1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

STOCK MARKET: Let's talk stocks and investing

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by SWTsig, Jun 2, 2008.

1. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

that's what i'm doing. added to my S&P fund position today.

2. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

Actually, I take that back. Looked at Vanguard's 2050 retirement fund and the fees are a lot lower than I thought.

https://personal.vanguard.com/us/funds/snapshot?FundId=0699&FundIntExt=INT

In response to your question in rep; by fees I mean the fund's expense ratio, which is a annual fee they take off your invested capital. For example, the fund I linked above has a .18% annual fee, which is great considering their S&P index fund is only .17%.

3. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

It's days like this that I wish I still worked at the broker I used to work at. I started a new job recently, so I don't get to follow the market that closely. Well, I can, but I don't. Not yet anyway. lol. I couldn't believe what I was listening to in the pre-market and then when I got home I find there was around a 1000 point drop followed by something like a 900 point run back up (?) Jesus.

Anybody buying after-hours?

4. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I didn't buy at the end of day or after hours but things got kind of pukey.

The only "mistake" I made today was giving up on my multiple attempts to short the market at highs of the day. It was pretty nuts today I made a good bit on some of these thinly traded etfs like JKG and some other stuff I can't recall right now. This one guy I used to trade with made 16 mil or so today. I can't complain about my day but man. I'd lie if I said I wasn't a little disappointed because **** like this doesn't come around often and blah blah blah Anyhow...I'm getting drunk on Monday and more trading tomorrow.

5. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

Ugh, my Vanguard IRA I opened up 4 months ago has gone to crap since I dumped it all into an index fund.

I need to buy more index funds now that they're low. A newb question but I can purchase more index funds outside of an IRA, right? Also, what are the current projections? Do experts think stocks will continue to go down and I wait to buy or should I buy now?

6. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

What made you think that the market would continue to go down? Couldn't the highs of the day be perceived as the beginning of an upward trend? Sorry if this is newie-bish

7. Hustle Town

Hustle Town Contributing Member

8. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I wouldn't worry about the decline - it's an IRA, you probably won't be using it for a few decades at least. The fund will recover and then some by a large margin. The market may go up or down.

It you buy it is a gamble in the sense that the market could drop another 10% in the coming months. We've been riding a flat market for a while now and that usually is how a bull market ends. Economy is strong here but you take in consideration China, the oil glut, and European sluggishness, and uncertainly with interest rates, and the fact that stocks have been priced very high - and it's possible that things could drop further.

You put 5k into your ira and buy more stocks and they recover back to pre-bear prices, and you could make 10% or so on your money - or about $500. Ask yourself if that is worth the risk if the market declines another 10%. If you are holding on to it for decades, then that mitigates the risk.

9. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I made all my money yesterday buying stuff.

10. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Contributing Member

what an ugly last hour. fade to previous day's close.. I was thinking that the market would get to 1955 before it had trouble not 1940 and change on the spx.

11. benchmoochie

how were you alerted to the lower liquidity benchmark etf ? Is that something you normally follow? Or is that one of your scanners?

12. benchmoochie

I think the market will test Monday's low on tomorrow, Wednesday. If it goes under it then next stop is that 1820area on spx. then 1773, 1745, 1657 and some odd points in between. what a fade.

13. crossover

crossover Contributing Member

Sucker's rally. Pay attention to how markets close in the last hour or two.

If you are long-term investing, wait until confidence in the markets are clear. Don't try to time the first big bounce.

14. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I was just looking at my market sorters (it shows the winners and losers on the day) and I was watching my stock screening software. Once I saw a few of those etfs ****ing up I started looking for more. I was also talking with one of my trader friends who saw stuff too.

15. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Yup I had a few people get a hold of me yesterday saying they wanted to buy. I let them know to wait and under no circumstances should they buy on the open today. I hope they listened lol.

16. orbb

orbb Contributing Member

if you are not a professional trader, you really should be on the sidelines, like last week. A handful more pros are going to lose their shirts before this is over

17. Win

Win Contributing Member

I have a small 401k with Fidelity (less than $5000) half in large caps (down 9.17%) and half in a mid cap fund (down 12.88%) this year, mostly if not all in the last 2 days. Would you guru's recommend switching to lower risk funds at this time or riding it out? They were good performers in the past 5 years. I ask because I rode it out in the .com blow-up instead of just taking a smaller loss and switching to something safer thinking I would get my money back and that never really happened. Don't want to make the same mistake. Forgive if I'm using the wrong terminology. I'm the furthest thing from an expert, just know something about history.

18. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

Just leave it as is, by years end you'll be up 10-20%

19. paulnhbtx

paulnhbtx Member

how do you all feel at CJES trading around 5.25 last year was at 31.53 I am thinking of dumping a grip waiting for a .70 swing then sell off to make about 7K

20. s land balla

s land balla Contributing Member

UVXY has been in beast mode. From $24.97/share on August 18th to $91.25/share today.