehouse and has even been promoted when she should have been shamed at every opportunity.

11. No Worries

Ah brown sugar how come you taste so good
    (a-ha) brown sugar, just like a young girl should

;)

12. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

Condi ain't brown sugar.

She's brown castor oil.

13. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

I actually did some research about the air quality post 9/11 in NY for an environmental class. It was about as healthy as drano. No exaggeration.

14. No Worries

W disagrees ;)

15. NewYorker

NewYorker Ghost of Clutch Fans

The funny thing is that when she said the air was safe to breathe I was shocked myself. I was about 20 blocks north and when the wind blew north the entire city stunk and you just had to go inside because it was that bad. How anyone in their right mind thought that breathing in that air was somehow safe clearly had to be smoking something. If the air was so safe to breathe, she should have overseen the clean-up of the WTC site.

16. NewYorker

NewYorker Ghost of Clutch Fans

Did your science teacher give you an A and a smily sticker?

17. real_egal

real_egal Contributing Member

Well, at Saks Fifth Avenue where she shopped for shoes, Condi didn't smell that. It must be clean.