1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[sources] - Sam Dekker may need back surgery

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by arjun, Jul 14, 2015.

1. knits stekcor

knits stekcor Member

Everything I have read about Sam Dekker's injury (e.g., injury reports citing lower back pain, leg pain, etc.) suggests that he has a herniated disc or some kind of disc generation. As a person who has suffered through a herniated disc, I can attest to the fact that they can come on very suddenly and could have been near impossible for the Rockets' medical staff to spot without having performed a full body MRI. An MRI would show a herniated disc protruding, or in the case of degenerative discs that may eventually herniate, it would show symptoms of degeneration. I may be mistaken, but I don't think it's conventional (or even allowed) for teams to perform MRI's on every draft prospect that they bring in for a workout.

Before I had my herniated disc, I was playing basketball and lifting weights on a regular basis. I had a sore back from time to time, but plenty of other times it felt great with no symptoms. If the Rockets asked during pre-draft whether Dekker had any known back issues, and Dekker lied and said he didn't have any, then Dekker is in the wrong and not the Rockets.

1 person likes this.
  2. Rox Addict

Rox Addict Contributing Member

And I'll add they linger for life as I have to deal with degenerative disc disorder and herniation

3. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

A physical trainer/coach?

[​IMG]

4. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

And I'll add that I've had an L5/S1 disc fusion with a couple of titanium rods in my lower back and it changed my life, not in a good way, either. I sure hope this report is wrong.

5. malakas

malakas Member

Lower back pain is not a pathognomic symptom of hernia or even sciatica.
    Hold your horses.

6. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Pathognomonic. Sorry, couldn't help myself. Don't own any horses, and really hope this report is mumbo jumbo.

7. malakas

malakas Member

thanx. :)
    In greek it's pathognomic but nice to learn the english terminology.

Yeah don't buy it until we hear something reliable. Sciatica is not so easy to hide as simply Dekker saying " i don't have a problem with my back". The guy had to go through the Suns doctor examination.

8. zcarenow

zcarenow Member

he injured it while mowing the lawn.

9. Play07

Play07 Member

dude is nice been watching him on NBA TV, the thing is if morey drafted him we wouldnt hear a peep about dekker and everyone would love that we have a PG to at least look forward to who can play D, get to rim, tall, low TOs, big assist.

but since we got dekker, its you have to take best player on the board no PG will get playing time etc.

its this guy named ndour looks like a fried & harell for knicks a rookie plays good D, has a face up game, and rebounds well

10. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

FWIW, he retweeted this..could mean he's excited to play at the start of the season. Or not...

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">The draft is over rated... Check ball already! You can't hide after the draft is over</p>&mdash; Isaiah Thomas (@Isaiah_Thomas) <a href="https://twitter.com/Isaiah_Thomas/status/613115383353057280">June 22, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

11. sabesque

sabesque Member

What is the connection with dekker?

12. sabesque

sabesque Member

Never mind thought it said tweeted. Now I see he retweeted. Hopefully it's a chip on his shoulder.

13. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Thomas is basically saying, let's play already, so it could be Dekker indicating he feels the same way and expects to be ready when play really starts.

14. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

This could be our year. And injuries once again haunt us before the season even starts. :(

15. knits stekcor

knits stekcor Member

Low back pain is absolutely a symptom of a herniated disc. Maybe not everyone with a herniated disc has it, but certainly some do. That being said, the reason I thought it might be a herniated disc is that I recall seeing a report that Dekker was held out of a summer league game because of leg pain. I can't find it anymore, but that was my recollection.

Leg pain together with low back pain are suggestive that there may be an issue with the discs. It could certainly be something else, but frequently it is the discs. Isn't that the purpose of an internet forum, to speculate?

16. Butterfingers

Butterfingers Contributing Member

I wouldnt blame him honestly. Gotta take care of yourself.

17. Sanity2disChaos

We should have drafted grant.....unless morey surprises us. :/

18. malakas

malakas Member

of course but it's not pathognomonic. That's what I'm saying. It can be many other things or nothing at all.
    If it's a hernia that caused sciatica I can't see how it escaped so many team doctors. If he even had sciatica I can't understand how he could have gone through so many pre draft workouts one day after the other while also travelling around. I guess it could be possible but it's not probable. He is very young after all.

I'm not taking anything in this thread as true until I see factual confirmation by the team. That's all. :)
    People like to panic here a bit too much.

19. fonzie_004

fonzie_004 Member

meh, sad if true, but if you think he was getting burn this season you're probably delusional anyway. Sign KJ as insurance

20. TesseracT

TesseracT Member

is there any reason at all to believe OP?