1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Paging BimaThug

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rocketjunkie, Mar 9, 2015.

1. rocketfan21

rocketfan21 Member

Anyone can chime in on this if they want, but I decided to put it here.

I'm wondering why so many people are saying the Pellies overpaid for Asik. It confuses me because when we gave him 30 over 3 years or whatever, people were saying we overpaid and then after he shined for us they were calling Morey a genius for the move. That was roughly 10 mil per year and now he's getting roughly 12 per year after proving as a worthy center. He's a good fit next to Davis who can stretch the floor and both are defensive monsters. The cap spike and the additional fee that bigs grab these days would make me think New Orleans got a good deal. Is it the length of the contract that people think is bad with him getting up there in years?

Anyone can feel free to chime in, it just has me a bit boggled. I know this might be a weird spot to put this since Bima's specialty is more about the cap structure so feel free to call me stupid for putting it here if anyone wants.

2. JHL85

JHL85 Member

Rockets gave Asik 25 million over 3 years, which was a good deal since Rockets desperately needed a center who can defend the rim.

The new deal for Asik is not a good deal for the following reasons: (i) Asik is getting paid way more under the new contract (5 year 58 million, 44 million guaranteed); (ii) Asik is utilized less by NOP compared to Rockets (26.1 minutes per game during the regular season and was used less towards the end of the season and the post season); (ii) Asik doesn't appear to be a good fit next to Anthony Davis.

3. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I'd stop analyzing contracts like this completely. It isn't about X$ vs X$, with the cap changing over the next couple of years, it's about what % of your cap space you're allocating to the player compared to the % of cap space that was allocated to that player in the previous era.

4. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Exactly, with what the cap will become, this could be an average contract..

5. mattlivin05

mattlivin05 Member

Mr bima what does the bump in salary cap do for rockets

6. DeathStar

DeathStar Member

Yeah dude what's up?

1 person likes this.
  7. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Morey was hailed a genius for his method of poaching restricted free agents using the new CBA. He gave Asik a 5/5/15 deal - which would have hit the Chicago books in exactly that fashion (ie, luxury tax nightmare in year 3). They opted not to match as a result.
    But the new CBA meant that he showed against our cap as 8.3/8.3/8.3
    However, what we paid him was 5/5 - then traded him to the Pelicans, who paid him 15, while having him only count as 8.3 against their cap.

It was a smart move to try and grab a young defensive big man. But Asik's game didn't progress all that much - he still has problems with his hands, and giving cheap fouls, and so some might rightly question a $12mill per contract now.

It probably isn't too bad for a big defensive guy (see Tyson Chandler) - bigs who can shut down the paint are very valuable in todays NBA.

8. Aaron_D

Aaron_D Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-partner="tweetdeck"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">For HOU, it will give them the flexibility of using the Full ML and Bi-annual without going into the tax.</p>&mdash; Bobby Marks (@BobbyMarks42) <a href="https://twitter.com/BobbyMarks42/status/618945366642302977">July 9, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

9. HeWhoIsLunchbox

HeWhoIsLunchbox Contributing Member

Nope, used Bi-Annual Exception on Smoove last season.

10. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Paging BimaThug! Now that all players from our roster last year appear to have their fates determined (re-signed, or gone to the Clippers), what does this mean for our current cap status? Is it right that all we have left is the remainder of our MLE this year to sign Harrell and any other potential FA's/UDFA's?

Maybe even a new Clutchfans article would be appreciated. :)

11. WilliamGCash

WilliamGCash Member

What about Jason Terry?

12. malakas

malakas Member

Bima..I'm sorry I can't tweet you but if you see this can you explain if you can please?
    It says that Prigs contract is guaranteed today. Fully guaranteed?
    After it is fully guaranteed then it is no longer a good trade chip.

13. micah1j

micah1j Member

Bima we need a Hard Cap 101. What does it stop the Rockets from doing? I assume Morey is still going to use MLE to sign Harrell.

14. Scolalist

Scolalist Member

It's an expiring contract, so it's always a good trade chip

15. Misigns

Misigns Member

http://data.shamsports.com/content/pages/data/salaries/2014/knicks.jsp

Hold your mouse over Prigioni's name

There is no guarantee date.

16. Scolalist

Scolalist Member

Marcus Thornton upgraded

17. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Looks like Prigs contract becomes fully guaranteed tonight at midnight. So we expecting him to get waived here in the next couple hours?

18. malakas

malakas Member

There is no player to go with it, because Prigioni is retired. So even if it's not bad, is not as good trading chip as before. It turns to just a garbage contract like Dorsey's.
    And this guy Bobby Marks who tweeted it was a cap expert with the Nets so he probably knows more than some website.

19. emoreland

emoreland Contributing Member

Bima, can you crunch the numbers and tell us where we stand now after the Lawson trade? :cool:

20. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Lol. When I said waived I guess I really meant traded and waived.