1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cyberx: Rockets will go after Durant hard in 2016

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RV6, Feb 18, 2015.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

People cry at the end of these threads just like I did when I first read the book.

2. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

JJ Watt was back home in Milwaukee and he had a word and a shake/hug with KD at the bux vs thunder. I think he was recruiting him to Houston!

3. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

That's a tall order for the Thunder. And considering KD's "criteria" to finding a new team (and GS is not at the top according to the below), I would have to think the Rockets are on it. Probably Miami too.
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Kevin Durant will reportedly leave OKC if the Thunder don't reach the NBA Finals. <a href="https://t.co/DjFwgeS40y">https://t.co/DjFwgeS40y</a> <a href="https://t.co/0CqyvLCjwf">pic.twitter.com/0CqyvLCjwf</a></p>&mdash; theScore (@theScore) <a href="https://twitter.com/theScore/status/706979023507697664">March 7, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I posted this write up in another thread, but wanted to move it into this thread as it is more relevant.

###
    [TL;DR: Rockets (with Harden) and the ability to generate cap room for 2 max free agents, makes sense for Kevin Durant and Al Horford, especially since Durant wants to play with Horford and be on a title contending team.]

Count me in as one that believes that Morey & the Rockets will go full force for FA Kevin Durant. With the lure being his friendship and familiarity with James Harden and the ability to add a 2nd MAX impact player to the roster to be competitive for an NBA championship. Being a part of choosing a new coach could also be a key component. Either someone that is familiar like Scott Brooks or a defensive first coach like Jeff Van Gundy/Thibs.

Why would Kevin Durant choose the Rockets? What is Durant thinking as he heads into free agency?

WHY/BACKDROP
    WOJ on FoxSporsRadio regarding Kevin Durant….
    http://thebiglead.com/2016/02/20/kevin-durant-lakers-free-agency-warriors/

Kevin Durant wants to win a Championship right away. Either he wants to do that in Oklahoma City, with the group they have, or he’s going to go somewhere he can win a title right away.

If Kevin Durant leaves Oklahoma – if he leaves – he wants to be ready to win a Championship right away. He’s at a point in his career [where] he can’t wait 2-3 years or wait for a team to build or hope that it happens.

Part of his criteria, sources tell me: Is that team good enough to beat Golden State with me on it? Or is it Golden State? Or can I stay in Oklahoma and continue to compete for a Championship?

Zach Lowe LowePost podcast with David Thorpe (Kevin Durant & Al Horford)
    http://espn.go.com/espnradio/play?id=14808166

Zach drops a bomb at the ~32 min mark and says: "I have heard from 2 really powerful guys in the league that normally don't BS around say they have heard that Horford is on the short list of guys Durant really wants to play with."

If KD wants to play WITH Horford, AND be on a roster that is ready to compete NOW for a championship, then the Houston Rockets "with Harden already on the roster" is THE team to get it done. (as opposed to Washington, Orlando who have young guys/coaches that might not appeal to Durant.).

THE BIG 3 MODEL
    The "Big 3 Heat scenario." The Heat have star Dwyane Wade and attract Lebron James and Chris Bosh. The Heat have money for 2 MAX contracts and make it work. Lebron & Bosh join up with Wade to win a championship.

The "Big 3 Rockets scenario." The Rockets have star James Harden and attract Kevin Durant and Al Horford. The Rockets have money for 2 MAX contracts and make it work. KD & Horford join up with Harden for a chance to win a championship together, knowing that alone it will be difficult with the Warriors, Spurs, Cavs at the top.

To get KD, the Rockets have to have buy in from Horford. And that also means Dwight Howard is renounced.

THE CONTRACTS
    It's obvious that Horford is going to want a 4yr max contract. He could take the 5yr max from Atlanta IF they offer that. Just like Bosh did with the Heat. But if Horford is chasing a ring, he might be ok with the 4yr max from Houston.

KD could clearly do a 1+1 deal with OKC, but it is unclear if KD wants the long term "security" of a 4yr deal much like LaMarcus Aldridge took. LMA spurned the 1+1 from Portland because he wanted the security AND the chance at a title with the Spurs. Houston gives KD that. Sure KD could sign a 4 or 5 year deal with OKC, but will Westbrook and Ibaka bolt (LA?) when their deals are up next year? Does KD want to be stuck there? How committed is small market OKC to spending money over the next few seasons? These are all factors KD has to consider and ones where the Rockets/Harden situation clearly could be part of the discussion.

KD's MOTIVATIONS
    If KD does not think OKC, now, with Westbrook and Ibaka can win the title, what does he do? What are his options? He could join the Warriors (be a 3rd wheel but with a great chance of winning the championship as a role player) or he could join the Rockets to help elevate them (be the REASON) they win the tile. We know he wants the title, but the question is does it matter to him "how" he wins the title.

For KD, if the choice is stay in OKC or go to Houston he would have to evaluate which tandem Westbrook+Ibaka or Harden+Horford would elevate his game to help win a title. And evaluate which organization, Houston/OKC, can add the sufficient role players and coaches to augment the core.

THE ROSTER
    The Rockets trading DMO for that 1st round pick is a clue to setting up the team for the 2 Max scenario. The Rockets want the cost controlled asset of a cheap 1st round pick versus a more expensive veteran. To get to 2 Max they are going to have to let Ty Lawson (non guaranteed) go, renounce Dwight Howard and let TJones walk in FA. They would have to have done the same for DMO (but instead get the pick). Further, the Rockets will have to trade either Corey Brewer or Trevor Ariza (or Beverley). Obviously we would rather move Brewer but that might be difficult. Ariza could easily be moved because he has value and the Rockets could even get an asset in return (draft pick etc).

PG: Beverley / Terry (vet min)
    SG: Harden / McDaneils
    SF: Durant / Brewer / Dekker
    PF: Horford / Smith (vet min) / Harrell
    C: Capela /
    + 2016 1st round pick.

Morey would have to massage the role players a bit, hopefully finding a way to keep Ariza. Or maybe trading McDaniels for a Jared Dudley type gritty role player and adding another PG and Big. Not sure how much cap room is left after adding 2 max players. I'll let the cap guru's punch those numbers. But a Harden/Durant/Horford core would be rock solid and would allow the team to play a fast pace or a defensive slow down pace. Half court offense would immediately get better. Horford probably would play C for much of the time and his ability to space the floor with shooting (including 3pt shooting range) would be huge for the Rockets. Horford would be a decent matchup for Draymond Green.

EDIT (3/8/16): A couple of transactions happened after I initially wrote this. DMo has returned. Rockets could hold onto his rights as a RFA and might be able to play the RFA market in their favor on DMo with the injury risk. Rockets have Beasley & Goudelock on N/G deals with team option next year. So some added bench depth. And for what it is worth (not too much in my opinion) the friendship of Beasley/KD.

People can chalk this up as a pipe dream, but it could happen. It has happened before. And we know Morey would gamble for this.

[​IMG]

#483 Deuce, Mar 8, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2016
    3 people like this.
  4. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Rockets have a good chance as any team not named OKC

1. Best NBA pal according to many reports - Harden
    2. Best childhood buddy growing up together - Beasley
    3. Ability to chose any coach he wants
    4. Gets to be the #1 guy which he won't at GSW because of Curry
    5. Another perennial all star in Harden
    6. Ability to add one more max contract
    7. Went to college in Texas, no state taxes etc.

5. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

I like what you are saying, other than I'm skeptical the Rockets will wait until mid-July to hire a coach. As evidence of typical timing, the Cavs hired David Blatt before they knew LeBron was coming, and he surely wasn't consulted.

6. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

I think Morey's smarter than that, though. I think he knows it's a good recruiting pitch to be able to offer.

7. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Look, you only have so much incentive to offer players in free agency.

You would be silly to hire a coach first instead of using it as added currency to offer the big dog in free agency. What if you picked the wrong one?

8. dkoune

dkoune Rookie

What if Durant signed in Houston but only on the condition that the rockets resign bickerstaff? Lol

9. DuDDleyDawsonII

I lol'd

10. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Hire Scotty Brooks as coach and its a slam dunk.

11. curbur

curbur Member

Then you max the **** out of Bickerstaff if that's what KD wants.

12. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Then you extend JBB. How is this even a question?

13. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

Booyah. We are not so foolish to BELIEVE. It's not as laughable of a long shot as some would have you believe. We have a decent shot.

I've said ever since Durant was in a burnt orange jersey "I would trade the whole damn farm away for that man."

Even with the foot injury history, I still feel that way.

14. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Cavs didn't think Lebron was coming, IIRC.

15. MourningWood

MourningWood Contributing Member

OKC fans' hatred for us is going to grow tenfold when we reunite Harden, KD, and Brooks here.

16. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

*cough* BLATT! *cough* BLATT!

17. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

ditto

18. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Pretty sure Harden already knows who Durant prefers as coach, and Morey will have that info.

19. Nook

Nook Member

I am not an expert.

However I do have family associated with NBA teams and the name I hear over and over again is: "Miami" or "LA".

Also do not be shocked if LeBron James joins Durant somewhere next year.

James wants out.

20. Nook

Nook Member

Durant does not especially want Brooks to be his head coach again.

Durant LIKES Brooks personally, but that doesn't mean he wants him as his head coach.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.