1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cyberx, paging cyberx ....

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Two Sandwiches, Jul 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ksny15

ksny15 Member

I really hope Morey doesn't pass up a possible opportunity to land a Lawson, Collison or a Lowry ( If the opportunity presents it's self) for the slim possibility of landing KD.

2. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Do any of those contacts allows to keep flexibility? Otherwise I would my count on it.

3. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Lawson should be the target. Cmon Morey!

4. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

If Dwight really wants to win a title, he must take a pay cut like Timmy D or Drik N

5. edward nigma

edward nigma Member

He will eventually have no choice.

6. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I think its important to not get caught up in the "We can revive anyone" mode/mentality as an organization and continue to make smart personnel decisions & gambles on revival projects.

See Dallas with the Rondo trade. They convinced themselves that Carlisle is the majestic mastermind who can revive anyone, and gave up some seriously valuable assets, and in the meantime Rondo completely destroyed their chemistry on and off the court. Then the media circus came as well with the drama which didn't help.

All because they got cocky about being revival masterminds who could make anything work because of their "culture" and because their coach is a star whisperer.

Sounds to me that in the D-Will case, there is some tampering going on involving the Mavs putting birds in him and his agents ears to force a waive and acquire on their part which should be illegal, but we know Cuban isn't afraid of a good ole tampering fine.

If DWill shakes loose (I wouldn't count on it as a straight up waive & stretch), I wouldn't have an issue with Morey kicking the tires on him, but I doubt they would gamble largely on them being able to revive him automatically. There is too much evidence over the past 4 years of him being unable to stay healthy, and having issues with coaches/front office officials.

Josh Smith's health was never in question, and in Detroit there wasn't much to report on him being a locker room cancer. He also was on a one-year small deal that could easily have been waived at a seconds notice of personality malfunction. There wasn't much risk in that situation.

With D-Will, we have to see what the going rate would be, and if it would require a multi-year deal type of thing. The Rockets still have the MLE. We shall see, but Morey & co. take risk management very seriously, and it shouldn't just be a given that just because the Rockets revived Josh Smith (actually they really just used him more correctly... he is still good Josh/bad Josh), doesn't mean they should risk trying to revive everyone under the sun.

7. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Lowry 3 yrs 36 M, Lawson 2 yrs 25 M, Collison 2 yrs 10.2 M.

8. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

I tho't Cubes and D-Will were about as close as Cubes and DAJ. :confused:

9. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

How much of a factor in D-Will's decision will his close buddy DHo be?

And since D-Will would be stretched then 1/2 his $s less vet min (do I have that correct?) go back to Nyets anyway.

10. dobro1229

I guarantee you that the final stipulation from the Dan Fegan, Summer of 2013 demand declaration, includes the Rockets agreeing to offer Dwight a max contract in the Summer of 2016 if he chooses to opt out... which he will.

The Rockets would likely have to go against their word to not honor that agreement, and that would likely mean that Fegan would once again steer Dwight towards the Mavs.

I don't know how tight Cyberx is with Relativity, but it would be much appreciated if he can get info as to what Fegan's gameplan is, and if the Rockets have any power here.

I have bad news for Rockets fans. This is not the last time we have heard these words used together-

-Dan Fegan
    -Superstar center whose name starts with a D
    -"intrigued with signing in Dallas"
    -Chandler Parsons the recruiter
    -Mark Cuban

I think when this comes out, they go ahead, and offer Dwight a max deal that will pretty much hamper the Rockets moving forward. Hopefully they can convince him to at least structure his deal a bit more team friendly to help them acquire a 2016 free agent, but I doubt it will happen because.... Dan Fegan.

11. Fantasma Negro

I don't know, I think we should go young with Shabazz Napier and with Josh Smith leaning towards signing in Sacramento a good replacement would be another Josh, Josh McRoberts. Both are available

12. sammy

Dirk started to take a pay cut last year at like 37?

13. sammy

Lawson is an elite play-maker. I don't want a very young player unless it's for a stud which isn't gonna happen.

#49533 sammy, Jul 10, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2015
  14. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Doesn't matter. If Dwight really wants to win a title with the Rockets, he HAS to take a pay cut.

The landscape of the NBA has changed. Superstars are willing to take paycuts to allow other stars to join them and give them the best shot at a title.

15. Krizzle

Krizzle Member

Did we get Rubio yet guys? :cool:

16. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Well, Fegan already cost us Parsons. To be honest Ariza matched better with Harden; Harden and Parsons each wanted to be the star scorer/passer, and play no defense. It hurt how it happened, and that he went to f***ing Dallas.

This Fegan / Cuban unholy match....yes, I wouldn't be stunned in the least if Fegan again tries to steer Dwight to Dallas. He did it before, albeit without success.

I don't think it's a given, and I don't want Dwight to leave, especially to Mark Cuban, but if he goes, that's a lot of cap room for us to work with.

Go back to sleep. We'll wake you if anything happens.

You are probably going to be reeeeeeeeeeeally well-rested.

17. YOLO

YOLO Member

i think many may be more focused on the name if anything. Dwill has some gas left but its about as much as having the gas light on. unfortunately injuries have derailed this guy. the things he used to do so well that made him arguably one of the top guards in the league at one point are no longer there. makes sense he wants to be released and go back home now so he can just cruise for the rest of his career now that the pg position opened up in dallas.

18. dobro1229

I really don't know how close of friends they are and if that impacts anything. I know Dwight wanted to play with him in Brooklyn years ago when he was still with the Magic, or it was rumored. However Morey said in an interview a few weeks ago about how when Dwight and Harden come them and say "what about this guy" they are pretty open to showing them here's why we shouldn't look in that direction, and they are apparently responsive.

So long story short, sounds like its Morey's call to make IF Deron shakes loose.

However, DWill has wanted out of Brooklyn for sometime. This really isnt news. What is news, is the way it came out in the past 12 hours after the Mavs missed out on DJ in the way they did, they are obviously pushing to save face with their fans, and Stein is chummy with the Mavs.

... this screams to me Mavs are tampering legally or illegally to try and convince a power play to get the Nets to waive Deron so they can sign him. The Mavs would be doing him a solid by forcing that power play with comes with the contingency of signing with the Mavs in return.... more than likely.

Reg DWill's salary if stretched. Here's a segment from Good Ole Larry Coon reg how this works-

If another team signs a player who has cleared waivers, the player's original team is allowed to reduce the amount of money it still owes the player (and lower their team salary) by a commensurate amount. This is called the right of set-off. This is true if the player signs with any professional team -- it does not have to be an NBA team. The amount the original team gets to set off is limited to one-half the difference between the player's new salary and the minimum salary for a one-year veteran (if the player is a rookie, then the rookie minimum is used instead).

For example, suppose a fifth-year player is waived with one guaranteed season remaining on his contract for $5 million. If this player signs a $1 million contract with another team for the 2011-12 season, his original team gets to set off $1 million minus $762,195 (the minimum salary for a one-year veteran in 2011-12), divided by two, or $118,902. The team is still responsible for paying $4,881,098 of the original $5 million. Note that between his prior team and new team the player will earn a combined $5,881,098, which was more than he earned prior to being waived.

Confused yet??....

Let's say, as an example, the Rockets come in with a MLE offer at 5 million once he gets waived.

The vet min is around 1 mil. The difference is 4 million. The Brooklyn Nets get to "Set off" roughly 2 million dollars in that case.

So if Brooklyn waives and stretches him, they could be paying up to around 8 mil per year still for him for 5 more years (ouch) if he's only making the vet min elsewhere. If he's making MLE or more, it could "Set off" millions.

Long story short, I think it makes little sense for Brooklyn to waive him, and not see if you can try and trade him next season. Joe Johnson can likely be traded for to get you under the cap, and he's unlikely to resgin

19. Rockets_12

Rockets_12 Member

All Morey needs is a meeting with D-Will.

You bring H&H, McHale, Tad, and Morey.

Sell him on analytics and the chance at a title.

Use Josh Smith as an example of reviving career.

Offer him MLE and if he accepts let KJ walk.

20. micah1j

micah1j Member

Dwight will be eligible for a 5 year contract with max starting about 28m next year the with cap at 90m, if he opts out. I suspect he will. Mavs/Parsons/Fegan will all be pursuing him. 5 years 28/30/32/34/36 = 160m. Mavs or others can offer 4 years 120m.

Or he can take 1+1 depending on health. With Chris Paul & Lebron leading the charge in changing the CBA, looking to eliminate maxes, or increase maxes who knows what the max could be in 2017 when cap is to be 108m. With the same CBA his max would start at 33m. :eek:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.