1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Abbott and Hollinger on prevalence of retread role players

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Carl Herrera, Dec 22, 2011.

1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/34428/truehoop-tv-john-hollinger-on-roster-cuts

I thought this discussion was interesting. The Miami Heat (and other teams) love their veteran role players ( like Juwan Howard) when it is probably smarter for them to take a look at some young athletic guys like those currently playing in Europe or the DLeague who would fit better with their athletic "big 3". Funny that Pat Riley was the same guy that plucked John Starks and Anthony Mason out of obscurity. Has he gone conservative in his old age?

2. meh

meh Contributing Member

Given that this is a trend shared by just about all contending teams, I think there's more to it than meets the eye. Even the Spurs just kept recycling retreads again and again during the primes of Duncan/Manu/Parker. I think familiarity and experience may matter more than actual talent here.

Young guys are so hit and miss. How many Jordan Farmers, Luke Waltons, Vuvejecs, etc. do you have to cycle through to get a Trevor Ariza? I think if the NBA had a farm system that actually features talent(like AAA in baseball) things would probably work better.

3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Hollinger looks obnoxious with this hat.
    He's right though.

4. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

(Yes a possibly apologetic/complimentary comment about the Rockets out of that).

Rockets at least have SOME kind of methodology in finding the "31 through 500" players. Moneyball, whatever you want to call it, they're giving unknowns and unfamilar names chances to prove themselves.

I believe that was PARTLY a reason going from Adelman to McHale. That McHale would be a little bit more open to going with their method of working with talent they acquire (more T-Will and Thabeet "development").