1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Royce White surprises radio station with call, says plan is to join D-League on Feb 11 (UPDATE)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jan 23, 2013.

1. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Royce White surprised 97.9 the Box this morning with a call-in. It's a good interview. He was definitely unplugged... no filter here:

http://theboxhouston.com/9075216/ex...ite-talks-suspension-anxiety-disorder-listen/

<script src="http://player.ooyala.com/player.js?embedCode=FkaGxuODrdikCBxQf9CWLSwDP-adwbxa&width=480&height=45&wmode=transparent"></script>

White was asked how long he could continue to do this, and he said: "We're in the 12th hour of it being over, actually."

"When I say we're in the 12th hour, I mean that we're literally in the 12th hour. I think any hour now, this whole thing will be over and I'm supposed to be returning to the D-League on February 11th. That was the plan. We'll see if it finally goes through, but the last thing I heard is that that's what we're going to do, that's what we're planning to do. We're just waiting for everybody to get the right paperwork done and stuff like that."

Interesting comparison between how Coach Fred Hoiberg is the authority at Iowa State, and he could say yes to something and that was that. In the NBA, it's much different. Obviously the dynamics are different.

"Coach McHale doesn't run this team. Despite what people think, he has very little control over this team. From a basketball point, he runs it, but from a business level and from an operational level, he has very little say. He's almost a co-worker of mine rather than an advisor or a managerial type of position. That's one of the big issues here."

(Props to danoman for the heads up on this interview. Sorry for the new thread, but I think this is very interesting and would get lost buried in another Royce thread.)

1 person likes this.
  2. GreenLantern

GreenLantern Member

Hope this ends positively!!! He is an exceptional player.

1 person likes this.
  3. SC1211

SC1211 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Great! I still have hopes that Royce can be a contributor.

4. BigBird

BigBird Contributing Member

I wonder what happened...did the Rockets threaten legal action or contract termination and pretty much tell him and his associates that they had every legal ground to do so? After the leaking of the letter from Morey and everything that has gone on could this be the case? Or have the Rockets agreed to a revised portion of the #protocol?

I think it is probably the latter, but I'll be interested to see the terms of his return, if they are revealed. Hopefully his return becomes a reality or this will be just another issue in the continuing saga of Royce White.

5. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Another noob making White thread! :)

Seriously though, interesting news. I wonder if they really will get him back playing this soon. I mean, we heard news of progress before White refused the DLeague assignment. So who knows if this will come through.

Also, I wonder if the recent string of ESPN/HBO/radio interviews reflects that White is in a better place mentally than before when he was actually quite paranoid about the media and was using twitter as his sole mean of communication.

6. fogo18182028

fogo18182028 Member

Meh he's still a bust

7. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Heard Morey ordered some new stickers for their bus.

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  8. teebone21

teebone21 Member

I am still waiting to see what makes him so special, he can shoot, rebound, play in post all i see is fancy passes. I hope this headache was worth it for the rockets

9. roxallways

roxallways Member
    Supporting Member

I'll believe it when I see it. I've been saying it's time to move on from this guy. More trouble than he's worth. I don't care how "talented" he is, with his fragile psyche, he is always going to be a liability and not dependable.

10. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

Dude's a grade A moron. But if he man's up and becomes a productive NBA player who plays really well for us, I couldn't care any less. I'll sing his praises every single game if he eventually helps the Rockets become a contender.

11. topfive

topfive CF OG

Good. Now let's see if he was worth all this trouble.

1 person likes this.
  12. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

I knew this would pop up here pretty soon. It was hilarious that the woman that called in just before Royce was going on about how he doesn't speak out to local media.

And, this was my first time hearing him speak out about his issues. I've read some tweets and info here but haven't watched any of his interviews. That being said, he comes off very sincere, imo. He's passionate about this. It's not like some low life punk trying to work the system for a free check. Sure, it would be nice if he could make some concessions but I feel better about everything after hearing him speak. So, even if he's wrong it's for the right reasons, if that makes any sense.

1 person likes this.
  13. RickyNewport

RickyNewport Member

Well, let's see how it pans out because he would probably be the best point guard on the roaster :)

14. NL Rocket

NL Rocket Member

I don't want to be negative but again he says people want to make it out to be Royce White vs. Rockets. He should start taking responsibility with his tweets where he actually uses Morey's name, something he avoids to talk about here. He has a big mouth on twitter but in interviews explains what is really the issue and sounds logical and calm. Not so much through his twitter.

15. JJ23

JJ23 Rookie

Oh my...the drama continues....thx clutch

16. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Royce White said more in this one interview than he has in 5 billion tweets and re-tweets.

I don't understand why it took so long. If he had just came out like this 2 or 3 months ago, things would be very different, including how his fans and supporters view this whole mess. He was responsible for a lot of the confusion that took place and that accounted for a lot of the hate he received.

1 person likes this.
  17. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

Until I see him on the court, I'm going to assume this is some kind of bait and switch ploy.

1 person likes this.
  18. KevinG1015

KevinG1015 Member

SWEET! I hope this saga does indeed end and that Royce will finally start to play. He has an amazing upside and I could really see him being useful for us.

19. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

even with all the drama I still want to see him play.

20. Raven

Raven Member

Like a window into his brain, and what it shows does not look promising.

1 person likes this.