1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Harden vs Hakeem on OFFENSE

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by omgTHEpotential, Aug 3, 2015.

?

Is Harden a better offensive weapon than Hakeem?

1. Yes

35 vote(s)
    20.2%
  2. No

138 vote(s)
    79.8%
  1. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

I think Harden is better than Hakeem on defense

2. Nimo

Nimo Member

Harden is more efficient, Hakeem was more dominant.

3. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Harden is better than Jordan look at that TS%. Harden for GOAT.

4. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Hakeem never got outplayed by a Center in any series, until in Shaq in 1999.

Please show us. And while you're looking that up,,,I'll toss this out there

• Hakeem is #1 in increase in PPG between playoffs and regular of any player ever (retired) with >20ppg average (it might be out of everyone, but too hard to look up)
    • Hakeem is #6 leading scorer (ppg) in Playoff history (retired)
    • Hakeem is #1 in playoff blocks / game at 3.3 (active or retired)
    • He holds the record for most points in a 4 game playoff series with 4 games. 37.5ppg.

Further, when we lost 4 yrs in a row in the first round, Akeem already destroyed Magic and Kareem four games in a row in 1986 to go the Finals as a 2nd yr player. Secondly, that team was decimated by 3 guys getting kicked out of the league for drugs and Sampson getting injured. The Rockets were left with nothing for Akeem, and he still scored 37.5 ppg in a 4 game series loss to set the NBA record.

#24 heypartner, Aug 3, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  5. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Until Harden makes the leap to become unstoppable for a period of time, Hakeem is light years ahead. There was nothing that worked against Hakeem because he never really got tired unless it was in Denver or during Ramadan. Harden only needs to get into super human shape to make that happen, but he's def capable.

I've wanted him to start boxing training to help get his metabolism up. If he can box and play a basketball game in the same day, he's there. And before you call that ridiculous, see Roy Jones Jr. as the example.

6. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Pretty much this.

Also consider, nowadays the league is designed for wing players to dominate offensively. Harden (or any wing) wouldn't match their current production in the 90's.

See above response

7. don grahamleone

HeyP, what is that 2nd stat supposed to be? I am super curious. Also, it's amazing how good Hakeem was when you really look into it. The only center or player that I think could come close is Bill Russell. That dude was a competitor and my big-man playoff battle studies have led me to not being able to make a statistical argument that either are better than one another. When healthy, these two DOMINATED the league.

And YaoMing#1, Hakeem was 36 years old when he got beat by Shaq. When those two faced each other in their primes, we know who won. Shaq will tell you, anyone that knows the game will tell you, Hakeem > Shaq.

(Bill Russell retired before he got too old, but he averaged 15.1 points and 22.5 rebounds in the regular season. He went 16.2 and 24.9 in the playoffs. That includes 29 of his 165 playoffs games against the beast Wilt Chamberlain.)

#27 don grahamleone, Aug 3, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2015
  8. photojoe

photojoe Member

I really agree with this.

Hakeem was an amazing, amazing player. I remember watching him and being amazing at what he could do and just the way that he could move. He was so fluid. I really like the way Shaq said it-

Even now, so many years later, I am amazed whenever I see a highlight of Hakeem operating in the post. He had so many moves. And so many counter moves. And so many counters to his counters. He was so fluid with the ball.

But you can't discredit Harden. Harden is also an amazing offensive player. He has gotten better every year that we have had him. There were times, multiple times, this past season that I had the similar feeling of amazement of what Harden could do on offense as I did when I used to watch Hakeem. I really think it could be pretty close.

Obviously if we consider the other facets of the game then it is no longer even close. Hakeem is a better defender by far. He is a better rebounder. He effects the game in so many more ways than Harden does.

But if we solely limit it to the offensive side, I think it could be closer than what some people think.

9. MtthwPnngbtn

MtthwPnngbtn Member

I was still an infant when Hakeem was playing. So I never grew up watching him. Thus, I would choose James Harden's offensive game. Deadly J, quick step backs, draws the foul.

However, I do think that Hakeem's Dream shake is a lot more powerful than all Harden's move.

10. heypartner

Career Playoff PPG - Regular Season PPG = 26ppg - 22ppg

People like to talk about players who excel in the playoffs. Hakeem has the biggest jump in PPG between Reg Season and Playoffs (retired players) for player scoring >20 ppg. And it is even higher without that series he played for Toronto. I'll have to check players under 20 ppg. He might be all-time.

Also, he is 6th (not 7th) all-time PPG in the Playoffs. Rick Barry's ABA games don't count.

11. Yodels

Yodels Contributing Member

The regular season is putting wool over your eyes. I commented on this earlier. Game 5, 6, 7. 4th quarter. When it matters most. Harden, like most guards, couldn't carry the load when it matters most in the playoffs, multiple years. I believe he'll improve, but he is far away from being meat and potatoes as Clyde would often refer to Hakeem.

The better debate would be Clyde vs. Harden, or T-mac vs Harden.

1 person likes this.
  12. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

People forget that Hakeem was one of the BEST midrange shooters in the NBA during that time. I'm not talking big men, I'm talking ALL shooters.

13. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

And Hakeem is a devout Muslim. He did his thing during Ramadan. Can Harden even give partying much less food and water during the middle of the season?

14. thesaint

thesaint Member

I would give slight edge to Hakeem only because he dominated offensively against other great centers who were also great defenders. His versatility at his position was unmatched.

15. MtthwPnngbtn

MtthwPnngbtn Member

I am not blinded by the regular season. Like I said, I was not lucky enough to grow up and watch Hakeem. I envy you however cause you must have. But I respect the man. He brought championships to Houston and as I stated earlier. His dream shake is amazing.

As for now, it doesn't change my opinion on Harden. But I agree with you on the better debates.

Repped brother! :cool:

16. heypartner

Harden averaged 27.2 ppg in the playoffs this year in 17 games. That's impressive.

Hakeem as a career average of 26.6 ppg in 140 games as a Rocket.

And the mere fact he was a center who could beat double teams, his effect on open shots for role players is bigger.

17. don grahamleone

Jordan averaged 43.0 per game against the sixers in 1990. It went 5 games.

Jerry West averaged 46.3 ppg against Baltimore in 1965 over 6 games.

Shaq averaged 38.0 per game against the pacers in a 6 game finals series.

I think those are the only better point scoring performances that I could find. I checked Allen Iverson.. that dude was a baller in the playoffs, but he didn't raise his averages like Hakeem did. Hakeem loved the playoffs. That's where Horry learned to win.

Kareem got close in 1977. 37.1 ppg vs GSW over 7 games. IM.PRESS.IVE.

Side note: The greatest Tim Duncan ever did in a series was 29.0 ppg. HAHAHAHA and people try to say he was better than Hakeem.

18. TheMountainTop

This ain't even a question. Hakeem balled and put up monster numbers offensively and defensively. When Harden starts playing defense at the same intensity he plays offense then we can talk.

19. gumbleton3

gumbleton3 Member

One player struggles against J.J Reddick. Enough said.

20. Normalus

Normalus Member

Who "dahell" asked about his defense? Offensively James is better - range and ft's just about enough to beat Dream.