1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dental: Deep Cleaning- Is it a scam???

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Jeremiah, Sep 29, 2008.

1. Jeremiah

Jeremiah Contributing Member

I'll be leaving my old job soon and I won't have dental any more. The only reason I'm really carrying it this year is for my wife's wisdom teeth, but I get a free cleaning out of it. I went today and the dentist recommended a 'deep cleaning' (periodontal scaling). Instead of free it will cost me $175 out of pocket.

Anyone had one of these? Is it worth it? $175 isn't a terrible amount of money, I've never had it done, and I'm getting older so I need to take care of myself. I know you can buy stuff to clean out the periodontal areas (under the gums). I'm a little torn on what to do and need to make a decision fast.

2. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

If they are not cutting your guns and sewing them back up (which would cost more than 175) it is a scam as most dentists would do it for the normal price.

Also you should go to the dentist more often. Thats gross dude.

3. EssTooKayTD

EssTooKayTD Contributing Member

If it's the cleaning I'm thinking about it's a pretty uncomfortable procedure. It's like this metal hook that uses sonic power to clean your teeth and gums? Also shoots medicine in there.

Is it worth it? Hell if I know. I just know I never needed laughing gas for the dentist, but after receiving my last cleaning, I might actually do it next time. I've had a couple of root canals and stuff done, but that cleaning was the most uncomfortable I've felt in a dentist chair before.

Have fun :) Again...I could be mixing up the procedures.

4. Jeremiah

It's $175 out of pocket. It's close to $700, but the dental insurance covers most of it- I have to pay that $175.

I get my teeth cleaned every 18 months or so because I really take care of them. The dentist said that my teeth looked good, so I guess it's enough. The 'deep cleaning' gets down in the gums where tooth brushes cant reach.

Not positive on the procedure, but they do numb everything up and go to town, and suggest doing it by 'quadrant' in four different visits.

5. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

You need to floss more often. I'd spend the money. $175 is cheap, and you don't want gum disease.

6. Bandwagoner

Yeah 18 months is not nearly enough. There are some areas you just cannot get to. You are supposed to go often enough to they are cleaned before they become a problem.

He probably meant in fundamental good shape meaning you have not lost enough bone for them to fall out yet.

7. Gutter Snipe

Gutter Snipe Contributing Member

It's a scam dude. I broke a crown so I ended up in Castle Dental. They gave me the same spiel - you have some 3 & 4 depth pockets, you need to come in for two separate visits for deep planing and cleaning or whatever.

When I went to the UT Dental center a month later, the doctor told me that my teeth were fine. He said he interviewed at Castle and didn't take the job because pushing unnecessary services was part of the job description.

8. NateNate

NateNate Member

Hey quick question.... im having a root canal done soon...what can i expect? also do you remember how much it was before insurance?

9. Bandwagoner

I've never had one but

depending on how many roots the tooth has you can probably expect long times drilling. and well over 1000 without insurance,

10. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Man, I've got to go. Been like 5-6 yrs since I last went to the dentist. Have straight teeth but could use a cleaning.

11. Bandwagoner

yeah dude getting your teeth routinely isn;t a joke.

It is kinda needed if you want to keep them in your head.

12. chow_yun_fat

chow_yun_fat Contributing Member

Is deep cleaning the same as normal cleaning?

I remember way back it used to be roughly $50. This changed due to a new restriction? the dental association put in place. They have to x-ray/inspect your teeth first before they can do a cleaning. I'm assuming some people had problems after cleaning and sued the dentist....or they just want more money for a simple procedure.

13. Bandwagoner

it came about by insurance giving less and less for the routine cleanings.

The dentist gets so little (because the cleaning is no out of pocket for the patient) that he must make up stuff in order to get any real cash.

The dentists negotiated their salaries to low to survive so have to do anything to make ends meet.

So what they do is they meet you and charge your insurance the normal rate then get another piece by doing additional work which will be at your 70% or 90% rate.

14. Jeremiah

That's exactly what I thought. But is the deep cleaning really needed?

15. Bogey

Bogey Contributing Member

I had one place tell me I needed the deep cleaning and would not give me a normal cleaning. I went to another place and they checked and said I was borderline. When I went back to them later in the year, they said I wasn't even borderline anymore. I think the addition of an electric toothbrush really helps.

16. Fatty FatBastard

Uhh. Yes, especially if you're insured.

The girl I'm dating has been a dental hygenist for years. After some goading, I set up an appointment to get my teeth cleaned. I have no dental insurance, so I shopped around. I found a place that said they would give me a cleaning and x-rays for $231.

I went to get them cleaned, and they did the x-rays and checked my teeth measurements. I had some 4 and 5 mm pockets on my back molars, and said I needed a deep cleaning. 4 quadrants at $205/per. So, basically, they wanted to charge me over $1,000 for a freaking cleaning. I was pissed.

So I brought the x-rays and perio charts to my girl to have her look at them. She said the pricing was a little high, but nothing too outrageous. Anyway, she got me in a couple weeks ago, and did it herself, so I didn't have to shell out the $800+ on the deep cleaning. But she scolded me for my back teeth while she was cleaning them.

Essentially, when a dentist says you need a deep cleaning, it is because plaque and tarter have built up substantially below the gum line, and as long as it is there, it will continue to deteriorate your gums and teeth, leading to much more substantial problems later on.

Interestingly, though, she also showed that if you take care of your teeth after they have been cleaned, you really don't need to go to the dentist that often. Basically she said to use a sonicare toothbrush and to floss everyday. And most people floss improperly, so that was the big thing people need to do. To floss properly, you need to bring the floss on each side of the tooth below the gum line and drag it along the sides of your teeth.

So, in summary, get the deep cleaning, and floss daily, and you won't run into the need to have a deep cleaning again.

17. EssTooKayTD

EssTooKayTD Contributing Member

basically they drill down and take out the nerve endings in the tooth, and then put a crown over it. Well that's my understanding of what it was. It really is not as painful as you hear it is. Once the numbing agent (novicane sp?) wasn't quite dulling all the pain, but it's bearable to me.

It's just uncomfortable b/c you have to open pretty wide for the dentist to fit the long ass drill in your mouth.

Cost wise...man, you won't like it. It's expensive. Definitely expect a 4 digit bill.

18. superfob

superfob Mommy WOW! I'm a Big Kid now.

I got the deep cleaning once (Castle Dental "recommended" it). There was no anesthetics involved. Probably the most pain I've had at a dental office besides getting my wisdom teeth pulled.

Anyways, I think I was only charged around $70 w/ insurance so $175 sounds kinda high to me.

19. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I went in to a new dentist after 3 years of no cleanings...but I did a decent job of brushing and flossing. After a while, I noticed a change in my gumline where my gums felt like they were receeding. I got concerned and went in. They measured 4 mm pockets pretty much everywhere. I thought for sure I would have to get a deep cleaning since it had been so long and I was usually only going annually before the 3 years. Turns out I just needed two visits in a month for some tough cleanings and to fill a few cavities. After that, my gums recovered quite nicely. So, I guess I lucked out.

In summary, I don't think anyone can tell you whether you need a deep cleaning other than your dentist. As we have heard from me and others, these situations where your gums are deteriorating can be reversed. If you don't trust your dentist, then get a second opinion. But, are you really going to gamble on something like that? Say you do have bacteria eating away at your gums where you cannot get to it with flossing or normal hygiene. What are your next steps? Advanced gum disease? Teeth falling out? lol

I'll be damned if I'm going to let the BBS decide whether I need a deep cleaning or not. I guess your dentist could try to scam you into doing it when you don't really need it. But, if you believe that, then find another dentist and get another opinion. The procedure itself is not a scam. Some people really do need deep cleanings. My parents did it. I think it is something we all probably will have to get done in our old age eventually.

#19 Surfguy, Sep 30, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2008
  20. BenignDMD

BenignDMD Contributing Member

Periodontal probing is not a scam! You could get a second opinion if you want. A 3-4mm pocket in the gingival sulcus is greater than normal.