1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Josh Smith targeted by Sacramento?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Jul 3, 2015.

1. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

That's not the way it works. There's a thing called "salary set-off" that adjusts how much Detroit owes Smith. It's not as simple as his new salary being deducted from what Smith is owed by Detroit.

Here's an article that explains it.
    http://www.basketballinsiders.com/cap-101-the-stretch-provision-and-offset/

Basically, it comes down to Smith making an additional 50 cents for each dollar of his new deal.

2. hakeemthagreat

Well that was AFTER he declined our offer. According to some of these guys:

Llull- Would've elevated us to elite status without ever playing one NBA game. Apparently he was missing piece. Never mind we haven't even seen him against elite talent

DMo- Is "untouchable" and a cornerstone of the franchise after having a decent season. "If we had DMo, we would've won the GS series". Never mind his D and terrible rebounding

Josh Smith- Jacks up too many shots. Is stupid and easily replaceable. Never mind he was one of the biggest factors in our best postseason in 20 years.

3. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

Smith and Rondo on the same team? Better call MD Anderson.

4. D-rock

D-rock Member

The haters are so blinded by their ignorance that they cannot even comprehend this. Without Smoove and Brew, Rockets are not 2nd seed in West, never mind reach Western Finals. Can't teach stupid, has to be genetic.

5. seeingred

seeingred Member

Ariza does the dirty work and is tough as nails - no doubt. But Smith is a little crazy and plays great when he's pissed off. That nudges him toward the Maxwell/Artest category.

6. ZomgZ

ZomgZ Member

Why does everyone suggest a sign-n-trade, when they dont have to sign and trade nobody, and just sign the agent outright with a contract lol i dont get it...

7. NotChandlerParsons

Because then we wouldn't get stuff for free ;)

8. NicktheBrick

NicktheBrick Member

Because this is Rick Perry's Texas we are talking about, the Home of Stupid. Any trailer-trash who can send Ted Cruz to the Senate can think anything.

9. GanjaRocket

GanjaRocket Member

They have medical mar1juana in cali it's ok

10. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

Fair. :grin:

11. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

D&D *******

12. PersianRocket

PersianRocket Member

I think Smith stays and Jones is gone. Especially if LMA goes else where.

13. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Big money talks. I hope Josh Smith will realize that Houston is the best fit for him.

14. TesseracT

TesseracT Member

can't believe there are people that dont want Smoove back

did yall miss the 2nd round?

15. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

I guess I'm the last guy that's unwilling to give up on Jones' potential. He looked great at the beginning of the year, pre-freak nerve injury. He looked even better when he came back from that injury and briefly returned to the starting lineup, *averaging* a double double before his second freak injury of the year, from which I believe he came back too fast out of necessity. I don't think his 2015 playoffs were representative of his actual game because I believe he was playing injured.

I love what Smith brought us last year. But I still believe Jones is at worst a very solid backup 4 and his FT shooting gives him the edge over Smith to me. If we didn't already have DH12 I'd be more willing to overlook Smith being about the worst FT shooter in the league, but we can't have two of the most hackable guys in the league in our core rotation. Do we really want a backup (or worse starting) 4 that we may have to sit in crunch time because he can't hit a FT? Remember, Brewer is extremely hackable too. That makes two rotation players that we might have to pull any time our opponent wants to screw with us. With Smith, it's three.

Jones is serviceable from the FT line (about the same as D-Mo) and though he's not a 3 point shooter he's as much of one as Smith is. He is also a smart passer, somewhat negating what Smith brings us in that area.

I freaking LOVE Josh Smith. Dude is my kind of player. But he's not getting any better at his FT's or 3's. If it's between him and Jones I feel much more confident with Jones. I am probably the only person on the board that feels this way.

2 people like this.
  16. old_eggplant

old_eggplant Member

Wow......what a line up;)

17. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

(in a solemn voice) "I'm...so sorry Sacramento, but the Rondo had already metastasized as soon as you signed him. I'm afraid there's nothing we can do."

18. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

No, there are a few DMo loyalists that are very threatened by talk of any other PF playing a role here and they seem to be very loud. It's a little hard to understand but it is what it is.

19. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Contributing Member

the question would be why would he want to sign with an organization that historically since the Maloof days hasn't done squat. Also rumors of internal strife in the locker room with a coach / player dissension with karl and dmc..

20. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

I'd offer Josh 3 years 24 million with a non guaranteed 4th year for 6 million... shows we value him as much as we do everyone else and let's a team finally grow together for once.

At least for 2-3 years until we reload