1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Woj] For Jeremy Lin, a jagged journey back to Houston gives him reason to trust again

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by gah, Nov 14, 2012.

1. gah

gah Member

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--after-disappointing-breakup-with-knicks--jeremy-lin-building-a-better-relationship-with-rockets-14461809.html

2. tzou88

tzou88 Member

Makes it sound like a soap opera.

3. stylus8088

stylus8088 Member

Great read from Woj, as always. Again, another reality check for the hardcore fans - Lin is still learning. He's so young and inexperienced that mistakes are expected.

He's still a work in progress but at least in Houston, he can learn his own way.

4. Karolik

Karolik Member

WOJ's articles are always so dramatic. Makes it more interesting I guess.

5. zdrav

zdrav Member

It's encouraging to read that Lin believes the Rockets' coaching staff to have his back.

6. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

Lin needs to get back to running at the rim...this is where he will find his confidence

stop passing the ball around the three point line!

7. jaedenky

jaedenky Member

Jeremy Lin is the modern day Jackie Robinson, he's been underrated, hated on, called racial slurs, spit on, physically intimidated, assaulted, insulted, betrayed by his own team, fans and media. Guys like SAS have made it their personal mission to destroy his character.

Don't trust them Jeremy because quite frankly these brutes are not civilized or honorable human beings. They only see the shape of your eyes, the color of your skin, they see an enemy not a person.

There will come a day when Asian athletes will not be discriminated against in the NBA, but today is not that day. Jeremy Lin is a paving the way for others, he's bearing the cross just like Jackie Robinson did. Thank you for your contribution Jeremy, it takes incredible strength of character to overcome such discrimination, racism and hatred. You do it with class. I commend you brother.

8. cdain3

cdain3 Member

Don't ever compare Jeremy Lin to Jackie Robinson. Makes you sound idiotic.

9. Second_Cousin

Second_Cousin Member

Coaches are marginalizing his talents, hiding him in the corner, and he is too nice to say anything about it, proclaiming McHale cares about him. Don't buy it. And Jeremy is being naive once again. Would anyone be surprised to see a story someday about Lin on ESPN's 30 for 30, and his time in Houston being his downfall?

1 person likes this.
  10. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Wow. I didn't realize Lin grew up during segregation. I didn't know he fought for this country in a segregated unit. I guess Lin must be getting a lot of death threats as well. Hopefully he wins the MVP and Becomes a hall of famer.

11. Postcall

Postcall Member

Please stop baiting people.:(

12. Coban Hutton

Coban Hutton Member

Overly dramatic article. The Knicks treated him like garbage, ingrates that they are -- but Melo's inarticulate statements to the press are always blown out of proportion. JR Smith is a moron, so who cares what he says. Woodson is a good coach and used Lin cleverly, but maybe his style is more abrasive and critical than MDA who is hands-off. Idiots like JR need that, I guess, or he'd be tweeting dick pics like Anthony Weiner.

Anyway, I'm surprised Lin trusts Houston, where everyone is treated like an asset. Though Morey usually does well by his players in trades.

13. tie22fighter

tie22fighter Contributing Member

I am sorry. But there is no way he will be happy to camp in the corner and be the spot up shooter.

Not saying it is a wrong decision. Coach has a legit reason to have Harden as both the initiator and the finisher.

With D'Antoni, Jeremy is both the initiator and (in many times) the finisher.

With Woodson, Jeremy is the initiator and Carmelo is the finisher.

But with our coaches, with the exception of the first 2 to 3 games, he is neither.

He wants opportunity to learn, he got less chance here.

The main part of this article is probably done before the last few games.

14. torocan

torocan Member

Lin is Not Jackie Robinson.

Robinson had impacts that went well beyond the racial integration of a single baseball player. He had more far reaching social impacts in the racial discourse of America.

However, Jeremy Lin by defacto has become a torch bearer for Asian Americans, that in some ways follows the finest traditions established by Jackie Robinson.

As one of the pioneers, he has endured racial slurs, and arguably racial profiling to some degree or another.

I refer you to this Article from long before Linsanity became a household name...

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1953708,00.html

No, Jeremy Lin is NOT Jackie Robinson. However, I would argue that he is attempting to follow the example of pioneers like Jackie Robinson.

Just because he stands on the shoulders of giants, does not mean he does not carry his own burdens.

1 person likes this.
  15. makman

makman Member

Modern day Jackie Robinson is just a beyond idiotic statement. It's a cutthroat business and he of all people should understand that after being waived 3 times prior to Linsanity. He'll have $25 mill after 3 years with a starting job in a diverse, understanding city. No pity here, time for him to play up to that.

16. zdrav

zdrav Member

Obviously, Jaedensky was using hyperbole, but the seed of his claim is true: Jeremy Lin's story is one of racial discrimination.

Lin himself has not been shy about talking about this, which I commend him for.

Or is he just a race-baiter? :rolleyes:

17. stl1622dc

stl1622dc Member

And next time on As the Lin Turns(over)...

Will Lin rise from the ashes of that embarrassing air ball?
    How will he react when he sees his Ex-coach w/ another team?
    What does his arch-enemy, JR, have planned for him next week?

All this and more on next week's episode.

Brought to you by the WOJ.

18. meh

meh Contributing Member

Jaedenky seems to be a troll account of a regular here. There's no way anyone would compare Lin to Jackie Robinson without purposely trying to get a rise out of people.

19. dchoye

dchoye Member

Awful article in my opinion
    Too over dramatic
    This was purely business decision by upper management
    Coach Woodsen and Knicks team would have negotiated and have Lin the first Knick resigned in the offseason if they could do it
    Lin still needs to play better to have all the Rockets fans warm up to him

NY fans still luv Lin
    I sure he's going to get cheers pregame when Rockets play Knicks at MSG

20. Solidz75

Solidz75 Rookie

While Jeremy talks about his race being part of the whole disrespect, he continues to play the stereotype and wants to be a docile, quiet Asian boy, while it is apparent to the rest of the fan base that the coaching staff is not playing to his strengths.
    Well if that is what Jeremy wants as this article points out, then so be it. If he is just content to be the role player and shy away from asserting himself then I'm not gonna defend him anymore. Quite disappointed in his statements but maybe it just isn't part of his genetic make up.