1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Big 12 Expansion rumors

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by tinman, Dec 7, 2014.

1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think the Big-12 is fine if they fix their issues.

Baylor, TCU, OU, OK State are top teams in the country
    Kansas sucks, but they are dominate in hoops

They need Texas to be good again, plus add 2 more teams and have a championship game again.

2. Major

Major Member

Travel and logistics is very expensive for those - not necessarily for football, but for all the non-revenue generating sports. It also sucks on fans and ticket sales since road teams can't easily travel and fill stadiums. When Baylor sucked, UT/A&M/etc fans would happily buy up all their excess tickets for those games - no luck when your nearest opponent is 1500 miles away.

There's a reason all the most successful conferences are regional and only the 2nd tier conferences went national (Conf USA, etc). It's also why the Big12 wants to try to find a friend for West Virginia (Cinci?) if they expand and go to two divisions.

UH will likely be happy to take anything they can get, like TCU and Boise did when they originally tried joining the Big East. But the conferences do like their regional appeal, so there's a matter of convincing the Pac12 members like Washington and Oregon that they want to travel to Houston.

3. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Ok reread it and they meant the fleeing schools would make more in their new conference tv deals than UT would make from LHN alone. While true, the article fails to calculate tv revenue from the Big 12 on top of LHN. Ya the Big 12 would have gotten a better deal with those deflecting schools but not a whole lot more IMO, not enough to cover the 300M from LHN at least.

But all things being equal, I would like to see the Big 12 dissolve and UT join the Big 10 eventually. Good conference athletically and academically.

4. Buck Turgidson

This is the elephant in the room.

5. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

ACC or SEC for UH.

1 person likes this.
  6. Newlin

Newlin Member

You don't know why UH wants in the Big12. Really? Because they are currently in the American Athletic conference. That's why.

Now if they had there choice of any conference to join, it might not be the Big 12, but the Coogs aren't in that position. As a fan, I would probably want to see them play in either the SEC, or the Big 12. I'm not a fan of conferences that go from coast to coast. I like conferences that have schools all in one region. I think schools all in one region are able to develop rivalries easier. And it's also easier when traveling to away games.

7. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

A chill wind is blowing through the Big 12. This is open rebellion.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/johnehoover/john-e-hoover-david-boren-tired-of-big-s-little/article_cd7816c7-5571-5ebe-9392-3911e9337f83.html?mode=jqm

8. gucci888

Pretty much coincides with a Chip Brown article posted yesterday. Couple interesting quotes/points:

9. Nook

Nook Member

The Big XII is a very poorly managed conference and UT is a huge part of that.

10. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Sittler is basically Boren's best buddy. Makes me nervous to see UH not in the top 2.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Big 12's apparent current pecking order: Cincy, UConn, Houston, UCF, USF, Memphis, Tulane, BYU. Even though UConn seems closer to Iceland.</p>&mdash; Dave Sittler (@DaveSittler) <a href="https://twitter.com/DaveSittler/status/688067499888263168">January 15, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

11. shsu33

shsu33 Member

So many ppl have been saying no to UH b/c it's another TX team in Big12. Why is this a thing?! Houston alone is the 9th largest TV market in nation. Advertisers that are paying to get their products seen by as many human eyeballs as possible, how does Uconn/Cincy/BYU TV markets stand to Houston? Add all three up and Houston still has more eyeballs watching that commercial. That's what it's about, stop getting geographical markets & high population density markets mixed up. #2 explained it to Dr. Evil in the 1st Austin Powers movie, "it's about markets not taking over the world anymore!" Might as well say, there isn't an NFL team near Idaho/Dakota area's so let's put the Raiders there. UH is the best option being a Tier 1 institution, new stadium that will expand to 60,000 once guaranteed in Big12, basketball practice facility, baseball/football field houses, basketball arena being renovated, 9th largest TV market w/ internships everywhere, UT/OU/Baylor/TCU/Tech will fill 60,000 seats whether UH is filling them with coog fans or not. That's a butt load of money talk with advertisers/TV station compared to a CFB fan crying that Texas already has too many schools in Big12 with a whimper. Money will win that argument as well it should. The city of Houston, as well as its young citizens looking to play top tier college sports at home, deserves a P5 program and it will get there. But anyone that cries, too many TX schools already & UH won't expand the market has got to stop looking at a globe and realize more eyeballs watching is expanding the market for Big12! SEC dominated the Houston TV market this year. UT/OU was 4th! A full point behind Alabama/Florida & almost 2 points to both Alabama/LSU & aTm/Alabama. Houston/Temple got 5th place just below the RedRiver rivalry. If UH goes to Big12 those TV numbers would absolutely change in favor of Big12. SEC would still get good numbers with aTm/LSU/Alabama/Florida but UH will put Big12 on top of Houston market once again. Along with that, UH will actually make the other Big12 schools more money by including such a bigger TV market. As far as money goes, UH is the best option and if Big12 doesn't take them it's only a matter of time before another P5 conference comes knocking on their door. Just keep doing what your doing UH, it's gonna happen with or without Big12

12. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

having wvu in the b12 is stupid. now they want to add regional partners for wvu.

between the player exploitation, ncaa overlords, **** rankings, shady recruiting, boosters, inequality, and the conferences free for all, college football can suck a bag of dicks.

13. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

It was the right thing at the time. WVU was the best program standing at the time. They're competitive in all sports and have a reasonable regional following. The Big XII had to get a 10th team and they were the best choice at the time to maintain the competitiveness of the league.

14. tinman

Supporting Member

You don't understand about markets.

Go ask people what schools people in houston graduated from. There's your answer.

And ask yourself why they keep showing the aggies and longhorns games all the time.

#354 tinman, Jan 15, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2016
  15. gucci888

UConn is an interesting choice. Personally I'd rather migrate a little further south but UConn basketball would be a big addition to the conference.

16. shsu33

shsu33 Member

I understand that a bigger density market is better than a larger region area with less density. So I do know how TV markets work Mr. Tinman.
    I know there are many ppl that graduated from UH in the Houston area as well as other schools which is why I pointed out that TDECU being 60,000 would be no problem to fill so thanx for helping that point. They show Aggie & Longhorn as well as other major programs in Houston for that same reason plus UH isn't in the Big12. Houston has a huge population w/ many fans from many different regions. UH not being on TV every game in Houston market has everything to do with not being in Big12 or another P5, Big12 would be best option.
    So Mr. Tinman, how do you not acknowledge the money and TV aspect? You would rather resort to saying "I don't know anything about markets" when I obviously do know about markets if you read first post. Please explain how I'm wrong on all this w/o asking stupid questions that I easily answered. Explain how UH did very well in Astrodome when they were in the SWC? I was there as a young child, Weatherspoooon! You mainly come off as a UH hater and don't recognize how awesome of a University UH has become and that's coming from a SHSU grad. Stop hating and support the city of Houston getting into a P5. We deserve it and so does UH

17. tinman

Supporting Member

The Big 12 is already in the Houston Market, so is the SEC.

Why am I a UH hater? they produced Hakeem Olajuwon. I'm pointing out your argument is completely wrong.

UH doesn't equal Houston market. If you have UH played A&M at reliant, guess what university will have more fans? Same with UT.

UH, the football program is great, however the TV market, the big 12 doesn't need. They want to expand into NEW MARKETS, that's why Uconn and Cinci are top on their list.

You should think the Pac-12 or Big 10 want to go get UH to expand their markets.

18. shsu33

shsu33 Member

UH doesn't have the whole Houston market but they have a huge piece of the pie. Showing with 4 top ESPN 300 recruits in nation deciding to join their cities top program. One that dropped TCU to go to UH said "my city is calling me." What they are doing right now is laying claim that UH is this cities university and continue to recruits it's talent. That just a plus though, Big12 should be drooling at the chance to bring in UH, from a education perspective it's a no brainier, same for money aspect. Just a few TX teams worried about Houston recruits not coming their way is stopping it? That's ridiculous. I sometimes hope the Pac12 does come calling just to prove a point to Big12 but I would prefer to bring back old SWC rivalries. Arkansas/aTm at AT&T is awesome & SEC enjoying that.
    Big12 may already be in the Houston market but they are losing to SEC & that should be reason enough to want UH in conf. Either way it's going to get done, not if but when type thing at this point b/c P5's are running out of excuses to keep them out.

19. tinman

Supporting Member

I understand you want UH to join because you went there, but you need to see the big picture
    (posted earlier)

http://newsok.com/article/5472760

IF THE BIG 12 CAN FIND CONSENSUS ON EXPANSION?, WHO ARE THE EXPANSION POSSIBILITIES?

The usual suspects. Brigham Young and Boise State out West, Cincinnati and Connecticut back East. Those are the prime candidates. The Florida schools, South and Central, don’t seem to have much favor. And despite Houston’s excellent football season — and really, Houston’s long-term competitive history in the sport — the Cougars are a political no-go. The Big 12’s Texas schools do not want to add another Texas school to the mix, for recruiting and political reasons. OU and OSU are not quite as opposed to Houston.

20. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

I laughed out loud.

1 person likes this.