1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron] Chuck Hayes close to signing with Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Cashmoney, Jul 21, 2015.

1. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

For real

I question the intelligence of anyone who blames playoff failures during the Yao years on Chuck.

Your team isn't going to get far when your two stars are injured half the time....regardless of who else is on that roster.

For those who are poopooing this, you either don't understand the concept of "end of bench veteran leadership" or you just aren't very smart. Chuck will more than likely not get many minutes at all, about like Dorsey...but I guarantee you I would rather have Chuck eating up the garbage time minutes Dorsey used to get, at least I know he will play the right way and make no stupid mistakes.

2. finsraider

finsraider Member

I might be coming around to him a little. One of our big problems against the Clippers was Griffin manhandling TJones and Smith on the block. The same would've happened if we played Portland.

With LMA in our division and the Clippers a possible playoff opponent, we need someone that can't be moved in the post (other than Dwight). Plus, it's not that big a deal that he can't shoot if you put both Harden and Lawson out there with him.

I am a little dubious about Terry's role, however. We've added 3 shooters to this team since the playoffs: Beverley (back from injury), Lawson, and Thornton. I know the adage "you can never have enough shooters", but in the Rockets case I think we need them more at the 3&4 spots than at guard. He's apparently a great locker room guy, and maybe we need that to manage all these players/egos.

3. Jpripper88

Jpripper88 Member

Kendrick Perkins would have made a heck of a lot more sense IMO, but he is headed to New Orleans.

4. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Harden definitely prefers Perkins but they got him Lawson so now Morey wants to make the rest of the decisions solo lol

5. mkahanek

mkahanek Member

In Hayes, Out Dorsey. I have no problem with this. If Hayes is getting major minutes this year then we have bigger issues. But, if there are major minutes. Do you want those minutes going to Hayes. Or DORSEY. If you answer Dorsey. Then there isn't much point in talking.

6. seeingred

seeingred Member

Modesto Mauler - bring him back. Doubt we'll see any of his high post passing to backdoor cutters (think that was an Adelman thing) but he excels against face-up 4's which is the new fad. Quick hands/feet means he will be a problem from Blake Griffin, Smiff. Pure back to the basket big men gave him trouble - Big Al, Zbo, Gasol but how many of those are left in the NBA ?

He seems like the coaching type so why not kick off his career as a player-coach for our stable of young bigs ? McHale and Hakeem teach post moves, Hayes teaches the Anthony Mason shuffle.

7. seeingred

seeingred Member

to clarify, never saw him give ground to these guys - they were forced to settle for post shots from wherever they caught the pass. But if they were hot, they could hit a few jumpers over him.

8. Nook

Nook Member

This.

When DMO and Jones go into their shell against players like LMA, Griffin and Randolph; you will see the Rockets go to Hayes to stabilize the situation. With Harden and Lawson the Rockets can get away with Hayes beating on people sometimes.

9. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

It is my thought that Hayes + DMo, presuming he's healthy 11/1, enable CC to
    get big minutes in RGV for first few weeks of the season.

I have no clue what Chuck has left in his wagon but I am confident his smarts are still part of his BB pkg.

10. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Now, there's a man with nada left in the tank. Just worth 6 fouls to go along with his sick scowl.

11. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

This is one of the few times I'll agree with you about something. Nice post

12. khasnarnadar

khasnarnadar Member

Chuck Hayes is still only 32 year old so I'm sure he still has a lot more in his tank than advertised.

13. Matt78777

Matt78777 Contributing Member

agreed. His game is built on hard work and strength, two things that age well.

14. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Chuck Hayes went to a couple teams where he really just kinda slid down the pecking order. He turned into what he was when it came time to draft him out of college: just another 6'6" power forward / center, what's so special about those? But he wasn't utilized well.

If he's retained his defense and his high-post passing, then the naysayers here will desist.

Well, except those posters receiving whispered messages from the not-so-smart phones they stare at 17 hours a day (gotta sleep sometime, right?) and then repeat those messages in bbs posts:

"Chuck Hayes? He's even older than Dorsey! We coulda had LaMarcus Aldridge! We coulda had ALDRIDGE!"

AAAAAAAHHH!!! My eyes!! (splashes water in eyes) It burns, it burns....

15. joeson332

joeson332 Member

Still remember when he made KG his b****

16. mag

mag Contributing Member

I rather invest in young talent. Hayes is already past his prime, on a decline and there is not upside having him on the team. On the other hand, a young talent can develop and worse case scenario it will be as bad as Hayes is.
    I just can see other teams fouling him to take advantage of his terrible free throws. We already have enough of that.

17. s.b713

s.b713 Member

One thing that's very underrated from the Chuck Wagon he's not only a good post defender. He's also very skilled passing from the post.

18. waytookrzy079

waytookrzy079 Member

This

Dwight was out for half the season and while Dorsey filled in ok, Hayes is definitely an upgrade with just his IQ alone.

He's only 32 - younger than our starting and backup PGs that led the team to the WCF, so for those that are saying he's "done" or "washed up", you wanna see what he excels at. He's not a player that will fill up the stat sheet. He brings all the intangibles that don't show up on the stat sheet.

19. cheeno

cheeno Contributing Member

For you Youngins out there.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/oiW1S7rD3Y0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

20. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

The team is flush with young talent and is trying to contend NOW. Not in 3-4 years. Adding more guys who aren't ready to be front and center during prime time does us no good in big playoff games. Chuck Wagon is exactly what this team needs in a limited role as the ultimate defensive stopper in the post. Put him next to Dwight with Ariza at SF and you're talking about arguably the best defensive front line in the league. That lineup will absolutely kill any run teams attempt to make us its bigs.

He's also a better free throw shooter than D12 or Jsmoove (over the last few seasons).