1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2015 Random Astros Trade Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by The Beard, May 2, 2015.

1. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

Then why bring them up as an upgrade. What you are saying is in the middle of a season where we are contending you would like to take a guy who so far has done what he is supposed to do (Drive in runs) and replace him with someone that might not be an an upgrade just to see how it works out. And if they tank, what then? Well I guess there is always next year. I think what the guys above are saying is don't fix what ain't necessarily broken. I personally don't think the way Singleton or Santana have played in their short major league careers that they are any sort of upgrade. And I don't think they will produce what the way Gattis is currently. The key phrase quoted above is decent hitter. What have Singleton or Santana done to show that they are decent hitters at the major league level. Nothing yet and they may or may not ever show anything. And I don't think the scenario you suggest is the best time to find out.

There may be issues with this offense but Gattis is far from the main one. Now if you want to talk about replacing Carter I'll listen.

2. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

On Cueto, the Zach Greinke deal to the Angels a few years back has been mentioned elsewhere as a model of what Cincy is likely to get. Greinke deal involved Brewers basically getting a mid-late Top 100 prospect and two lesser AA pitching prospects.

That would likely mean if Cincy traded with Houston, they would likely have their pick of any prospect not besides Appel and Phillips (excluding guys in majors besides Santana, Tucker, and Feliz) plus two guys not in the Astros top 10 or so prospects.

3. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

can't understand anyone suggesting Santana or Singleton at this point. They've had some chances to prove themselves and haven't done it. There's no reason to push them into a larger role on that front--especially when they're getting chances without that push. If things change and they show consistently for the next 3 weeks, then fine...but there are no signs of that

4. DoitDickau

DoitDickau Contributing Member

Nevermind, misread your post

#304 DoitDickau, Jul 1, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2015
  5. Joe Fan

Joe Fan Member

Bonilla is available

Still ...

[​IMG]

6. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Because the team has already invested, what? Three prospects to land Gattis? I'd prefer they not sink anymore cost into their DH. Find an upgrade from within.

Why is Carter an issue but Gattis isn't? Gattis' OB% is .03 higher than Marwin Gonzalez's, and despite more chances (he's had 189 runners on base compared to 159 for Carter) has just nine more RsBI than Carter.

I'm not suggesting Carter is good by any means (he strikes out way too much and he's not slugging near enough to justify the other parts of his game) - but the idea that he should be benched and Gattis shouldn't seems a little silly. Neither are very good.

7. fearthebeardman

Its not fair to lump those 2 in the same category. Santana had a bad stretch when he was called up last year but has played pretty decently for now and hes only 22. Singleton is 24 and looked lost for the greater part of a year.

8. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Crowd giving Cueto a standing ovation, Pena gave him a hug. Price a nice handshake. I think everyone is aware of what this could be… <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Reds?src=hash">#Reds</a></p>&mdash; C. Trent Rosecrans (@ctrent) <a href="https://twitter.com/ctrent/status/616320052678238209">July 1, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

9. Hey Now!

He's 23, and was 22 last year.

I continued to be amazed how quickly people want to give up on him...

10. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Maybe a lot of these fans see similarities with his performance thus far with that of Daryle Ward and Brett Wallace.... Singleton seems to be more of in a "prove it" mode amongst the fans, vs. people expecting it to just happen.

I do like that this regime didn't just automatically guarantee him a spot simply because of his guaranteed deal.

11. Dankush

Dankush Member

Maybe we don't have anything better and the risk of Singleton being worse than Carter is < the risk of losing another J.D.

IMO

12. FishBulb913

FishBulb913 Contributing Member

Wait, so Cueto has been traded? I haven't heard anything.

13. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

It is doubtful he pitches in Cincy again before traded as they are about to go on a road trip until AS break.

14. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If you say RsBI, should you not also say RsISP? Just curious

15. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Ward wasn't that bad, he just go jerked around a lot and played in an era fueled by PEDs. Of course, he could have been on PEDs like the rest of them.

16. Hey Now!

(You're assuming some of the fans were around in the late 90's?.......)

Yeah, sure - there are many legitimate reasons to be concerned. He *was* terrible last year. But Wallace and Ward ultimately have no bearing on Jon Singleton. He's 23 years old; he was called up last year with fairly limited AAA experience... the haste with which people seemingly want to kick dirt on his career is puzzling. The team's future is sooooooooooo much brighter if Singleton lives up to his potential.

Short of that, you'd think, with Chris Carter essentially filling the role of Matt Schaub, people would be SCREAMING for Singleton...

17. kaleidosky

I'm not giving up at all (not sure if that was directed at me at all). I'm just saying we shouldn't assume he's better than Gattis/Carter given what he's done thus far (and given our position--going for the playoffs). And that I'd be willing to include him in a deal...because I think he has value. Not because I've given up

18. kaleidosky

I totally see it with Ward (in addition to Wallace). Crazy. The big power 1B's with promise that have never delivered. Maybe even some Eric Anthony, who launched that shot in the Dome but never really panned out as a beast (though he had a decent few seasons), or Mike Simms.

So many of these guys. I guess we have to hope he's closer to a Hidalgo or even Lane-ish

19. Hey Now!

Yeah, more of a general comment... Nimo asked if my opinion/hope had changed after literally one game (4 PAs).

Maybe Nick is right and there's an earned built-in bias against heavier/thicker LH'ed 1B among this fan base... I don't know - it just seems odd how down people are on Singleton.

20. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Lets not pretend that he isn't without question marks... from the drug use, to actually "taking" the deal (people said it could be both a positive or a negative thing), to questions regarding his work ethic/maturity, to his horrible debut season last year.

I'd say there's definitely enough to question him... prior to looking into the previously mentioned examples of why some will maintain skepticism.

That being said, nobody should be giving up on him... Luhnow certainly hasn't.... but again, this regime isn't going to hand him anything regardless of his contract.