1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

RIP Cecil king of the jungle

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by VanityHalfBlack, Jul 29, 2015.

Tags:
  1. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

GREAT POST

2. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Well legal hunting usually involves raising funds for conservation.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/05/20/us/conservation-hunting-right-or-wrong/

...the idea that trophy hunting has shown no benefit whatever does not seem to be backed by research.

An article published in the University of Washington magazine Conservation -- quoting a 2005 paper from the Journal of International Wildlife -- reported that legalizing hunting of the white rhino in South Africa had motivated private landowners to reintroduce the species onto their lands.

"As a result, the country saw an increase in white rhinos from fewer than 100 individuals to more than 11,000, even while a limited number were killed as trophies," the article said.

And the Conservation article went on to evaluate Namibia's practice of auctioning permits to kill older, nonbreeding males.

"Namibia's own hunting policy, it turns out, is remarkably consistent with scientific recommendations," the article said.

3. wesnesked

wesnesked Contributing Member

What Lion?

4. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Is it legal now to hunt LOFs in the GARM, or do we have to lure them to the Dish, first?

5. marky :)

marky :) Member

You can only use your hands though. Gives them a fair chance since they are very stupid and easily killed.

6. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

Given that 95% of the species that have ever existed are extinct, we've all witnessed that planet.

7. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Stomping out bunnies is disgusting and killing animals with bare hands is an early sign of a sociopath.

8. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

BUT WHAT ABOUT CAT ON CAT CRIME???

[​IMG]
    Sincerely, LilTexxas

"The Rich American Guy blames the guide .. . it has to be truth . . . i mean, he's Rich and A'MURICAN!!. . . . . "
    Sincerely, LilTexxas

Typical

Rocket River

9. CCorn

CCorn Member

Bring back the musket.

10. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I fail to see your point, Commodore. Unlike past extinctions, there is an intelligent species behind the wheel on what we are witnessing today. We have the choice to preserve what is left, or to shrug and keep what's left in what will be essentially very large zoos.

I'm not against hunting, to be clear. I'm not against gun ownership. What I am against is sitting back and watching the wholesale destruction of what we have left. For every "feel good" story about a "success" with a species, we have countless killings of species that are shrinking in number, many shrinking to unsustainable numbers.

11. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Yeah we know ignorance is rampant in Africa. Americans destroyed the carrier pigeon too. They poison Lions everyday in Africa instead of finding better solutions. It's a third world country but the dentist should know better.

12. cwebbster

cwebbster Contributing Member

Babies have no chance when Liberals have abortion, it's pathetic.

13. Indaface

Indaface Member

What about young boys when it comes to Catholic Priests?

14. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

i'm all for hunting but big game hunters of these kinds of exotic animals just doesn't sit well with me. Find something else to overcompensate with.

15. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

I didn't know babies were shot with an arrow and then suffer for 40 hours before being tackled by a team of men and then shot and beheaded. How classless of you, to use one issue to to platform another issue you care about.

16. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

There's a reason that texx is always commenting about his private parts.

17. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Reminds me of the bearded twats who climb mountains. Dozens of sherpas killed dragging their asses up Everest. Twitter doesn't care about those humans with families though.

The fascination the internet has with cats is insane. Will never understand, I hate cats.

18. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Can't tell if serious, haha

19. Nook

Nook Member

So much ignorance in this thread.

Many times hunting exotic game actually helps protect the species. The money given is huge, and often times the meat is eaten by locals where it is given away for free. Also, the tourism infuses even more money into the economy. There are huge tracks of land that are guarded and protected with the money from the hunts. The species are often allowed to breed and only a portion of the animals are hunted, and the others are not.

That doesn't even take into consideration that the locals often kill the animals because they are dangerous... so keeping them in preserves/hunting areas saves them ultimately.

All these morons saying that you should only hunt animals that you can kill with your bare hands are cute. I am assuming that none of you eat meat then. You certainly never eat beef or pig.... as you almost certainly cannot kill them with your bare hands.

You may not like the "idea" of hunting lions or other majestic animals, but if it is done properly and legally, it helps conservation.

I also find it odd that there is outrage for "Cecil" and no outrage for all the people in Africa starving to death or being killed.

It is the new fake outrage..... I am angry about Cecil so I am a good person.

Whatever..

20. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

In local news here in Minnesota they are reporting that Dr. Palmer has sent messages to his patients telling them they should find a new dentist. Meanwhile US Fish and Wildlife services are seeking to talk to him to see if he evaded US laws regarding trafficking in endangered species.