1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why People Oppose GMOs Even Though Science Says they're Safe

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by rocketsjudoka, Aug 20, 2015.

1. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

Everything, even organic produce has been genetically modified. The original avocado tasted bitter and barely had any of the delicious fleshy fatty consistency people pay a buck extra for in their burger and sandwiches nowadays. Similarly for a banana. The tasty fruit in it's original state barely had any fruit and tasted extremely bitter with it's easily peelable layer in a rougher exterior bark state. You can go down a list for every single fruit and vegetable and base it on selective breeding.

Here's what I've never quite understood when it comes to people that oppose genetic modification/selective breeding or don't believe in evolution. Look at your very own domesticated dog.

Even those cute little tea cup dogs that could briefly catch flight from a good gust of wind are descendants of wolves. You have to differentiate why a cute bug eyed pug with a short pig snout is related somehow to an Alaskan Malamute as they're different subsections of the same descendant. Selective breeding. Human's thousands of years ago saw the value in domesticating wolves. Feral animals can't be domesticated but you can breed the aggressive unpredictable feral nature out of a wolf if you find the two tamest personality wolves and breed them, pick the tamest personality wolves from the 1st generation litter and pair them with another 1st generation litter, then repeat the process over and over again.

After many generations of breeding the most passive wolves, we now have domesticated dogs. But it doesn't stop there. Dog breeders then realized you could give a dog a specific working class purpose that it excels at. So you have your herding dogs, who have a high prey drive but have had the killing instinct bred out of them. So you got a dog that stalks sheep just like a wolf but instead of killing it, it's been bred to nip hard at a sheep's hooves and control a herd. Then you got your smaller breed of working class dogs like a Mini Schnauzer who was bred to kill mice and vermin around the farmhouse that a German Shepherd Dog wouldn't excel at.

Then you got your dogs whose sole breeding purpose was to be cute and social. Dogs like the Bichon, Pug and other toy breeds fall in line with this. All that's human made evolution over the course of thousands of years with documented evidence of success. I guess my point is we **** with nature all the time, be it in our diet, our preferred type of animal social companion and in many other ways we don't even think about already.

1 person likes this.
  2. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Agree on both. That's exactly why I said earlier I'm for GMO and later, I said that's the type of GMO to push for.

3. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Gene mutation, modification, whatever you want to call it, is "normal" and also naturally occur. The differences is one occur in nature and one is human created. Nature is nature - you live within it and accept what it does. The one we control, we should keep a careful eye on it, especially when it's profit driven. We know that these changes will have consequences to the environment and other life forms, sometime quickly detected, while other takes a longer time-frame to see.

The current US regulations is very lax and favorable to GMO. It's more of trust and check for safety using standard protocols, but not much of any specific for GMO. Bio-diversity and safety, for example, is not a requirement at all. So far, so good, until one of these days...

4. brantonli24

brantonli24 Member

Hang on, those avocados, bananas, melons, all the fruit that we recognise today, they didn't come via nature. We breed them, over hundreds of years, to become that state. There was nothing natural about it, we just kept growing and growing them, throwing away the ones we don't want and keep the ones we do, until the perfect one (which has the right genetic mutations) is done.

5. apollo33

apollo33 Member

I have yet have anyone give me a solid scientific explanation why GMO is bad, but I have heard plenty of noise behind the anti-GMO movement.

All I have heard is that we don't truly know if they are bad for our health, but it just MIGHT be bad in a couple of decades??

the only logical thing is the bio-diversity issue, but that covers a very broad topic that relates to modern agriculture in general not just GMO in particular.

weird issue, I remember there was this medium sized demonstration against GMO's around where I live, and no one could really give me a convincing reason of what they are demonstrating about. It seems like everyone there was just spouting off random stuff they heard from another guy and then going around screaming "say no to GMO"

6. val_modus

val_modus Member

You are correct about the bio-diversity issue.

Another issue that science literate folks have with GMOs is the transgenic movements of certain designer genes present in GMOs (like resistance to weed killers). There is evidence, although limited so far, to indicate that not only might the gene for resistance be transferring to weeds, but the plants themselves are requiring more of the chemicals like glyphosate (a weed killer also known as "roundup") to protect themselves. The accumulation of these chemicals in our food sources would be the real consequence (almost all our corn and soy products are "roundup ready".

So in essence, its the way the corporations like Monsanto are growing GMO crops and distributing them without any disclosure to the public that indeed they've had to increase glyphosate application by more than 10x over the past five years that is a concern to some people, not necessarily the GMOs themselves. Unfortunately, the incredible, possibly life altering invention of GMOs has fell under the umbrella of corporations looking to do nothing more than to cash in while their chips are hot.

-V-

7. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

It's the idea that natural is healthy. I have heard a ton of people say eating vegetarian is healthier than eating meat. It's all in what you eat. I can adhere to a strict vegetarian diet, eating Taco Bell, candy bars, and trix cereal but that doesn't mean I'm eating healthy. People have false assumptions about GMOs and don't look into the science of it. It's sad when 85% of scientists have a consensus on GMOs but only 35% of the population believes it. Heck, even Global Warming has better numbers than that... I think even the theory of evolution has better numbers than that.

8. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Yea, but that is still quite natural and work in a standard generation time frame. We didn't insert anything into the gene. We selectively breed and let nature takes it course. GMO is we altering the gene directly.

9. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

No it's not. Natural is healthy wouldn't be nature of this world. Nature is cruel and forgiven. We can't do anything about nature. But when we are not careful and insert ourselves in nature course, accelerating it, we can do much damages on a very fast time-frame.

The idea is, we know what is dangerous or not in nature because we have experience with it. We know every little what is dangerous or not in relatively new "unnatural" product until we have experience with it. The conservative and safe way, then is to lend toward what is known.

Also, your idea of eating at those places aren't much vegetarian or "natural is healthy" at all. People that are truly concern about "natural" probably have their own garden and rarely eat out, especially at fast food places.

10. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

Farms are not "natural". Ranches are not "natural". Selective breeding is not "natural". These are human constructions.

11. Pizza_Da_Hut

With GMOs you are altering one gene. That's it. With selective breeding, you don't know what genes are affected. What sounds scarier, a targeted approach or a shotgun one?

12. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

As you note though such selective breeding happened over a long time period with a lot of opportunity to understand it and also weed out things that went wrong. The issue though with GMO is that we can now make changes much faster and also across species. It is one thing to selectively breed tomatoes or even cross breed tomatoes with a related species like peppers but another to put a salmon gene into tomatoes. Given that we've only had a couple of decades with GMO we still don't fully understand how these new organisms affect the environment.

13. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

It's not that simple. We still don't fully understand how genes are expressed and the relationship between other cellular and environmental elements with regard to genetics. Further many traits are expressed across multiple genes so say for instance if you wanted to create blue eyed cows you couldn't just take a human gene for eye color and put it in a cow embryo and get a blue eyed cow.

My understanding, which I will admit is limited, is that there is a lot of trial and error with genetic engineering and that it isn't quite as precise or targeted as it might seem.

14. Remii

Remii Member

Most complaints and or worries seem to be more about the chemicals they use... I haven't heard much fuss about selective breeding with food.

15. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

I'm still trying to understand what people are afraid of when they think about eating a GMO. Your own DNA will not change. Any pesticides used have dissipated by the time it reaches the shelves. What's the potential threat to human consumption?

16. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Fear of the "unknown"...

17. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

By the way, if anyone wants to truly understand how much work goes into producing GMO's, you need to understand the relationship between modern science/healthcare and recombinant DNA.

To put it simply, this stuff forms the backbone of a tremendous amount of medical research and is widely accepted to be harmless when used in the correct context.

18. Pizza_Da_Hut

Check out RNAi. It essentially silences the RNA transcripts by terminating the mRNA produced. Potatoes are being incorporating an RNAi factor that mitigates their production of acrylamide. Acrylamide when fried can create carcinogens, so potatoes with this RNAi will be healthier to eat. Because RNAi is a targeted approach, it only affects production of a certain mRNA, and that's it. RNAi does not code for anything, so it can't create anything malicious. RNAi is also considered a GMO.

19. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

I agree it is very far fetched that eating GMO will have any harmful effects. If you read the original post that started this thread addresses some of the squeamishness.

20. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Again I will state I have a very limited understanding of this and am keeping an open mind about GMO.

I read through the Wikipedia entry on RNAi and it is very interesting and while you point out a success controlling and manipulating RNAi is still very new technology as RNAi wasn't even identified until the 1998. As far as the use of RNAi for genetic engineering for GMO and treatment the entry does note this:
    [rquoter]Despite the proliferation of promising cell culture studies for RNAi-based drugs, some concern has been raised regarding the safety of RNA interference, especially the potential for "off-target" effects in which a gene with a coincidentally similar sequence to the targeted gene is also repressed.[139] A computational genomics study estimated that the error rate of off-target interactions is about 10%.[7] One major study of liver disease in mice reported that 23 out of 49 distinct RNAi treatment protocols resulted in death.[140] Researchers hypothesized this alarmingly high rate to be the result of "oversaturation" of the dsRNA pathway,[141] due to the use of shRNAs that have to be processed in the nucleus and exported to the cytoplasm using an active mechanism. Such considerations are under active investigation, to reduce their impact in the potential therapeutic applications.[/rquoter]

Also RNAi isn't the only mechanism for suppressing, or enabling, gene expression and how genes are expressed is still not completely understood.

Also just because we understand how to suppress, or express, a particular genetic trait and are able to manipulate the genome of a particular organism that way still doesn't address how such a modified organism will effect the wider environment. Given the vast complexity of any environment introducing essentially a new species may have repercussions beyond just what economic benefit that is being aimed for.