1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Petition to Daryl Morey: Sign Big Al Now!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by eman, Jul 18, 2015.

1. malakas

malakas Member

ahahahahahaha
    If he was bigger than Big AL then he should be commited immediately to a clinic for obesity.

2. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

If I were a video game GM for the Rockets, I'd trade pieces for a PG and stick Williams at the end of the bench.

But we're all at the mercy of the ever patient (overly patient?) Morey at this point.

3. eman

eman Contributing Member

Bigger Al pushed Hasheem Thabeet around like he was taking out the trash.

4. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

He reminds me a little bit of Jarred Sullinger in that he plays below the basket. I'm concerned about how his game will translate to the NBA when he will be facing bigger more athletic big men. Jarred has done well IMO but you just never know until the player goes against NBA talent if his below the basket game will translate.

He does have a very nice soft touch. I would certainly be happy to sign him to a contract this summer. The Rockets can sign up to 20 players during the summer so there would be no need to cut anyone to sign him.

5. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

One reason why Bigger Al has not been signed yet likely has to do with KJ McDaniels. Ideally, the Rockets can sign KJ to a deal that only uses a portion of the $5.4M MLE, which leaves some of the MLE left with which to sign 2nd round pick Harrell and a rookie FA like Bigger Alan Williams.

By using a portion of the MLE to sign these rookies, the Rockets are allowed to have a deal lasting up to 4 years (with whatever level of guarantee that the sides can agree upon) if they can convince the players to take it. If the Rockets only uses minimum salary exceptions to sign these guys, the longest that the contract can last is 2 years.

6. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Good points. I also got a good chuckle. Instant classic nickname.

7. ling ling

ling ling Member

Paging Alan Williams: You are doing it all wrong.

Call yourself an undersized stretch 4, and would have already gotten yourself a contract with the Rockets.

8. CertifiedTroll

The Ladel 2.0! Get it done!

9. eman

eman Contributing Member

I figured he could rebound. And man, can he rebound. What surprised me was how well he ran the floor and got and held early position. Actually posts up, seals, calls for the ball, catches the ball, and scores with either hand. Passes accurately. Hustles. Great hands and footwork.

I think he and MonstaTrezz are going to play a long time in the NBA. C'mon Morey.

10. Rokman

Rokman Member

I want an all big lineup with Harden at PG and Bev as his backup.

PG- HARDEN / BEVERLEY / TERRY
    SG- BREWER / THORNTON / PAPA
    SF- ARIZA / MCDANIELS / DEKKER
    PF - MOTIEJUNAS / JONES / HARRELL
    C - HOWARD / CAPELA/ WILLIAMS

I dont know, maybe i don't.

11. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

with smith gone we have to sign al after the summer league he's having. they overplayed aiza and bev last season. can do the same with capella at pf. after the playoffs its clear he deserves pt to backup dwight, he's fast enough for pf too. then have harrel and al fight or split the rest of the backup pf minutes. that and any small ball lineups with ariza.

they have to take this hchance if they wanna trade for a good pg.

12. SDsportsjunkie

Sign him now; cut him later?

Not limited to 15 roster spots at this point. Sign him up and see what happens when camp opens.

13. Ns575

Ns575 Member

Harden is turnover prone bringing the ball up the court. I don't think it'd be a great idea.

14. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

as long as he doenst get more to's and we can defend the opposing pgs well, this iis worth a try. if it works run with it till they can get a trade for a pg.

15. rocketjunkie

rocketjunkie Member

This is also the reason why they wouldn't offer the Mle to josh. It wasn't just about KJ it was about to sign Harrell etc to longer contracts to keep their value low for longer.

16. PointZero

PointZero Member

What a plan. Get to the West Finals and then take ten step back and rebuild with cheap second round picks.

17. JuNx

JuNx Contributing Member

Dude plays hard but I don't see anything special.

18. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

That's the beauty of it. He is like a ninja. He's got you before you even know what happened.
    Why don't they just cut Dorsey already? He ain't ever gone be worth the roster spot. Apparently he left all his talent in Europe.

19. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I read it as Big AI

Andre Igoudala?
    Allen Iverson?

20. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

You make it sound like every rookie should be signed using a portion of the MLE.

hogwash

As you say, you can always sign them for one/two-year minimum. What makes that hard is not your strategy but the agent. So, if the agent comes in saying "more than 2yr." Then you negotiate from there. You don't treat everyone like Parsons. Or maybe you do.