1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Red Sox @ Astros

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Jul 21, 2015.

1. The Stig

The Stig Member

Went to the game yesterday. What in the F is up with all these Red Sox fans in attendance? Almost felt like we were playing in a neutral venue.

2. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Yeah, they were particularly vocal for some reason yesterday.... imagine if they were actually good?

Anyways, Houston has all sorts of fans living here now and they're going to all come to games where their teams only play here once a year.

Only thing you can hope for is that the Astros continue to play at a high level... then the people will most definitely come.

3. DaChamp

DaChamp Member

Back when the 'stros were in the National League, I went to plenty of games versus the Cubs and Cardinals at Minute Maid Park where I felt I was in the other team's park. Cardinals fans used to outdraw the Astros fans, sometimes substantially.

4. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

No they didn't.

5. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

No....

That never happened. LOL

6. Poloshirtbandit

It's not limited to Red Sox. It was the same way whenever the Cubs were in town during the 2000s. When the Giants were in town earlier this year I felt like the only Astro fan in the stadium.

7. DaChamp

DaChamp Member

oh yeah, you're right, you know everything.

8. Poloshirtbandit

It felt that way to me. I was surrounded by Cards fans in one of the nlcs games in 2005.

9. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Certainly there are a ton of Cardinals fans everywhere.... like Cubs, Steelers, and even Cowgirls fans... but they never "outdraw" another team's fans at their stadium, no matter how good or bad they are.

Despite published reports, the Texans and 49ers fans didn't "outdraw" the Cowboys fans at their games in Arlington this year.... but there were certainly enough there to make a difference.

10. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

You must have been the only Astros fan for those NLCS games then... thanks for being loud enough to cause LaRussa to complain about the roof!

11. DaChamp

DaChamp Member

Maybe you didn't go to any games in 2012. I went to a Cardinals game (may have been the last game of the year at Minute Maid) where the "paid" attendance was 12,000, but there were only about 8000 people there. And I can guarantee you there were many more Cardinals fans.

12. texanskan

texanskan Contributing Member

Yeah it is bad sometimes at Astros games. Hopefully we will fill the stadium most nights and the few thousand fans from other team are drowned out.

13. tws011

tws011 Member

Actually they did.

14. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

How the hell are you going to guarantee that?

And yes, even in 2012, the Astros fans were not being "outdrawn". And certainly not for LCS games like the poster above claims.

15. The Stig

The Stig Member

Huh. Interesting. I was only a kid when I went back in the early 2000s so I wouldn't remember.

Best thing is to maintain the up the high level of play and those "away" fans will swap their shirts for Astros shirt. Given how young the team is, I'd say we may have a chance.

16. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

Well, it's Wins Above Replacement, so the "replacement level player" standard might have dropped since his injury.

17. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

The Giants and Rangers fans that have popped up are most certainly bandwagon fans. But most of the Red Sox fans that show up legit fans of the Red Sox, they play well nationally. It seems like there are more these days because the Astros fans aren't filling the stands. The Cubs, Cards and Braves used to be well represented as well.

You can't stop them from attending, Houston is a transplant city that has a large population with non Houston ties. Having said that in 04-05 when they team was contending opposing fans most certainly never took over MMP. They were there, but the stadium was 90-95% Astro fans and we had the loudest stadium in baseball during the pennant chase.

18. boozle222

boozle222 Contributing Member

But almost a full game in a matter of a day? And that's the case for most of the lineup too. Just odd.

19. DaChamp

DaChamp Member

Nope, you're wrong.

20. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

Oh I didn't realize it happened over a day. I thought you meant since Springer got injured. Yeah, that is weird.