1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron] Vince Young to Enter NFL Draft

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by hoang17, Jan 8, 2006.

1. jtotheb

jtotheb Contributing Member

So, teams have to go through some sort of "probationary period" for you then? Just admit it, you're a LONGHORN fan. That's why whomever drafts VY will sway your loyalty. Why don't you just stick with the NCAA then. That way, the Longhorns can be your "pro" team.

Passive fan? Isn't that an oxymoron? I became a fan because they RESIDE in Houston. I could care less what their name is.

2. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

You know what this is starting to piss me off. Who gives a sh** who we draft because either one of the top THREE picks would be solid choices. I'm just ready to embrace a winning Houston football team again. And I want the organization to pick the best player to get us into that position the quickest. And if you turn you're back on the Texans because they don't select VY, then f*** off, cause you're not a true fan anyways. Believe me, you won't be missed among the fanbase, cause this is a football city first and they'll be plenty of other people to cheer in your place and get behind whoever we draft and the team as well.

3. hoang17

hoang17 Contributing Member

If you draft a QB in the first round, you got to finish off the draft picking all offense to fill in all the holes (OL, 2nd WR, TE). Look at what Indy's done all these years. They built offense first then built defense.

Also, in a way, as bad as it is, we did go through the draft for defense the last 2 years.

Philip Buchanon (2nd and 3rd round pick)
    Jason Babin (2nd, 3rd, 4th round pick)
    Travis Johnson (1st round pick)

The defense will be in a new system probably (4-3), and I definitely can see Babin as an 4-3 end instead of a 3-4 linebacker. Travis Johnson should be more aggressive next year because 4-3 tackles have more control in aggression whereas in the 3-4, they're just there to make holes for the LBs.

I blame our defense all on management. They overpaid and gave guys extensions that don't deserve them (Walker, Wong) and they signed guys that aren't even as talented as the ones they let go (Greenwod vs. Sharper). I just don't understand how Casserly is still the GM of this franchise. Not only has he missed on all his 2nd/3rd round picks, but he's given a ton of money to players that wouldn't even be starting on half the teams in the NFL. We have the 3rd highest payroll in the league yet, we have as many holes on this team as the expansion team in 2002. :rolleyes:

#43 hoang17, Jan 8, 2006
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2006
  4. MykTek

MykTek Member

if it were a perfect world, we would trade DD, a couple of 1st rd picks and pick up VY while taking Bush w/ the #1....and have a Carr play another season as the starter and then VY will be ready to compete for the position....

this is far out there...imagine, a backfield of carr at qb and bush and vy as backs....that would make a def coach go crazy....time to make-up a new offensive that has 2 qb's, one of them being a part-time back.... lol ....or we can do the 1st/2nd down Carr, 3rd down VY....reminds me of Alabama when they had David Palmer....he would play qb on 3rd down and everything else on 1st/2nd..... hehehe

5. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

My exact sentiment word for word.

:)

It is really hard to get your fans to get attached emotionally with your team. Charlie's sins will almost be forgiven if he drafts Vince regardless of the outcome. This is the safest and best thing to do.

I am 99% sure the Texans will draft Vince - Carr better start looking for a realtor soon.

The Texans will slap a Franchise tag on Carr and trade him for a second or third rounder (or the highest bidder).

I am stoked and sooooooo excited for Houston sports now.

The Rox with JVG, Yao and Mac.

Texans with Kubiak, Vince and Dre.

Stros with the wizard, fat elvis, Andy, Backe, Morgan, scrap iron, et al

Soccer Franchise.

Cougar sports improving on all fronts.

Great people. Great people. Great people.

Life in Houston is great!.

:)

6. raw10628

raw10628 Contributing Member

What cracks me up are the "true fan" commets. How can a "true fan" root against his team to get the #1 pick then tell others they aren't a true fan. I don't care what you say you are but a "TRUE FAN" does not root against their team EVER!

Back on topic though, I say draft Young and watch Bush be the next Bryan Westbrook that can't even carry the full load of every game in a college season, much less a 16 game NFL season.

7. swilkins

swilkins Contributing Member

You guys that are saying that either is a sure thing need a reality check.

There is no sure thing in the draft.

8. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

this topic is not and simple as you make it. Maybe it deserves its own thread because I am one of those fans who believe there is a place where you can root for you team but not necessarily for them to win when there is nothing to gain by winning and a lots to lose by doing so specifically like the situation the Texans found themselves this season. We are not stupid we want to win as well and we know we need more parts and talent to do so.

It is the bigger picture/small picture thing and you are entitled to your opinion.

9. DallasThomas

DallasThomas Contributing Member

Perhaps I should have said "not-so-avid follower." But screw college football. I really can't stand it. I never went to UT, so I don't have any homerism towards them. I have more reason to cheer for the Cougars out of homerism. But I don't like college sports. I'm not really a pro football fan either. Any more, at least. I used to be a HUGE fan when I could cheer for the Oilers...but they left after '96 and I had no one to cheer for. '97, '98, '99, '00, '01 - That's five seasons of me having no reason at all whatsoever to care about football. Then comes '02. I watch the Texans, but by now I don't really enjoy football any more. '03, I watch the Texans, but still don't really enjoy football. I get all excited about the team's potential after a 7-9 '04, but I still don't care much about football. Then comes this season.

Meanwhile, my last year in Houston, I watched Vince Young play some high school football in the Division II playoffs at the Astrodome. I was amazed by him. I moved to Austin about the same time he did and had a slight reason to care about football when he started playing for UT. I really don't like college football because it's all pointless with no playoff system, so I've kind of disregarded it as a real sport. It's fun to watch Vince Young play, though.

In '06, I could finally have a reason to get back into pro football. I doubt I'd really be a huge fan of the Titans or Saints or whoever else Vince might play for, but I'd have more of a reason to cheer for them than the Texans. You say you're a fan of the team because they reside in Houston. Well, I don't reside in Houston, so why should I be a fan? If they got Vince Young, I would certainly have a reason.

In short, I'm not a fan of sports. I'm a fan of my teams. But I have no more reason to cheer for the Texans than I'd have to feel a sense of neighborly camaraderie towards a 4 year old Houstonian. Why I'm so livid now is the Texans have all the reason in the world to make myself and people like me back into football fans, but there's a chance they might not. If they got Reggie Bush and started winning a bunch of games, I still don't have enough reason to call the Texans "my team."

10. ico4498

ico4498 Member
    Supporting Member

way to miss a point.

for folks who were old Oiler fans who HAVEN'T warmed to the Texans VY represents a marketing coup.

how the hell is that fairweather? teams aren't bound to geographical locations. Fans don't have to either.

11. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

I think the difference lies in that if you root for your team to lose when they have nothing to gain from winning, you're still behind them win or lose. When it became painfully obivous that this season was wasted, sure I started to root for them to lose, because that would allow them to put the team in a better situation next year coming out of the draft. But if they missed out on the 1st pick because they won a few more games, well I might have been a little angry they started winnng so late, but I would still be behind the team.

Then you have all those people that say, if they don't draft VY then they won't follow the Texans. How can you say that, especially considering that any of the top three picks could make a tremendous impact to the franchise. And how can you say that after essentially one game.

12. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

press conference on channel 2 kprc.

13. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

Fairweather Fan??? Thats a misnomer in that it implys a winning season/s.

14. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

How about these:

Originally Posted by IC2000
    Hey ahole

Go [PG-13/Bleep] Yourself

Thanks for the concern though idiots! I bet you guys did not even go to college or have jobs.

15. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

Problem is, does Houston ever want to be a championship team?

If yes, then can Carr ever be a winner at that level (assuming he had an O Line)? If Carr isn't the future, then all efforts should be made to trade him and take Leinart or Young.

If Carr can get the job done, then the draft is rather simple. The Texans would benefit somewhat by having a hometown boy, but not enough if it means giving up or delaying any possibility of a championship (guess we'll just take a winning season for now :) ).

16. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Here's a still from Quinton Taratino's new nightmare movie.....

Now don't let it scare you........

because it's just a nightmare........

[​IMG]

17. pradaxpimp

pradaxpimp Contributing Member

Legs, arms... and head?

18. reggietodd

reggietodd Contributing Member

That fact that some of you want the quitter, Ricky Williams on this team tell me all I need to know. You want the Texans to become the Longhorns, regardless if thats what is best for the team. Stupid.

19. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Hey, Ricky had a pretty good year.

How'd Carr do?

20. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I think the team with Vince, but even without Ricky, is still better than the team with Carr, Bush, and AJ.

#60 Nick, Jan 8, 2006
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2006