1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] X-Factor: The Impact of Terrence Jones

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by GBRocket, Nov 27, 2013.

1. GBRocket

GBRocket Contributing Member

2. Omer

Omer Member

Great article, good to see Terrence finally realizing some of his potential. Perfect fit for the team as well.

3. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

You can't sleep on Terrence Jones: Not on the court, not on the sidewalk.

6 people like this.
  4. WNBA

WNBA Member

what's the deal of the ugly haircut? lost a bet or a tribute to the stomped bum?

5. HOUSTONJS

HOUSTONJS Member

YOU WIN YOUNG FELLA

6. RocketsJumer

RocketsJumer Member

I fully believe Jones can keep up his play. It's not like he is on a hot streak, offensively or playing his mind out on defense. He is making the smart play: making the right cuts, hustling to get the board, shooting the right shots. He looks to have matured a lot in the off season and is finally doing instead of thinking then doing. He looks more natural and comfortable than last year and last year he looked pretty impressive in most stretches too.

7. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

I agree with everything except the Odom comparison. Jones has played with more energy than Odom ever has and has nowhere near the PG and post up skills LO had at that point in his career.

Still, great read. Thanks for posting.

8. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Loving the user blog contributions.

DD

9. vince

vince Member

I havent watched much NBA here but it is good to hear ya'll talk of his improvement. He is the key now.

And when i hear Lamar Odom i hear the unrealistic magic johnson expectations. I hear Cuttino and Francis lobbying for the trade of #1 pick used on Yao for Odom.

I think that a legit power forward was what was needed to be true contenders. And now the team is stacked. Now all rhey need to work on is team chemistry.

10. shawn786

shawn786 Member

Nice thread & great read - 5 stars :cool:

11. clos4life

clos4life Member

Personally, I wish we didn't have to trade Asik. The team is pretty complete right now and I would love to see how far it goes.

Darn shame about Asik pooping on his big boy pants.

12. yummyhawtsauce

got excited at the idea of Jones being potentially an Odom type player. I've always wanted to see more minutes from him since last year. Guy showed a lot of fire and potential, which is what the ROckets need.

13. Raven

Raven Member

His averages are even more impressive if you only count his last eight games.

14. Raven

Raven Member

15. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

Nice article

I described him in a similar fashion in the "We have a power forward " thread, and have been a big fan of his game.

"Jones, he is something else. Smooth, athletic, long, very good feel for the game, high IQ and at times sneaky as hell. Carefully watch his game and you'll see this guy will be something special. I can't compare him to Parsons because Chandler is just fundamentally sound, it's like he read the whole book about basketball. Jones is more like the kid who learned basketball the right way in the hood. I absolutely love his game. "

16. bongman

bongman Member

What is even more amazing is that he has to go against very good players. Zach, Dirk, Love, etc.

17. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

So am I. Clutch is making a strong effort to bring us original material from members that are excellent writers, and who can make a strong contribution to the Front Page. It's what someone jonesin' for some reading material about the Rockets is looking for, which is exactly how I found this place over a decade ago. I was looking for something to read about the Rockets, some insight, something original, and not the recycled crap one finds on the sites that will remain unnamed, and sites like ESPN. Yeah, I'm loving it as well.

Great job, Mr. Fudge! Man, I hope Jones can keep playing the way he's been playing since getting his first start, and continues to improve. Now if only Donuts could keep from fouling out in 10 minutes, we might have our backup center, and a big 4 when we need it. ;-)-

(doesn't seem right that GBRocket only has 3 of those green thingies, does it!)

2 people like this.
  18. hizzobbes

hizzobbes Member

Great read... I'm still not 100% on going for Rondo though (I know, not the point of the article).

Lin said after their summer LA workout that Jones looked amazing and it's good to finally see that on the court in meaningful minutes. As Thorpe said, ranking Jones as the 5th best sophomore, he needs more time to prove consistency. If he keeps doing what he's doing, getting easy bunnies around the rim and taking high percentage shots like the corner three, I see no reason for him to fall off. I also love seeing him able to work the screens and dribble himself right down the middle of the paint for the floater or dunk.

I'm sure we all noticed how much our team blocks went up when he entered the starting lineup, too. He has shown that he can bring defensive value as well as offensive.

In short, I'm totally fine sticking with what we've got now and seeing how things grow together. Jones has given us more ability to hang on to Asik for as long as we want to. This gives Morey the time to work his magic and get the best return value possible.

19. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Outstanding info. A lot of great analysis in there!

Just to add some numbers... in the 7 games that Jones has started, the Rockets have outscored opponents by 54 points in the 1st quarter alone! That's huge. That means at the end of the 1st quarter so far the Rockets have averaged a 7.7 point lead with Jones as the starter.

Although the numbers are not as staggering, in the 3rd quarter the Rockets are outscoring the opponent by 26 points or an average of 3.7 points. In the 1st and 3rd quarters combined the Rockets are outscoring opponents by 11.4 points. That is a huge advantage and a huge hill opposing teams have to climb to try and stay in games.

By comparison, the Rockets were outscored in the 1st quarter over 8 games while starting Asik by 21 points or for a 1st quarter deficit of 2.6 points.

The difference between Asik and Jones in the 1st quarter is about 10.5 points per game :eek:

I hope Jones can keep it up. If so we do not need another power forward.

#19 crash5179, Nov 27, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2013
  20. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It will be interesting to see if Jones can maintain this level for an extended period.

He's always shown flashes but then would revert to literally a D-league player. Let's see what happens.