1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texas voter ID law struck down: Impact on U.S. election?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Carl Herrera, Jul 20, 2016.

1. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

Back in 2010, my license had lapsed and I was in the process of acquiring the documentation to get a new one when my employer sent me to Austin to meet with people who were using a technology platform I manage for a process we were considering.

TSA took my UH issued ID to let me on the plane.

2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Sounds like an awful policy, but good for you. Out of curiosity, did you show them the out of date license as well as your UH ID? That would make a bit of sense.

3. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

“Common sense is what tells us the earth is flat.”
    ― Stuart Chase, Language in Thought and Action

4. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

I've gotten on a plane with a student ID before as well.

But you don't have to prove citizenship to fly.

5. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

No, I went to Hobby the day before to talk to TSA and they told me they wouldn't even consider that the expired license existed because it was expired.

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Fair enough, I think that's kind of a bad policy but I'll really be impressed when you use that ID to start a bank account, cash a check, or get a loan with.

7. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Here you go...

Apparently, not...

Texas Clarifies That It Discriminates Against Democratic Voters — Not Minorities

8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

9. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

No problem. Here's a thread that talks about it.

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=229947

10. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

11. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I think now would be the appropriate time to have a national ID card -- an internal passport, if you will. A single card, with a chip, issued to every man, woman, and child, that can serve as an voter ID card, a driver's license, a hunting license, a CHL, a social security card, a student ID, a VA ID, and anything else identity- or membership-related.

You don't need to prove all over again that you are old enough to vote (and aren't a felon, etc) -- they've already vetted you when you registered to vote. All the ID does is confirm you're the person you claim to be on the voter rolls.

12. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

I've gone through 5 pages and haven't seen anything about any Texas officials making these claims. Did I miss something?

13. NewRoxFan

oddly enough, Bank of America does not require a drivers license or any other state-issued ID to open a bank account:

https://www.bankofamerica.com/deposits/manage/faq-applying-for-accounts.go

14. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

I stand corrected.

15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I'm fine with anyone using any form of ID to vote that is accepted to purchase a firearm with. If you want to make it to where all you need is a university ID then that's cool. Apparently you think that is sufficient ID.

16. NewRoxFan

I believe the thread was about Florida officials. Here's the post you may be looking for:

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showpost.php?p=7397206&postcount=105

Are you really looking for a Texas politician admitting they designed the bill to discriminate?

In any event, the circuit court already came to that conclusion that the Texas law discriminates against minority voters.

17. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

There were multiple claims that Republican officials had admitted the intent of the law was to disenfranchise or discriminate minority voters. Was looking for evidence of that -- but it appears all of the evidence is in regard to other voter ID laws.

Since this was a discussion of Texas' law, I assumed they were accusing Texas officials of making these statements.

Pretty sure the court came to the conclusion that Texas 'veered dangerously close to intentional discrimination' or something to that effect. I don't think the court explicitly accused Texas of discriminating.

18. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Hi - I am JuanValdez, a guy who has opinions. I am going to solipsitically opine on something for you, at length because I am JuanValdez, a guy who has opinions.

Do I have much basis for this opinion? God no. I am no lawyer. But it doesn't matter, why? Becuase I am JuanValdez, a guy who has opinions

Of course it isn't apt..it's an purposefully absurd example, which addresses a nonexistent problem...but it has a very low cost of compliance and likely wouldn't disenfranchise people. Cost of compliance seems to be the primary focus of many of the law's backers (is it really that hard? I don't see the issue? ) - which is a completely ass-backwards way to approach any proposed regulation, particularly one like this.

Perhaps, as you sat down and read the latest circuit court decisions, as you are wont to do, with a glass of Johnnie Walker, neat, in your book-lined study with your gilded lighting and bronze fixtures you neglected to notice this passage? Or did you even read the decision?

And here is the part that it was upholding:

I know, you have an opinion, because you are JuanValdez, a guy who has opinions. Sometimes those opinions are about opinions. Sometimes they are about opinions I don't even read. But they are opinions, and by god, you will hear about them

19. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

Have NON citizens vote for things that impact citizens who pay taxes.

-party of handing out real money and replacing it with monopoly money...

These folks have zero difficulty getting government checks but when it comes time for voting they scream racism/discrimination...If I need to show a fking ID to get into a club/bar, they better have a law that allows for proper identification for voting.

20. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

No, sorry, I was responding the general issue of the a party's recent history regarding the issues of voter suppression. It wasn't about the Texas specific laws except in a very general sense. Sorry for the confusion.