1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Under 26 year olds now insured bc of Obama's health care victory.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by glynch, Nov 1, 2010.

1. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

In case you missed it those of you, as of IRC 09/01/10 under 26 can now get back on your parent's health insurance. Your parent's employers may not not broadcasting this.

The GOP fought tooth and nail to prevent this, and 100% of the GOP senate voted against it, but there are a couple of miilion young folks now covered under their parents insurance.

Libertarians and true economic conservatives might choose to remain true to the faith, run the risk and put their faith in jogging, health food and the market, but I would advise others not to risk it.

2. sm0d

sm0d Contributing Member

i was kicked off of my dad's insurance plan when i turned 22.

haven't been to the doctor since. and it's been 4+ years.

3. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Have you had a reason to go?

4. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Great for the bums that have parents willing to pay for their policies!

5. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

how repressive is this! Giving people health insurance!!!!

That's like nazis man. Obama is Hitler, and Stalin!!!!

6. AntiSonic

AntiSonic Member

And all the childless folks whose rates skyrocket.

7. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

With all due respect, that was an idiotic post. As a parent paying a lot of money to send my 19 year old son out of state to school, I'm damn glad that when he's working on his doctorate, he won't be worrying about how he's going to afford to pay for healthcare.

8. s land balla

s land balla Contributing Member

I'll be "under 26" for another 25 days...can I still hop back on pop's insurance? :)

9. sm0d

sm0d Contributing Member

of course. in fact i need to go as we speak.

10. MiddleMan

MiddleMan Contributing Member

That is good news for all those college students.

11. glynch

Another post from a libertarian/conservative showing where they are really at.

12. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

you need to turn on your sarcasm detector, juicystream is a good moderate poster and pro healthcare reform

13. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I guess that depends on the policy. I don't pay more for a family policy if I have extra family members.

14. glynch

BTW my spouse has the type of good institutional benefits that have allowed my 23 yr old law student son to remain on her great insurance even before Obama overcame the GOP on health care.

I suppose I could go all libertarian/conservative like juicyfruit and begrudge those under 26 yr olds who have now gotten back on. Who knows maybe it will raise our own premiums a few bucks? So I should say screw them. Instead I'm glad for those young folks who are now insured.

Looking forward to that day when the ideology of selfishness of contemporary libertarian/conservatism is looked upon sort of like slavery is today.

2 people like this.
  15. juicystream

But you could have bought him a private policy beforehand...

Or bought his school's policy, or gotten his policy through where he does his residency/internship. The choices were there before.

The individual winners were the ones with pre-existing conditions, and with limitations on how much you can be charged for your insurance it will be cheaper for your son to get his own insurance through the exchange anyways...

Edit: Whats interesting is I have a friend who is a Med student, who in the past year got dropped from her parent's health insurance. She is now on CVS's health insurance which is where she works, but went a few months without. She has a pre-existing condition that prevented her from getting private insurance. So to be fair, I shouldn't have been so blanketed with my statement.

#15 juicystream, Nov 1, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2010
  16. Big Shot Bob

Big Shot Bob Member

I totally agree with you. Repped.

17. juicystream

I am pro healthcare reform, but my intent wasn't sarcastic in this case. It isn't that I hate this part of the bill, its that I don't see it fixing problems. Of course FranchiseBlade makes a valid point that some people don't pay extra for their kids because they already have a set family policy.

It is funny that I'm actually in favor of a government option, and would actually prefer government ran care rather than what we got.

18. glynch

This goes to show that there was no sarcasm.

On economic issues hopefull juicyfruit is not what passes for a moderate nowdays.

19. SunsRocketsfan

I think what juicyfruit said is very logical and makes a lot of sense. Have you ever thought he is the moderate and that you are the extreme???

20. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

In Texas it was already age 25 so this isn't a huge deal for Texans. As for employers not advertising it, it's not as simple as you are making it sound Glynch. (Not surprised)