1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Donatas Motiejunas - X Factor

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DudeWah, Nov 23, 2014.

1. TheBeard

TheBeard Member

cant get a rebound or block a shot, and gets bullied in the paint...and somehow is a "top 10 defender in the NBA". Only on Clutchfans.

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Dude Harden can rebound, but who is calling him a top 10 defender?

Oh wait, you mean DMo.....lol

DD

3. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

Your basketball ignorance is astounding.

4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

He is the only 7ft and we got no offseason news, so why not keep talking his value up

5. omgTHEpotential

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/-JrmjdOPuWc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/7HpUCAVQoJY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

6. radcan61

radcan61 Contributing Member

I have to say I'm a big d-mo fan, i have always thought he was the one that would brake out. So i will try too give my two cent on what i saw this year.

A young big who became a man ( in the nba )
    A kid who went from no playing time to a big piece of this team.
    I love all his skills which have been discussed here at length.

but what impressed me the most was his mentality he had bad game and at times was his own worst enemy, but no other player ever shut him down. Some may have had good games against him but you never said oh no this guy kills him or really has his number.

i think (yes I know that's not worth much ) this year his growth will surprise us again, this same team together again is going to be huge for him I think he will be around 18, 8, 4 with a chance to be somewhat better.

7. omgTHEpotential

Good points. I personally think 18/8/4 is a way too optimistic expectation... 4 assists?.. Umm... I'd say 15.5/7.5/2 is a bit more reasonable and realistic.

8. radcan61

radcan61 Contributing Member

I say that because you could put him at the top of the key like we did with chuck haze has and have guys cut and finish, the one skill i think is not talked about enough is his passing the guy always knows where the next pass goes

9. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

There are some beautiful things in these highlights. Excited to see 2015 DMO.

10. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

He's played three seasons. Seemed like he just grasped the speed of the NBA much better this past season. I think he's only going to get better. The guy's always been a hard worker, understands the game.

He's not going to be a much better rebounder than this. That's because we have him out on the perimeter sometimes so it's hard for him to recover and get rebounds on those posessions. He doesn't have that kind of athleticism, but that's what makes him a good pairing with Dwight.

In his fourth season, a contract year, I think he's going to impress, big time. Morey better be ready to pay up next summer. We should also really manage his recovery carefully. Create some depth at PF/C so Motiejunas can be eased back in.

11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

He killed Anthony Davis time and time again - that was enough for me to realize we have to keep him.

DD

12. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

I want' to see DMo be more aggressive this season looking for his own shot and not being so passive when he has a mismatch or if he gets the ball deep in the post. Too often last season he would defer to someone else when he had the better shot.

There were times when he put the team on his back, Minny game last season after James fouled out comes to mind. He kind of went all passive when Dwight came back late in the season after taking the next step.

He keeps talking about wanting to be the best player. Now I want to see the confidence that he is the best player. Play with some added offensive aggression. He has the skills for sure.

13. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

Crash, you are exactly right and the mental adjustment to being the second best scorer on a top five Wc team is just as big as the physical adjustment to the speed and physicality of the NBA game. And it comes in steps.

Last year was Dmos and the teams realization that he can step into the major void in the offense when Harden sits, is off, or the defense is focused on stopping Harden. There was further adjustment when Howard came back.

Heading into this year, both DMO and the team have an understanding of what he can do, and his offensive efficiency and fit relative to others on the team. He should be the second option w harden on the floor, and the first option when harden rests, which should be more often.

We now have a greater feel for what sets work for DMO, and more can be tailored around him in the offseason.

If everyone on the team wants to advance to the finals, they all have to buy into several things:

Harden needs to take the next step and make his teammates better

Part of that is shouldering less offensive burden during the reg season, so that others have room to grow.

Howard has to understand that he is still the second most important player on the team, but DMO is the second option on offense, not him. DMO must be willing to take on that role and not defer.

DMO must be a consistent threat from the arc with harden on the floor.

14. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

This is why you have to throw out the stats and use your eyes.

15. Bo6

Bo6 Member

Also, DMO played a lot of time at C when Dwight was out which brings down his defensive stats. He is night and day better defensively when playing PF.

16. valorita

valorita Member

If Dmo is healthy, we are set at PF.
    He is a great complement to James and more importantly Howard.
    Resign Smith, trade Tjones for a pg and we are set with a front court of:

Howard/Capella
    DMo/Smith
    with Dorsey and Montrez as victory cigars.
    That may be the best big man rotation in the nba

17. roslolian

roslolian Member

DMo was inconsistent last year, he started out poorly, reached his peak when Dwight was out and then played horribly once Tjones got back, those should've affected his overall stats.

However if you just check out the time he was getting mins with Dwight out I think it will paint a different picture, because IIRC the Rox defense didn't go down that badly and we only had Dorsey and DMo manning the C and PF spots. I don't really depend much on defensive stats because I don't think there's a stat out there that can accurately measure good defense for individuals, a really good defense results in the opponent passing the ball to another guy (ie no shot attempt) how do you even measure that? The defensive statistics compare shots made vs missed on opponent however can it measure shots they should've taken but given to another teammate who made the shot because the dude marking him sucked on D?

18. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

That's what I did, and is exactly how I came to the conclusion that Kwame Brown is the most skilled big man of all time.

19. nobie

nobie Member

you check amount of time opponent shoot's vs him and league average in that amount of time. If lets say average is 12shots and 50% in 36mins. And against him only only 6 were taken at 50% in 36mins. Either hes defending really good and forcing to pass the ball or he's not defending anyone at all and hes terrible.

20. csc177

csc177 Member

Check out D Mos scouting report on NBADraft.net. The potential at 7ft this guy has is incredible. We saw glimpses of that last year before he got hurt. We give the Warriors a run for their money if Pat Bev and DMo play in that series!

We truly have something special in DMo. I just hope Morey recognizes this and doesn't trade the big fella.