1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why haven't we resign Josh Smith yet?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ThatboyPhuong, Jul 7, 2015.

1. malakas

malakas Member

This is unreal. Two teams fighting over bargnani?
    Bad for us i guess. Kings have around 5mil capspace.

2. Crashlanded19

Crashlanded19 Member

The Cali Tax bridges the gap between our offer and the Kings.

3. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

4. malakas

malakas Member

no it's not official. They listed him like this because he's an UFA and right now he is not a part of the team.

5. ksny15

ksny15 Member

We better bring him back. We won't find a better big off the bench for our system than Smoove

6. fonzie_004

fonzie_004 Member

the more I think about it, the more I think he isn't coming back - I want him back but just my feelings

7. Rokman

Rokman Member

My logic tells me that Morey is working the phones on a multi-player trade to relieve the glut of forwards we have on this team with the return of a starting point guard. I think he would lose leverage if everyone knew he had Smith already and needed a dump. He wants to get as much value as he can and maybe clear some money off the books in order slim down the roster and create a little more money for Smith. You know he wants him here. Dwight wants him here. Losing Smith for nothing definitely hurts our chances of retaining Dwight when he becomes a FA which could be after this year if he chooses to opt out and Morey and McHale know it. I think if Harrell shows some real value after summer league he could be moved in a deal but Morey needs his "assets" to show their value in order to cash them in. Right now the PF rotation stands at:

1. Jones
    2. Motiejunas
    3. Harrell
    4. Capela (technically a PF but will probably be used as a C)
    ...5. Smith

Everyone knows Smith makes one of Jones, Motiejunas or Harrell a must move to make the roster fit. Smith needs to hide like he is doing so Morey can make this team better and resign him afterward.

Anyone agree?

8. fonzie_004

fonzie_004 Member

yeah I do, but it's risky, Josh needs a job he may just take one considering he owes us nothing

9. malakas

malakas Member

I definitely agree.
    There are people saying " but in other teams he won't play so much" however if you look at OUR team we have the most forwards in the league. Even if some go to Dleague still the depth chart is insane.

10. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

I just watched highlights of game 6 against the Clippers. We need this guy. I don't understand how we can let him walk.

11. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Contributing Member

Just because there is no public acknowledgement of an offer does not mean that he hasn't been offered. The fact that he has not accepted another team's offer sheet says a lot. I think he's just biding time letting Morey do his thing before he signs on the dotted line. It would be foolish for Morey to trade away his beloved center's friend. As CODMAN said, the brotherhood is deep, and Josh is part of it.

12. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Really not much else that needs to be said. We're the perfect spot for him. He adds another element for us. Gotta bring him back.

13. htownking

htownking Member

The Rockets are quiet on the Josh Smith front because they probably know he's coming back. There might be some sort of verbal agreement behind closed doors that we don't know about. There aren't usually a ton of leaks from the Rockets.

They're probably focusing their energy on trying to upgrade the PG position and have that venture their priority.

14. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I am unhappy that the Nets grabbed Bargnani from the Kings. Josh may still end up in Sacramento.

15. buck711

buck711 Member

Is it possible they are waiting for all other deals to finalize so they can give Josh whatever is left over?

16. TruthBeTold

TruthBeTold Member

Definitely

17. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

I think the rotation is D Mo, Smith, Jones. Jones will probably never get it. He puts up decent numbers against bad teams (and the Spurs) but disappears when it counts. Harrell might have an end of the bench spot but he's an unproven rookie and looks raw as hell. Capela is most definitely not a PF lol.

18. micah1j

micah1j Member

@Jonathan_Feigen: Brewer not signed. Just about scheduling his physical. Nothing new on Smith. No rush to take non-Bird tender offer.

19. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

I think they'll sign Smith on a one-year deal.

Trade TJones.

Pay D-Mo next year.

20. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

This makes the most sense to me.