1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Watching a person take their last breath

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by VooDooPope, Aug 30, 2005.

Tags:
  1. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

I've had a number of people close to me die before but never have I held a persons hand while they took their final breath on this earth.

Yesterday my father in law ended his 3 month battle with cancer. He died peacefully at home with his wife, my wife, his son & his wife and myself there by his side. As he was taking his final breath he gripped my hand and looked me straight in the eye. I will never forget that look. What a gripping experience. It left me numb.

Sunday evening was his last time he was able to communicate. He scratched out some notes and we all said our goodbye's. We all told him not to worry that we would all be there for him and for each other in the future. He nodded that he understood and closed his eyes.

Cancer is a tough way to go. Give family some love and tell those around you what they have meant to your life while you have the chance.

2. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

i had a similar experience with my grandmom, voodoo. back when i was in high school.

your family is in my prayers.

3. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

Can I ask where did he live?

4. Isabel

Isabel Member

I've never been that close to a life and death situation... I can't imagine. At least he had people there for him.

Thoughts and prayers for you and your wife and family...

5. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

Thanks for the prayers.

Clearlake. Did you know him? If I recall you also live in Clearlake.

#5 VooDooPope, Aug 30, 2005
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2005
  6. MR. MEOWGI

Very much so. I'm the goofy guy next door that grew up best friends with his son.

It is a small world. I know who you are. I never imagined I would find out this way and I am very sorry to hear. I am glad to hear his family was there for him.

I will let others know who do not. My family and neighbors have been asking about him.

I guess we will formally meet soon. :(

7. tim562

tim562 Contributing Member

I've had two expierenes similiar - my uncle and grandfather just recently. It is very tough. I have to live in the house that my grandfather passed in. It makes it even tougher. I feel your pain. Its tough to watch someone go from weighing 230lbs to 90 lbs and all the symptoms that go with it. Hang in there, you'll be allright. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family VooDooPope.

+

8. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

Wow. Small world.

Please let them know he is no longer suffering and his family was there for him until the end.

9. MR. MEOWGI

will do.

10. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

My toughts are with you.

i once experienced the last breath of a person pretty close to me.

11. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

Rest peacefully.....

12. MartianMan

MartianMan Contributing Member

My condolences.

On a sidenote, I've known a couple of people who have died in a hospital and they usually say a couple of things before they die. Is it just me or do they know that they have just taken their last breath? It's kinda weird how they always seem to know that it's their last breath.

13. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

Certainly not anywhere near the same level but I went and put down my wife's cat. If a person is passing you obviously know it will be emotional. For me, I figured I would go into the vet, handle my business and leave. Because the cat was trying to get off the table, I had to hold him while the vet did the injection. I could barely get home I was so distraught. I was caught incredibly off guard by watching our pet take his last breath. I'm glad I was by myself so nobody had to see me. :( I wasn't very manly. It is very sad just to see your pet of 11 years take his last breath.

I've been around when my grandparents passed from cancer but I was not in the room at THE time.

My heart goes out to you and your family.

14. TMac640

TMac640 Contributing Member

that's one hell of a way for a family to watch a loved one die , watching someone take their last breath right in front of you

stay strong man

R.I.P +

15. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

i've been in that situation before voodoo. can definitely relate. not only that, i was the one who signed the papers to "let him go". :(

16. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I'm sorry for you and your family's loss. I couldn't imagine holding hands watching a loved one go out like that. That must have been real hard on you; hang in there. Another sad note to add today...my parents put down the family dog of 11+ years today in person. My Mom tried to leave as she couldn't handle it but the dog whimpered when she left so she had to come back and be there with my Dad. I've never experienced loss like that up close and personal. I imagine that day will come and it will be the saddest.

My condolences to you and your family. I wonder if I know you as I know MEOWGI and grew up in CL?

:(

17. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

My condolences to you and your family. You should feel somewhat relieved that your father-in-law had all the loved ones by his side during the last moment of his life.

18. Sishir Chang

Sishir Chang Contributing Member

Wow that's very moving. I hope you and your family are holding up.

Yeah cancer is an awful way to go but at least he died in peace with his family around him.

19. bigboymumu

bigboymumu Member

I too have experienced that with my uncle who I considered my best friend. My prayers go out to you and your family.

20. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

Thanks to everyone for the kind thougts and prayers.

I'm exhausted and numb still.

Surfguy - I went to Katy but my wife and brother in law went to clearlake and come to find out, lived next door to Mr. MEOWGI.